One plus one equals two

Following my proposal in

This is a debate meant to push on the boundaries of debates, which is a great creative exercise.

In this debate, i defend that 1+1=2, because after all, we all know and, you know, there's no reason for someone to say the opposite. Even if you don't know much about algebra, one plus one equals two.

Here you have a video of Beyonce's song "1+1"

She clearly states: "I don't know about much algebra, but i know one plus one equals two"

Prove me that one plus one doesn't equal two.

Yes i accept the challenge, i will prove that 1+1 is not equal to 2.

Pro argues that 1+1 is always = 2, the burden lies on him to prove that 1+1 is always = 2.

Because he does not mention that it is in maths.

So i can assume it to be anything.

1) In binary code 1+1 = 0

2)In boolean algebra 1+1=1

3)In biology.

1 human being (male) + 1 human being (female) = 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or7 or 8 so on.....

Now its up to pro to prove me wrong.

Yeah that's true. I meant maths. That's why i said "Even if you don't know much about algebra, one plus one equals two". I apologize if that wasn't clear. It was clear for Beyonce, though.

You see pro agrees with me, because he himself said "yeah thats true".

The name of the topic is quit clear which says " One plus one equals two". there is no mention of maths.
So i proved pro wrong.
Pro gave one example where 1+1 = 2, and i gave three example where 1+1 is not equal to 2
He should have said 1+1=2 only in maths, but as we know he did not mention that.
He just mentioned "Even if you don't know much about algebra, one plus one equals two". This is no where as same as saying 1+1=2 in maths only.

Good luck pro.

Well i have no other option than to answer back and do my best. (Damn, i had to be more precise)

1) In Binary Code: 1+1 does not equal zero, in fact the link you used says it is 1+1=0 carrying the one to the next significant bit, that would make the result 10.

Say we have 00000001+00000001, the result would be 00000010. Which is in fact 2, it is just another notation.

You can convert binary to decimal code, they are compatible.

[1 fails to prove anything.]

2) Boolean algebra 1+1=1

This is an interesting one.

In boolean algebra 1 is true and 0 is false. You are not really adding 1's, it's just a representation of true and false.
Truth is an abstract concept that is not meant to be countable. Or at least we can say that more truths don't affect the final result which is true.

Let's make it simple

Let's say X is truth.

Since the coefficient doesn't really much affect the fact (which is only one) that it is true, it becomes meaningless. Just as multiplying 2 times 0. It still is zero.

It is just saying true + true = true.
2*true= true

So in boolean algebra saying 2*true does not mean something different from 1*true. There is no need for any other coefficient different to 0 and 1, since there are only two states, it is either true or false. But this doesn't go against "One plusn one equals two".

No type of logical argument can go against maths.

[2 proves nothing]

3) In biology:
First, the question is one plus one equals two, not one thing plus another thing, well you get the point. It's an abstract concept.

Even if we could accept this one, this is a fallacious argument because you miss a lot of the information that is relevant to both the male and female.
The fact that you conceptualize them as one entity does not mean that's the only thing there is. In fact it's just a concept. In reality there are many other variables that you are just not paying attention to.

[3 proves nothing, once again]

I'm disappointed at Con. There are some things you can't go against, yet one can still find fallacy, or ambiguous information to try to prove one's arguments, but this ambiguous information is connected after all, to maths. These concepts are not disconnected.

Now to my arguments.

Do point 1, 2 and 3 proposed by Con in any way disprove that one plus one equals two?

I think not. Even if it is convincing, Con fails to disprove my position. In fact, he agrees with me that 1+1=2 at least, in math.

So even if he had 3000 other results to 1+1, it would still hold true that 1+1=2. I did not say "one plus one equals only two"

Yes, Con, I can also use words to my advantage, but at least i rationalise my arguments.

1) Yes, in binary code 1+1 = 10
but not 2

Yes, if you do convert it in to decimal code then it will be 2
but as long i as i keep it in binary code it will remain 10
I don't want to convert to decimal code.

Therefore in binary code 1+1 = 10

2) Yes in boolean algebra 1 represents true and 0 represents false, So what ??

You did not mention that 1 cannot be used to represent true, which is done in boolean algebra
So i am free to assume whatever i want.

Since in boolean 1 is used to represent true

3) In biology
Obivously i just meant that one as a joke.

Yes Pro your topic is "one plus one equals two" , from this it is clear that your saying 1+1=2
I proved you wrong

The name of the topic does not open room for more then one answer for 1+1.
So i proved it wrong.

The name of the topic isn't " one plus one may or may not be equal to two"

Other then that i gave 2 examples where 1+1 is not equal to 2

Where as you gave 1 example where 1+1 = 2
Posted by TruthGen 2 years ago
I agree with you, BradK. But it is a debate and well, in war and love everything is allowed, or so they said. Meh :/
Posted by BradK 2 years ago
This is basically arguing semantics.
Posted by UchihaMadara 2 years ago
wow, that was a really good argument from con!
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
One man plus one woman equals one flesh.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I am quite surprised that Con got the win here--but he clearly did. Debating a general truism like this requires fancy footwork...and in this case, Con used a lack of precision in the resolution to his advantage. Well done! As always, happy to clarify this RFD.