aircraftmechgirl
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Operation Wrath of God Was a Justified Operation by Israeli Mossad Agents

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

aircraftmechgirl

Pro

This debate will be on the justification of Operation Wrath of God, the name given the actions taken by Mossad agents after the 1972 Black September attack at the Munich Olympics.

I will argue the Pro position, and show that in light of the events of Munich, the retributive actions of Israel's government in sending agents after the perpetrators was absolutely called for in terms of terrorism prevention, national morale, and the interests of justice.

The first round will be for acceptance, 2nd round is opening arguments, 3rd is rebuttal and cross examination, and the final round will be reserved for final arguments with no new points being made.

I look forward to the debate!
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Con

Thank you for posting the debate. I accept the challenge and I am going to take a position saying that the actions taken by the Mossad agents were unacceptable.
aircraftmechgirl

Pro

Thank you to Con for his acceptance. My apologies for my slow reply--Summer classes are far more demanding than I expected. I shall endeavor to be more timely in future rounds, and I thank Con for his patience.

After the 1972 Munich massacre, Israeli agents, at the behest of Prime Minister Golda Meir, waged a campaign to break the terror network in Europe by systematically assassinating everyone who was directly or indirectly involved in the Munich attack. There were 35 total targets, and the list for one of the assassin teams had 11 targets on it. (Also included in the overall Wrath of God operation was the Spring of Youth action, which involved commandos going to Beirut and hunting down three of the PLO's top leaders in their homes. Their mission was also successful, accomplished in 30 minutes from insertion to extraction.

Israel's action, even counting the one case of mistaken identity and the one extra killing of a female assassin who killed one of the Mossad agents, was a rousing success. The terrorist network in Europe was broken, and all targets were eliminated except one.

The point of Israel's actions were not only to serve justice to those responsible for the deaths of innocent Israelis, but to strike fear and terror into the hearts of the terrorists by hitting them in their safehouses, their residences, and inside their own network. It was Israel's intent to send a message--that terrorists were not safe anywhere, and they would pay for their actions. It was justice, revenge, and future deterrent all in one.

Israel's actions were justified for three reasons:

1) The lives of the Olympic athletes were worth justice. ""Because it cannot be that people can terrorize other people and kill them. And there is no price to be paid." [1]
2) In killing those responsible, Israel thwarted future attacks and saved more innocent lives.
3) "Israel, surrounded by hostile borders, must take extraordinary precautions to protect itself...What may be an unacceptable response in a certain situation can, and does, become not only acceptable but morally right, under other circumstances." [2]

Israel's actions were "the most daring assassination campaign of our time," and since then, "Israeli tactics have become an object lesson in Washington." [1]

In short, Israel had no choice. To allow terrorists to brazenly storm into the Olympics and murder innocents without answering for their actions would have resulted in Israel signing her own death warrant.

http://www.cbsnews.com...;
http://www.fas.org...;
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Con

I understand if Pro is busy, slow replies are not a problem at all. No need to apologize. My argument saying that Operation Wrath of God is not justified comes down to these points:

1) It was "an eye for an eye" [1]
Israeli general Aharon Yariv described it as "an eye for an eye." This old biblical saying might be acceptable for ancient civilizations but is a barbaric method in modern civilization. Also, the Israelis were focused on revenge, not justice.

2) They did not catch the people who were really responsible
According to Time magazine "The Israelis had to settle for smaller targets, killing activists who for the most part had nothing to do with the Munich massacre and leaving alive, to this day, some who were involved"[2]. They made many mistakes as to who were responsible and who were not. The process through which Mossad decided who was responsible and who was not was very arbitrary [2] and I don't believe it would ever stand up in an American court system. Essentially, the head of the Mossad, Israel's spy agency, could make the case for a candidate's assassination. The PM and select Cabinet members would say yea or nay. If yea, the hit would be executed by a unit called Caesarea, dubbed by some media the Wrath of God team. [2]

3) The death of the athletes was partly Israel's fault for failing to negotiate
A country that is willing to negotiate for the release of hostages is far more likely to get those hostages returned. Hard line stances by governments have led to the deaths of hostages many times. Hostage negotiation is a complex art requiring skilled personnel and plenty of preparation in order to get the hostages released [3]. It was easy for the Israeli government to stick their noses up and say that they won't consider negotiating and taking what they felt was the high moral ground. If you were a hostage, wouldn't you want your government to negotiate for your release?

