debate250
marcuscato

Online debating is as good as traditional debating (two people standing and debating)

marcuscato

debate250

Pro

Online debating is as good as traditional debating. One example of how this is the case is this site. I've had excellent debates on this site, and I've also seen fantastic debates on this site. This proves how online debating can be as good as traditional debating. Some advantages to online debating are there's more time for both Pro and Con to write their arguments. They're also not speaking the debate, so it also allows for more to be said. Finally, online debating allows for more freedom in choosing the topic, position, and when it comes time for voting, it allows for a greater variety of opinions for that. However, it's not better because in real life debating it's nice to be able to see the opponent. There are also probably more experienced judges. Also, there is no possibility of forfeit. Overall, there are some advantages and some disadvantages to both styles, and therefore, online debating is as good as debating in real life.
marcuscato

Con

Online: connected to, served by, or available through a system and especially a computer or telecommunications system (as the Internet)

Traditional debating: Two participants who are physically present at the debating venue. Each side makes verbal arguments for/against the topic.
- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My opponent has written about the benefits and the drawbacks of online debating. He is arguing that online debating is as good as traditional debating.

I will argue that online debating is superior to traditional debating.

I accept all points in favour of online debating expressed by my opponent. Some other advantages:

1.Online debating allows people separated by vast distances to participate.This allows for a greater variety of opinion.

2.Since the points made by each side is easily accessible(incase of text based debating/recorded video and audio debates), the participants and judges can easily refer to the points made. There is less scope for ambiguity.
A debater is not burdened by having to remember all the points to be made. This gains significance in long debates which must address a variety of points.
- - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rebuttal:
1. Visual perception of opponent:
My opponent has only considered the text form of online debating. It is possible to conduct a debate in which both participants can view each other using tele-conferencing technology.
2.Experienced Judges:
My opponent has made an unjustified claim that the judges in real life are more qualified a judge who gives his opinion online.A judge can always give his opinion online, it is wrong to claim that the value of his opinion wuld decrease simply because it is given online.
3.No possibility of forfeit
This is an incorrect assumption. There is nothing to prevent an opponent from walking away/forfeiting in the traditional form of debating.
Furthermore, sometimes an person forfeits because he is convinced by the opponents argument. It is more difficult to do so in a real life debate.

debate250

Pro

debate250 forfeited this round.
marcuscato

Con

4 rounds should be sufficient.
goodluck.
debate250

Pro

debate250 forfeited this round.
marcuscato

Con

Still waiting....
debate250

Pro

Hi, I've realized that I'm busy at the moment, so I'll have to forfeit all of the remaining rounds of my debate. This is a very interesting debate, and I'd like to do it again when I have more time. I'm very sorry about this. I would encourage the voters not to vote since you wouldn't be voting on my debating ability but instead just on the fact that I forfeited.
marcuscato

Con

Well this was disappointing.
Since my opponent has failed to rebut my points...
Vote for me!
debate250

Pro

debate250 forfeited this round.
marcuscato

Con

I thank my opponent for an interesting first round.
Posted by debate250 5 years ago
debate250
I'm sorry for forfeiting this round of debate too. Just don't respond if you'd like because I think I've realized that I'm too busy at the moment for any more debate rounds. I'd love to have this debate when I do have more time. I'm sorry about this, but I look forward to doing this very interesting topic when I do have more time.
Posted by debate250 5 years ago
debate250
I'm sorry for forfeiting this debate round. You could either reply nothing or just come up with some more rebuttals to my first argument. I wasn't keeping track, so I didn't know the time was running out. However, I look forward to a great debate for the rest of this debate!
Vote Placed by kkjnay 5 years ago
kkjnay
debate250marcuscatoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited.