On balance, the UK made the correct decision in voting to leave the European Union.

nikhilworld123 has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

This debate is Round 2 of Tejretics's Summer Tournament. I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and wish him good luck going forward.

No Kritiks.
No Trolling.
No Google Docs, all arguments must be presented in text in the debate.
All sources shall be presented in the text of this debate.
No new arguments in the final Round unless it is Pro responding to a new argument brought up by Con in the previous round.
Use sportsman like conduct in this debate.
My opponent's acceptance of this debate shall be his consent to the waiving of his rights to contest any definitions that are defined or have yet to be defined in this debate.
No semantics.
Violation of any of these rules, or the structure of this debate shall result in an automatic forfeiture of the debate.

R1: Terms and definitions by Pro, acceptance by Con.
R2: Opening arguments on each side.
R3: Rebuttals.
R4: Rebuttals and conclusions.

On ballance- With all things considered.

UK- Nation consisting of England, Scottland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and colonies.

Correct- to set or make true, accurate, or right; remove the errors or faults from [1]

Decision- the act or process of deciding; determination, as of a question or doubt, by making a judgment [2]

EU- an association of European nations formed in 1993 for the purpose of achieving political and economic integration. Incorporating the European Community, the European Union's member states are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. [3]

1. (
2. (
3. (

I accept. I am looking forward for a good debate.

I thank my opponent for their paitence in waiting for me to post my round.

Contention 1: Security

One of the key issues that I'm quite sure that you have heard of is the issue of immigration. In the EU, there is a system known as the Schengen Information System, also known as SIS. This is the system that pratically allows for almost unrestricted immigration. The UK is not appart of SIS, but the current EU laws on immigration allows people to get passports and other documents which fast track UK immigration procedures [1].People are able to forge these and there have been many cases about Italian passports being forged. This allows people get into Britian almost instantly. Currently, during the Syrian refuggee crisis the EU is requiring that all member states to take in refuggees. The standing fine is 250,000 Euros for each refuggee these states turn down [2]. The UK is not obligated to abide by it, but other nations required can give these refuggees documents that can get them into the UK which would allow more and more refugges into the nation. Boarders would not be secure.

The issue caused by this is there are many terrorists invading Europe masquerading as refugees. Germany has discovered this the hard way as they have found several refugees to have ties to ISIS [3]. Reports have shown that in the past year that nearly half of all of the terror attacks in Europe have happened in the UK [4]. This has caused a major problem, not only for the coutnry, but their economy. These terror strikes can have devistating effects on the economy. We can see that there are instances of strikes and there are both long term and short term effects. Some of the short term effects are building destruction, loss of life and such while long term can be loss of confidence. To put this in perspective 9/11 had the short term impact loss of $27 billion while the long term was $3.3 trillion [5]. We can see that the 100's of terror strikes on the UK will have a huge effect on the economy and if the UK was the stay in the EU, not only would they be forced to either take in fines or refugees. The terror strikes in the UK would increase leading to greating econ loss or they would suffer by trying to defend their boarders to refuse the massive influx of refugees.

Contention 2: Sovereignty

The next issue here is the British sovereignty. It is no secrete that the EU has began to start to federalize its member nations. Reports have shown that in last September that many member states: Germany, France, Italy, and a few other nations have gotten together and have began to draw up documents to begin to Centralize Europe again [6]. This has been a repetitive aspect that has been again and again that Europe has tried this. The EU has been shown to have requiring their member states to follow many rules and regulations that violate national sovereignty. The EU had began to work on a Constitution in 2005 for a "United States of Europe." They are currently working on an increased Centralized Europe that would severely crack down on more "exit" movements in the EU [7]. The UK made the correct decission here as they would have had their nation crushed and punished under such a movement had they have ended up staying in the EU.

1. (
2. (
3. (
4. (
5. (
6. (
7. (

United we stand....

I wonder how leaving the European Union would be a correct decision. Remember all those countries that split and realised painfully that somehow the whole was bigger than sum of the parts?

UK could lose being the preeminent leader in the financial markets. They could lose their clout in the decision making process in Europe / World. List of losses could be elephantine.

However, they will achieve the bit of limiting the number of immigrants. But, I thought immigrants brought in some advantages. Well, thats another debate.

Another related point is of Scotland. Scotland seem to be interested in staying with the EU. Their voice for another referendum is strengthened by this "Leave" vote. Are they ready to separate from Scotland, which is endowed with resources? Crucial question.

I read an interesting article. It argued that such important matters should not be decided by a simple majority. It should be mandatory for at least two thirds of the population to side such a crucial decision. Many could have voted due to high emotional upheavals during the campaign. There is a possibility that many people do not understand the far reaching consequences of these complex situations. Again, thats another debate.

Are they moving from being Great Britain to Little England!!!? Only time will tell.

I thank my opponent for their response and for this round, I'm to refute their case.

My opponent is very vague here talking about. The UK has been the only nation that's even voted on leaving the EU let alone actually left. My opponent then has moved into talking about the potential loss of economic clout in the market place. The EU allows nations that leave the EU to set-up trade deals with other nations before they leave [1]. Do keep in mind the UK is still in NATO, WTO, and the UN. The UK still has plenty of say in many world events and even those in Europe.

The Scotland second leave vote is just a scar tactic. Even though many people claim they will, many British politicians show that they have given their mandate already to show that they want to remain in the UK and leaving won't be close to a reality and if it does occur, this would harm the democratic process [2]. The EU has also stated that if Scotland had left the UK, they wouldn't gain access to the EU immidiately [3]. This would detter a great probability of the second vote as they wouldn't be able to get back in as quick.

As for the 2/3's vote. Maybe that could be, but that isn't what the debate is about. The fact is still that democracy had won out in the end and they made a decission. Do keep in mind that the UK has yet to actually leave the EU. 2/3's is quite hard to achieve in a popular election. There hasn't been many US Presidential elections that has even touched that number.

1. (
2. (
3. (
Posted by lannan13 2 months ago

Damn spell check.