According to HowStuffWorks "Although refusing to negotiate with terrorists is often a politically popular idea (no one wants to "give in" to terrorists), it can be disastrous. Even if the government has no intention of granting the demands, the process of negotiating itself is vital to achieving a peaceful resolution. Two of the most horrific hostage incidents in history ended in tragedy in large part due to Russia's outright refusal to negotiate with Muslim Chechen separatists"[3].

4) They killed civilians
The Mossad team during Operation Spring of Youth killed two Lebanese civilians: a farmer and his wife. [4] I don't believe that anything can justify killing innocent civilians. They also abducted a Lebanese civilian from the village of Ramia. [4] They also murdered an innocent waiter in Norway.

5) It undermined the sovereignty of several nations
Lebanon and Norway for a start. They also killed people in Cyprus and France. These countries governments should have supreme authority over all that takes place within their country. Imagine if Mossad came to the United States, and killed innocent Americans claiming that they were responsible for Black September. It would be completely unacceptable.

Israel failed to negotiate for the release of the hostages. They just let them die. And then they went on a killing spree violating the sovereignty of not one but several nations and killing innocent civilians to exact their revenge. I don't believe that Operation Wrath of God was justified in any manner.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.time.com...;
[3] http://people.howstuffworks.com...
[4] http://www.palestine-encyclopedia.com...
aircraftmechgirl

Pro

aircraftmechgirl forfeited this round.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Con

I hope that all is well with my opponent and that she can return to the debate for the last round.
aircraftmechgirl

Pro

aircraftmechgirl forfeited this round.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Con

Since my opponent's arguments haven't been refuted yet, I will do so here. Since this is the last round, I will make sure to not introduce any new points.

1) The lives of the Olympic athletes were worth justice.

If the lives of the Olympic Athletes were worth anything to the Israeli government, they should have negotiated with the terrorists for their release. Instead they played hardball and let the athletes die. I believe that they cared more about their political reputation than the athletes lives.

No sources given by my opponent. Just a statement. I on the other hand am giving a source which shows that there were plenty of attacks on Israel since Wrath of God. [1]

3) "Israel, surrounded by hostile borders, must take extraordinary precautions to protect itself

While it is true that Israel is surrounded by hostile borders, the Munich massacre did not even occer within those borders. It occurred in Germany. So I fail to see the connection between the two and "hostile borders" as a justification for killing innocent people and violated other nation's sovereignity during Wrath of God.

My opponents arguments have been refuted while mine stand unchallenged. Vote Con.

[1]http://www.adl.org...

Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Okay, I have a few ideas, let me know if you are interested in any or if have a different topic in mind.
1) Police profiling should be made illegal. (I will take Pro)
2) The CIA was not justified in violating Pakistan's sovereignty while killing Bin Laden, in short the US betrayed Pakistan (I will take Pro)
3) Israel was not justified in capturing their former Nuclear scientist Mordechai Vanunu in Britain and bringing him back to Israel for revealing their nuclear weapons program to the world. (I will take Pro)
Posted by aircraftmechgirl 5 years ago
aircraftmechgirl
I'm down for whatever. =)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
I am not sure if it will be fair to do the exact same debate again because I already laid my cards on the table. So you'll know what I'm going to say before I say it. But I'd love to go against you on another similar topic if you are interested maybe with Mossad and counter-terrorism, their effectiveness on other operations, other intelligence agencies or something like that. What do you think?
Posted by aircraftmechgirl 5 years ago
aircraftmechgirl
My sincere apologies....I bought a house and moved in this last week...had NO internet for a while. If Con agrees, perhaps we can either re-do the debate or just vote on it as it stands.

Again, I'm really sorry!
Posted by airmax1227 5 years ago
airmax1227
Another interesting resolution by Pro... I look forward to reading this debate at its conclusion.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
aircraftmechgirlF-16_Fighting_FalconTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Reasons for voting decision: Two forfeited rounds = full forfeit.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
Reasons for voting decision: I think Pro could have won, but Con's thorough rebuttal was unanswered. Too bad, I would have liked to have read a completed debate. Pro loses conduct for forfeit.
Vote Placed by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
Vote Placed by Cerebral_Narcissist 5 years ago
Cerebral_Narcissist
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is an excellent debator and refreshingly right wing for her forfeits are dissapointing, but it happens. By default all votes to Con.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.