Dello
AlwaysRight12345

Once a photograph is manipulated, it's no longer a photograph.

Dello
Started: 2/25/2015 Category: Arts

Dello

Pro

If an image is photshopped, the image is comprised and no longer a photograph, rather, it is "art".
AlwaysRight12345

Con

To quote the New Oxford American Dictionary:
Photograph: a picture made using a camera, in which an image is focused onto film or other light-sensitive material and then made visible and permanent by chemical treatment, or stored digitally.
If a photograph has been "manipulated," it has still been made using a camera.
Therefore, your sole argument is irrefutably disproven.
Dello

Pro

In 2014, Pulitzer Prize winning photographer, Narciso Contreras was fired from The Associated Press over a published photograph. The photograph depicts a Syrian war rebel holding a gun. Conteras removed a camera shown in the original photograph in the left side of the frame. Why was Conteras fired? Because the image was photoshoped.

Referenced visual:
http://www.slrlounge.com...

This practice has destroyed the careers of thousands of photojournalists. Many news agencies are having increasing problems with images being photoshopped in recent years. Not only is it unethical, it is not a photograph.
As recently as two weeks ago, In Touch Weekly Magazine featured the likeliness of Bruce Jenner as a cover story. In Touch photoshoped makeup and used the image of British actress Stephanie Beacham to substitute the body of a female with the head on Jenner, Is this an image of Jenner, or Beacham? It"s neither.

Referenced visual
http://images.complex.com...

A photograph represents a moment in time, an event as it happened. If an image is alerted , then the minds are altered of those who view the image, giving an unrealistic depiction of events that have occurred. If you take a photo of a sunset, photoshop add color to the sky, add some clouds, that"s how you will remember the sunset years later, that photograph was not taken as is, it is not pure. Pure photography or straight photography refers to photography that attempts to depict a scene as realistically and objectively as permitted by the medium, renouncing the use of manipulation. Many photography contests ban the very use of photoshop in competition.

Photoshop
verb, pho"to"shop often capitalized \G2;f!3;-(G6;)t!3;-G6;sh"pDefinition of PHOTOSHOP
transitive verb
: to alter (a digital image) with Photoshop software or other image-editing software especially in a way that distorts reality (as for deliberately deceptive purposes)
Photoshop is the manipulation of an image

As shows above, the definition from Merriam-Webster"s, the defination clearly states photoshop "distorts reality" and photoshop is the "manipulation of an image". So,where does that leave photoshop? It"s art! Photoshop is an enhancement or creation with the image used as a foundation. Photoshop is as creative as your mind, if you can paint a visual in your head, it can be done in Photoshop. Photoshop is an amazing canvas, but at what point do we not call it a photograph? Would Salvador Dali consider this a photograph or art?

Referenced visual
https://lockeone.files.wordpress.com...

It"s impossible to know without asking him, and that"s a bit of a problem seeing how he is dead and all, but Dali would have been fascinated with the use of a photograph mixed in with one of his painting.. One must also wonder if Frida Kahlo, GEORGES BRAQUE, REN" MAGRITTE and the thousands of other revered artists who"s time was before photoshop, if they would have been graphic designers? For many graphics the image is the blueprint Charcoal, paint, wood, cement, metal and photoshop are amazing mediums.

A photograph represents truth, a photoshoped image in enhanced truth or a false truth. We have all seen nice images of a city at night time that"s over exposed. The nights are bright and trails from car lights drag across the frame, so it can be argued that long exposure (or time lapse) is manipulation, however, if your vision slowed down to the cameras shutter, then this is exactly how you would see it, if the vehicles speed up, this is how your natural eye would see it also.

