PandaPaws100
Piccini

Online Piracy

Piccini
Started: 7/18/2013 Category: Technology

PandaPaws100

Con

Online piracy is wrong in every way. If people think its not okay to steal a movie from a shop, then they should not think its right to pirate a movie. Sometimes, if its a really old game with an unpopular company, people think its okay to pirate, or even worse,to upload a torrent. Just because its harder to track people down, it doesn't mean its not a crime. People who are with piracy and put up new proxy's for it, should be blamed and punished for such a crime. People who pirate little cheap indie games from poor companies or people trying to make money from it are both stealing and wasting their time and money. In fact, I think people should go to every length they have and just go for it to stop piracy. People hate to see games or movies being shut down, or good companies going bankrupt, and most importantly, us as humans like to at least have a little money in our pockets to even live on.
I am against piracy and will go to all odds to stop it.
Piccini

Pro

Hello, I will defend that Online Piracy is not "wrong in every way". First of all, I would like to make a distinction: I will argue in favor of collaborative sharing of information, not in favor of selling what you did not create. So I will not defend those who make money out of piracy, instead I will defend those who download or upload files with the sole purpose of sharing.

In this first round, I will rebut the argument that "piracy is stealing". Nina Paley's didactic video "Copying is not Theft"[1] is a great way to explain it in a simple way, but I would like to provide a few more sound arguments.

It is important to point out that downloading a song does not take away any money from the artist, as would stealing. At most, it prevents the artist to make a profit, as the person does not buys the album, but that is not necessarily true. Downloading a song does not mean you would pay for it if you could not download it, most times you would just ignore the song altogether, so downloading is actually benefiting the artist, as it is making him more known, and probably causing more people to look forward to a live performance.

In fact, most artists profit from piracy. 75% of the artists benefit from file sharing[2]. That's because non-popular artists, who are not played in mainstream radios, would otherwise be completely unknown if it wasn't for file sharing. People have the opportunity to experiment new music for free, and then, if they like it, reward the artist. That is beneficial for the artists and for the music as a whole, as it democratizes the industry and allow for more music variety.

References:
[1] Copying is not Theft - Nina Paley
[2] http://torrentfreak.com...
PandaPaws100

Con

PandaPaws100 forfeited this round.
Piccini

Pro

Well, it is a shame that my opponent has forfeited the second round, I was really looking forward to a nice debate. Anyway, I will continue to present arguments in favor of piracy.

In this round I will argue that copyright laws are outdated, and do not contribute to society. First of all, I would like to cite Scherer:

"The evolution of copyright from an occasional grant of royal privilege to a formal and eventually widespread system of law should in principle have enhanced composers' income from publication. The evidence from our quantitative comparison of honoraria received by Beethoven, with no copyright law in his territory, and Robert Schumann, benefiting from nearly universal European copyright, provides at best questionable support for the hypothesis that copyright fundamentally changed composers' fortunes. From the qualitative evidence on Giuseppe Verdi, who was the first important composer to experience the new Italian copyright regime and devise strategies to derive maximum advantage, it is clear that copyright could make a substantial difference. In the case of Verdi, greater remuneration through full exploitation of the copyright system led perceptibly to a lessening of composing effort."[1]

That is, copyright does not protect neither incentives creativity, on the contrary, it incentives sloth and accommodation, by excluding other, perhaps better, artists, to build on what has been made. Also, as I have already said, copying does not deprive the victim of the original item, as intellectual property is not scarce[2].

Another point is that copyright laws around the world are almost the same as they were before the advent of the internet, and are not ready to cope with the transformations that the knowledge era has brought upon us. Today we live in a world where knowledge sharing and the right to education are universal values. Every country legal system must be reformed to reflect that, by changing or abolishing copyright laws.

My opponent has yet to provide some proof or argument that piracy is "wrong in every way", as so far he has not proven that it is wrong in any way.

References
[1] Scherer, F.M. (2004), Quarter Notes and Bank Notes. The Economics of Music Composition in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Princeton University Press
[2] http://mises.org...
PandaPaws100

Con

PandaPaws100 forfeited this round.
Piccini

Pro

As my opponent has forfeited another round, there isn't much to say. In conclusion, I believe Con has failed to provide any argument on why would Online Piracy be wrong. I have shown that Piracy is not harmful, and as a mean of disseminating knowledge it is actually socially desirable. Copyright laws must be reformed all over the world, as soon as possible, in order to better account for the Internet Era reality. Finally, I believe sharing files should be encouraged, not fought against.
Vote Placed by drhead 4 years ago
drhead
PandaPaws100PicciniTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeited.