Vedney
JasperFrancisShickadance

One cannot be gay and go to heaven.

JasperFrancisShickadance

Vedney

Con

For the purpose of this debate, being gay would be defined as attraction to the same sex and "acting upon it" without repentance for that act and that the act is done under the restrictions of marriage (i.e. between two legally married men)

BOP would be on Pro.
JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

In this debate we both will be assuming that the Christian God is real and that the Bible is God's Word (although Con will probably not assume that the Bible is necessarily true). My opponent says that BoP is on me, (pro), but if we share the same assumptions, why wouldn't burden of proof be on him also upon the statement "a gay Christian automatically goes to heaven"?

First off I don't believe a person who practices homosexuality can be Christian period. Anyone going to heaven is a question too, not only a gay, but I will argue to the best of my ability and try to prove a point one way or another.

You start, Con.
Vedney

Con

Mark 16:16

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;he that believeth not shall be damned."

I am sorry that I do not have more as I am busy with school, but I will be more engaged in the next round.
JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

I will first explain what it means to be Christian. It is a person who "...professes belief in the life and teaching of Jesus Christ..." [1] I would add onto that how a Christian believes in the Trinity and how God created the world, plus that Jesus died on the Cross to take away our sins (the Gospel story). *If you do not think all Christians believe in all those, please say so.*

Once you have truly become Christian and agreed to live according to God's Law, you are guaranteed to go to the place God prepared for us long ago: Heaven. This is what we are debating about. Basically you, my opponent, are arguing that to be a Christian (and go to heaven) you have to believe that Jesus/God is Lord in your heart yet do not have to stop sinning, and I am debating that to be Christian you have to believe Jesus is Lord AND try to stop your sinning. Let the debating begin.

When we look at Rom 1:27, we find that homosexuality is an expression of a world that did not acknowledge God as the Creator to be worshiped. Though the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin, including the sins of the homosexual when we trust in Him for salvation, it is a contradiction to say you love God when God obviously calls it a sin. In other words, you can't love sin (homosexuality) yet also love God because God does not appreciate that type of love and calling yourself Christian would be just another false claim. [2] An example that comes to mind is the story of Cain and Abel. Genesis 4 explains how Abel's offering--fat portions of the first born's in his flock given to Him--were pure and pleasing in God's eyes. An interesting thing is that the Bible reads how the Lord said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door, it desires to have you, but you must rule over it." Not that this ha much to do with anything but God said that exactly before Cain took Abel and killed him. [3] God warns us to get rid of all moral filth not just in Genesis, but in many other places in the Bible such as John, Deuteronomy, Galatians, 1st Timothy, James, Matthew, Proverbs, Exodus, Hebrews, and more. [4]

Upon letting Jesus into your own soul, or letting His spirit take control of your life, it is your goal to live as pure and faultless as you can because you should be loving God so much that you want to appreciate Him with your every breath. It is so clear that God does not appreciate homosexuality and even calls it an abomination and/or detestable sin. So if you practice homosexuality you are not Christian nor moral in God's eyes.

To rebut your one verse from Mark (16:16), I will give you the definition of 'baptized.' Taken from Dictionary.com, baptism is a "...ceremonial immersion in water, or application of water, as an initiatory rite or sacrament of the Christian church."
And/or, "a trying or purifying experience or initiation." Also "purification of thought and character." [5] There you go.

I will end with this verse from Matthew 5:19:
'Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.' [4]

SOURCES

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[2] http://christianity.stackexchange.com...

[3] http://www.biblegateway.com...

[4] http://www.openbible.info...

[5] http://dictionary.reference.com...
Vedney

Con

I am sorry. I will have wasted your time because I am now considering a break from DDO. Vote Pro everybody; I concede. I hope to do this again when real life gets less busy.

Once again, I am sorry to have wasted your time.
JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

I forgive you. Farewell, Vedney! I'm sure we will all greatly miss your presence. Perhaps we can try this again later...oh and if anyone else wants to debate me on this please pm me.
Vedney

Con

Vedney forfeited this round.
JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

Would somebody please debate me on this elsewhere.
Vedney

Con

Vedney forfeited this round.
JasperFrancisShickadance

Pro

Vote Pro.
Posted by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
JasperFrancisShickadance
General_Grievous read my second round.
Posted by General_Grievous 2 years ago
General_Grievous
Didn't Jesus tell the thief he was crucified with that he will walk beside him in heaven when he died? He was a sinner. And the Bible says that all sin is equal in weight in the eyes of The Lord. So why wouldn't a homosexual enter the Kingdom of God?
JasperFrancisShickadance
To add to the 2nd round: You cannot keep the 7th Commandment and be homosexual.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Why would a homo want to go to heaven anyway. God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and steve.That would be awkward at best.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
VedneyJasperFrancisShickadanceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
VedneyJasperFrancisShickadanceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Honorable Concession