In closing, ask yourself 3 honest yes or no questions, below are 3 links even, though they were taken with a camera, do you consider these photographs? Yes or no.
http://mycoolpix.com...
http://www.pieway.com...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com...
AlwaysRight12345

Con

My opponent has brought up an interesting question: If a photograph is modified, is it still a photograph. The answer, as I have already proven, is yes. In fact, my opponent made no attempt at all to refute my point, which, incidentally, disproves everything he has said. "A photograph represents a moment in time, an event as it happened." My opponent seems to have forgotten the actual definition of a photograph: a picture made using a camera, in which an image is focused onto film or other light-sensitive material and then made visible and permanent by chemical treatment, or stored digitally [1]. He calls photoshop "art." It doesn't matter if Photoshopping is "art" any more than it matters if it's gotten photojournalists fired. Photography is art too. Art: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power [1]. Yes, this classes Photoshopping as art. But it classes photography as art just as much. Human creative skill and imagination show up in photography ALL THE TIME. Then he went on to rant about whether revered artists "would have been graphic designers." Does this really matter? No. His "closing" consisted of 3 "pictures." I put quotations around pictures because I doubt the last one even is a picture. So, in closing, I ask you, the voters one question: Do the pretty words my opponent use prove the resolution true versus the facts and definitions I have provided? The obvious and inevitable answer is no. I have indisputably won here.

1- New Oxford American Dictionary
Dello

Pro

My opponent failed to miss the point of this entire debate and only references definitions. My opponent stated that " if a photograph has been "manipulated," , it is still being made by a camera" when the topic of this debate is "If an image is photshopped, the image is comprised and no longer a photograph, rather, it is "art". Photoshop being a keyword. 2nd, my opponent stated in round 1 that "If a photograph has been "manipulated," it has still been made using a camera". This is false, cameras do not posses many of the elements that are in photoshop.

I asked my opponent to look at 3 different photoshopped works taken by a camera, and then processed. None of these examples I provided can be manipulated using a camera alone as my opponent seems to think, My opponent doubted whether or not the last image was at one time a photograph and understandably so, do any of them look like a photograph? In good faith, below is a link, the author will even give you a tutorial.
http://slodive.com...

Again, the very definition of photoshop is as followed.
Definition of PHOTOSHOP
transitive verb
My opponent quoted "If a photograph has been "manipulated," it has still been made using a camera" The very definition of photoshop states software or other image-editing software" Thus making photoshop a separate entity from the camera and not a necessity

Thank you opponenent and thank you everyone who engaged. I leave you with this, is this what you call a photograph? http://3.bp.blogspot.com...
AlwaysRight12345

Con

First off, my opponent has dropped all of my points. His response to my definitions that I "only reference definitions." He has failed to notice that my definitions refute all of his points. He thinks that I think that you can use Photoshop on a camera. I don't think that Photoshop is accesible on a camera any more than you can paint a frame on a painting. However, these two situations are very similar. A photo is made with a camera. If it's edited on a computer, so what? It still fits the definition of a photograph. He used 3 examples of pictures edited using Photoshop. However, if you look at the first and third pictures closely enough, you can see that they are actually illustrations. The second one is two different pictures stitched together. However, they were both made with a camera and the combination is therefore made with a camera. Here is another example of this with the app "Pic Stitch":
http://www.sohomarketer.com...
I have won this debate. Voters, here is the reason for your decision in my favor:
1. I refuted my opponent's sole point in the first round.
2. I refuted any and all other points my opponent has made.
3. I have provided more points such as photography being art just as much as Photoshop.
4. My opponent has yet too legitimately respond to any of my points.
5. I have won on sources as he has provided none.
6. I have won on conduct as he made ad hominem attacks.
7. I have won on spelling and grammar as he made many grammar mistakes while I made none. (End of his second round, for example.)
8. I have disproven everything he has said and made points disproving the topic, none of which have he addresesed.
Thus, I negate.
Vote Placed by TheAdamb99 1 year ago
TheAdamb99
DelloAlwaysRight12345Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Very convincing arguments from both sides. Well done to both con and pro!
Vote Placed by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
DelloAlwaysRight12345Tied
Reasons for voting decision: When manipulation hurts or helps photograph is an interesting question. The debate hit some good point. Nice job to both pro & con. Argument to Pro, better reasoned debate. Sources to Pro. They were demonstrative.