ForGrowthOfMind
MapleSyrup

Open Relationships Are Wrong

ForGrowthOfMind

Con

First here is a description of what I mean by Open Relationship: A relationship where two partners allow the other to interact in emotional and/or sexual bonding with others, but they consider the other partner their main lover. I would like to point out I am not arguing for polygamy as that would imply multiple "main" lovers.

I have often questioned whether or not an open relationship would be morally wrong, or unable to function in society. After a lot of thought I come to believe there is nothing wrong with an open relationship, and in fact the they can even be beneficial to a couples relationship.
MapleSyrup

Pro

I accept the challenge, let the best argument win.

Its in human nature to become jealous of things. This can be something small like how kids feel jealous if their siblings get ice-cream and they don't. The reason is that they may feel neglected or as though they are not being given enough attention, even if those feelings are imaginary and they are not being neglected at all. What happens when jealousy occurs in an open relationship? Perhaps they distance themselves or attempt to take action out of wrath. In a "perfect world" jealousy wouldn't occur, but this isn't a perfect world and therefore it occurs everywhere especially when people are emotionally involved. What I am saying is; What if one partner isn't getting what they expected and they see the other is having a great time? Will they break up or perhaps even take violent action? That may seem extreme, but is much less so when you think about how many stories you hear of seemingly good relationships that end in blood or bruises.
ForGrowthOfMind

Con

ForGrowthOfMind forfeited this round.
MapleSyrup

Pro

MapleSyrup forfeited this round.
ForGrowthOfMind

Con

ForGrowthOfMind forfeited this round.
MapleSyrup

Pro

MapleSyrup forfeited this round.
Posted by ForGrowthOfMind 11 months ago
ForGrowthOfMind
Well yes that's true it is very subjective. It would be up to the debate to decide the boundaries of it. I haven't figured out a better word for it yet. There is immoral, but that is also subjective. Maybe misplaced within society would be a better term but then I would ask what does that even mean. Indeed it is a dilemma.
Posted by vi_spex 11 months ago
vi_spex
right and wrong
Posted by ForGrowthOfMind 11 months ago
ForGrowthOfMind
What part do you refer to?
Posted by vi_spex 11 months ago
vi_spex
you already said its subjective