Opinions can be wrong

Grandzam has forfeited round #4.

Round one is for acceptance only, and all new arguments in the last round will be ignored by voters.

This debate is 6,000 characters maximum per argument. Good luck!

I accept. Good luck.

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

--------------Definition of Opinion-------------

An opinion is a comparison or a measurement based on one or more Qualia. This is not a definition you will find in the dictionary, but I will present reasons as to why it is the most useful definition for our philosophical debate.

Qualia are individual instances of subjective, conscious, experience [1]. This definition is difficult to figure out, so here is a description of what that means:

"The 'what it's like' character of mental states. The way it feels to have mental states such as pain, seeing red, smelling a rose, etc." [2]

Qualia is by definition, subjective. Our senses are all pretty much the same, but we all experience things in different ways. For example, whenever I hear a particular sound effect that I have heard in the past, when I hear it again the way it feels is tinted by the past experience.

----------------The nature of disagreements-----------

There are only two ways, in my thinking, that humans can disagree with anything.

The first is through different sets of information. To take the game of mafia [3] for example, each person knows what their role card is and argues that they are not mafia. A cop with a guilty result will try to convince people that the accused is mafia, and since other people don't know for certain whether the cop is lying or not, a disagreement occurs. A disagreement about this is not about opinion.

To illustrate my point, let's say a student needs to measure the distance between two planets based on some given information and a formula for practice, but she makes a mistake and finds the faulty answer of 6.7 light years. The student says, "I think the distance between these two planets are 6.7 light years."

This is not an opinion at all. If the student would have gotten the formula right, this would be a true fact. It does not become a entirely different statement just because the student got the formula wrong. Therefore, this is a false fact, and not an opinion. This is indeed the subject's judgement, but the statement is an entirely about facts which makes it not an opinion.

The second kind of disagreement is not rooted in fact, but in Qualia. These are about premises that are entirely unrelated to fact. For example, take the Quale of how cookies taste, and compare it to the Quale of how brownies taste. I would say that brownies are better than the chocolate cookies from Walmart. Someone may disagree with me and say that the cookies are totally better than brownies, and that would be totally fine. This can be considered opinions, as opinions are the opposite of facts and these are very clearly not facts.

These are totally different, and it makes sense to make a difference between them. Reject any definitions that allow for opinions to be of the first type of disagreement, because there would be no subjectivity without Qualia. Subjectivity is existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought[4]. Opinion is just about differing ideas about an object, but there is no differing ideas in a purely factual realm where all the facts are known.

Opinions cannot be objectively wrong. What I experience is different than what you experience given the same stimulus. Thus the resolution is negated.

The stuff about the two types of disagreement is entirely original thought, and I challenge my opponent to find holes in my way of thinking so I can improve it.

The definition of opinion is ": a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing" [1]. An opinion can be formed based upon a circumstance or situation. I will provide an example.

A guitarist loves to play his guitars and he cares for them. One day he goes to get his favourite guitar and he can't find it. He feels frustrated that he can't find it and asks his family if they've seen it. They say no and he feels angry and thinks they are lying to him. He then sees his sons friend leaving their house with a large black bag. Outraged, he immediately expects that the friend has stolen his guitar. For now he waits too angry to play his other guitars, his day is ruined. He decided that he won't let his son hang out with that boy. The next day he goes to his car for work and discovers that he had forgotten that he had left his favourite guitar in the car. He feels guilty for blaming everyone and when his sons friend comes over he realizes that yesterday, the friend had left with a hockey bag that held equipment.

The opinions that the man formed about his family and his son's friend were clearly wrong. This proves that opinions can be wrong.

My opponent then goes on to say that qualia makes all opinions subjective. The definition of qualia is "The internal and subjective component of sense perception, arising from simulation of the senses by phenomena." [2] Notice that it says "component". That means that there are other components too. My opponent seems to neglect the fact that there are other opinions other than qualia.

My opponent also goes on to state what he/she thinks should be the definition of opinion without backing it up with a source. Plus he/she neglects the fact that there are other definitions of opinion. Therefore my opponents whole point is based off of an opinion about what a definition should be and is therefore faulty.

Then my opponent goes on to say that there can be only two ways of disagreeing in his/her thinking. Using the word "thinking" practically just stated that this is his/her opinion, therefore not true. So then again, my opponents whole point is based off of an opinion and therefore faulty.

Then my opponent goes on to explain why his/her examples are false facts. But he/she makes the same mistake of saying "I think the distance between these two planets are 6.7 light years." This is an example of an opinion. Like the definition of opinion at the top of my argument, opinions are what someone thinks about a particular thing. Therefore the student in the example thought that her answer was 6.7 light years and got it wrong. Therefore that is a wrong opinion.

Here are some examples of opinions.
1. "I think brownies are better than cookies."
2. "I believe that there is a god."
3. "I think that he is guilty of murder."
Only one of those were qualia. The others are based off of unproven facts and information. Therefore when my opponent says "Reject any definitions that allow for opinions to be of the first type of disagreement" this is saying neglect the other two forms of opinion. I too could say reject any definitions of qualia from my opponent but then I'd be ignoring one form of opinion.

"Opinion is just about differing ideas about an object, but there is no differing ideas in a purely factual realm where all the facts are known." That is true. And my opponent would actually be right except for the fact that we don't live in a realm where all the facts are known. Therefore opinions have to be formed and then proven either right or wrong for there to be facts.

Then my opponent goes on to say that opinions cannot be objectively wrong. Here is an example of an opinion.
"I think Iceland will win the FIFA World Cup."
Say for example that Iceland didn't win. Then your opinion which is probably based off of stats is wrong. Saying that Iceland will win is not a fact since it has not been proven true yet. Here I proved that opinions can be objectively wrong.

Then my opponent states that his whole second point was based off of his/her thoughts which is an opinion. Therefore it is not reliable information and the point is faulty.

[2] The dictionary on your phone

Forgive me, but I concede the debate for several reasons I will not go into right now.

Vote pro.

My opponent has conceded so there is nothing to refute.
Posted by Megatronimus_prime 3 months ago
A opinion is a personal belief. If your opinion is based on facts then it might be right, but if a opinion is based of myths and non facts then it could be wrong. People had a opinion at one time that the world was flat. But I ask you was there opinion right or wrong
Posted by canis 3 months ago
Yes. If it is nothing else...