N2568
TheRomanticist

Only smart people can make a smart decision

TheRomanticist

N2568

Con

Smart people don't usually make any mistakes in their life
TheRomanticist

Pro

Argument 1: Many smart people delay action

Intelligent people are often second-guessing. Being open to knew truths means never knowing a whole-truth, and when the world is not set in stone, as many people see it, they have a hard time making decisions. The choice to delay a decision is a particularly bad one.
N2568

Con

Thanks for your argument,
I got your point, and it makes a good sence
Do you think that all educated people are smart?
TheRomanticist

Pro

There are different types of smart, and if we're using the literal meaning of educated, then yes. However, smart people can make bad decisions by accepting what they believe to be common sense in a field that is not their expertise.

Let's say that Martha Stuart was "educated" on what was happening at Enron; however, she was not aware of the laws regarding insider information. Her decision was an ultimately bad one because it landed her in prison.
N2568

Con

that is what I expected to hear from you, I agree with your statement but from my point of view the literal meaning of smart which also means educated is wrong, because I know a lot of educated people who always do dumb things
So, would you agree with me if I say that only 15% of educated people are smart and only these 15% can always make the right decisions in all cases
TheRomanticist

Pro

Even smart people have regrets, so they don't always make the right decisions. Name one person who truly has no regrets. They may claim no regrets, but it would be because the good outweighed the bad, not because there was no bad. Einstein supplied the world with the most dangerous weapon of all time, and and Hoffman created a drug when he hated drug culture. Was Einstein not smart? Was Hoffman not smart?
N2568

Con

I think that Einstain is the one without any regrets, he invented the most terrible weapon in the world and because of that weapon nowadays the number of wars beyong countries is falling down, because most developed countries nowadays have atomic bomb and they won't fight each other because they have fear...
If nowadays any developed country like USA and Russia attack each other it will bring up into the end of the world
Thats why I think that atomic bomb is not as bad as people think of it
TheRomanticist

Pro

To consider the advent of the atomic bomb to be a positive would be an insult to Einstein's memory. The reason he shared his invention was because he believed if he didn't share, the Germans would find out first. The Germans failed, filling Einstein with regret at having brought into existence something that may have laid dormant for a much longer time. His decision was bad in that no one can predict every outcome. And he wasn't just smart, he was a genious, so if Einstein could make a mistake, what's to say a smart person couldn't?
N2568

Con

Still I think that his invention is for our own benefit and I don't blame him, because if he wouldn't invent this weapon the world wars would never came into the end, as we know it from history right after WWII, Cold War was going to start but the main thing that stoped it was Einstains weapon, people started to understand that all countries have the same power and if they continue it may may destroy the whole world
That is why I think that only a few people out of millions can be genious, and what i mean by the word genious is that these people never make any mistakes, even if they make a mistake. their mistake is for their own and also for other people's benefit
TheRomanticist

Pro

Your claim that only smart people make smart decisions and smart people always make good decisions is baseless, and relies on the circular logic that smart people don't make mistakes, and people who make mistakes aren't smart.

I am still not satisfied that Hoffman did not make a mistake when sharing LSD with the world.

Nasa has made small mistakes that caused big problems. Being smart does not make you imune to mishearing an order or in this case, measuring with he wrong system.

http://www.businessinsider.com...

Let's not forget that the theory of relativity was just proven inaccurate. I would add more but I really should not seeing as this is the end of the debate, and you have no chance to respond. Good luck in the poll.
Posted by TheRomanticist 5 years ago
TheRomanticist
For all those saying I argued the wrong side, look further down in the comments, I asked what he meant. I should have clarified this, and I apologize.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
Smart people are capable of rationalizing absurdities that an ordinary person would abandon. Nutcase ideologies are products of smart people. Read Shermer's book, "Why Smart People Believe Weird Things."
Posted by TheRomanticist 5 years ago
TheRomanticist
Hmm.I probably should have let someone else have this one.
Posted by N2568 5 years ago
N2568
thanks for your comment\
Posted by N2568 5 years ago
N2568
I don't say the opposite
Posted by N2568 5 years ago
N2568
my bad... this is my first post in ddo so i was confused, i don't mean it that way I mean I think that smart people never make mistakes
Posted by TheRomanticist 5 years ago
TheRomanticist
So as con, I'm assuming you do think smart people make mistakes. Being con doesn't make it opposite day, you still have to say what you mean. Only in the resolution do you state the opposite (If you're con)
Posted by N2568 5 years ago
N2568
thank you for your comment... by smart person I mean a person who is educated
you are welcome to attend in my debate please live give your argument in the debate if you are not agree or you take my side,
Posted by AlwaysMoreThanYou 5 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
How do you define a "smart" person?
Vote Placed by wiploc 5 years ago
wiploc
N2568TheRomanticistTied
Reasons for voting decision: The title resolution was never supported. The other resolution (smart people never make mistakes) was thoroughly refuted.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
N2568TheRomanticistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was very unconvincing and dragged the debate way off topic. no sources were used and con actually misspelled "Einstein" so Pro got a lot of points
Vote Placed by Crypto247 5 years ago
Crypto247
N2568TheRomanticistTied
Reasons for voting decision: The con I guess really didn't give too good points on what he thought was right and the pro gave many points and an overall better debate.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
N2568TheRomanticistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave the winning argument in R2. Smart people, well educated or not, make the mistake of being sure of things on which they have no expertise.
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
N2568TheRomanticistTied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO argued the wrong position.
Vote Placed by Lickdafoot 5 years ago
Lickdafoot
N2568TheRomanticistTied
Reasons for voting decision: this was prett bad. I hope pro realizes that he was debating on the wrong side of the debate. this is why the instigator should make it clear which side of the resolution they are debating for.