InVinoVeritas
sedgwick1991

One's native language structure affects one's world view (Linguistic Relativity)

InVinoVeritas

Pro

Definitions:
Language:
Complex system of communication used within a group of people. [1] To simplify this debate and avoid the introduction of irrelevant exceptions, we will only be talking about one's native language, or first acquired language.
And to clarify further, structure of language: The rules that govern a language (i.e., its grammar.)
World view/Conceptualization of world: fundamental cognitive orientation of an individual or society encompassing the entirety of the individual or society's knowledge and point of view. [2]

Resolution: The structure of a language affects the ways in which its native speakers are able to conceptualize their world.

(Pro will attempt to affirm the resolution. Con will attempt to negate the resolution.)

The first round of this debate will be strictly reserved for discussion of terms of debate and definitions.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
sedgwick1991

Con

many people do not agree with things and that has nothing to do with language am pretty sure that every one frowns on the holocost the germanic languages (includinging english) the romance languages and even the middle east and the asian languages (sorry i dont no the names for there language familys). my piont is when you no somthing is wrong you no its wrong regardless of langauge. diferent countrys feel diffent ways about things but thats politics not languague
InVinoVeritas

Pro

Uh... It was stated that the "[t]he first round of this debate will be strictly reserved for discussion of terms of debate and definitions."

There are, indeed, people with different native languages who agree about things, such as the negative impact of the Holocaust. People can agree with each other on general social issues without having the same fundamental "world view." By saying that one can either support or not support the instatement of the Holocaust is a false dichotomy; there are many underlying views that can be held, and if we dig further, we can perhaps find the relevance of language usage in these miniscule variations.

The opponent's argument, as it stands, is misguided and not germane to the resolution or the matter at hand. Moreover, the opponent's argument is typed egregiously.

If the opponent would like to learn more about this topic, he should look up "linguistic relativity" on Google or whatever search engine he prefers.

I think I will re-start this debate in hopes of finding an opponent who is more suitable to discuss this topic.

sedgwick1991

Con

sedgwick1991 forfeited this round.
InVinoVeritas

Pro

Well, this was expected.
sedgwick1991

Con

sedgwick1991 forfeited this round.
sedgwick1991

Con

sedgwick1991 forfeited this round.
Posted by Anayansi 5 years ago
Anayansi
I agree with the instigator. When you re-open this debate, it should be interesting. I wonder why people accept debates just to ruin them in the first round.

If a person does not have a word for pink, then they would call it light red. I believe that in English there is no word for light blue, however it is called "celeste" in Spanish. The issue is that as concepts get more complicated, words act as a mental shortcut to get the right concept. For example to conceptualize a "dog" without that word, it would take a longer mental path: "four legged animal that barks", now if you do not have the word "bark", you could be talking about a cat or a cow.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 5 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Keytar, the only way to describe pink is through word that are made strictly to represent it (for example, "pink," in English.) However, if someone were to not have a word for pink in his/her native language, would that affect his/her world view? This is the sort of issue that this debate is seeking to resolve.
Posted by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
Always, that may be because you know what to call it. For example, if I show you a color you can tell me it's pink. But how would you describe pink if I asked you about it?
Posted by AlwaysMoreThanYou 5 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
I once read an article saying that you could remember a colour more precisely if your language had a word for it.
Interesting topic.
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
This seems like a really interesting topic. I would take this but unfortunately I have no concept of linguistics
:(