MASTERY
9spaceking

Opponent picks topic.

MASTERY

Pro

Welcome to the debate.

This is a special debate, with special formats as follows.

PLEASE READ THE FORMAT AND RULES.

FORMAT

1st round-Pro Introduce the parameters
Self-explanatory
1st round-Con Provide the possible arguments
Provide ten possible arguments for me to choose from. Do NOT try to define, explain the topics, as I can interpret the arguments any way I wish, provide any arguments or provide your side on the topics you provide. Anything here should only be greetings or topics. I decide which side I wish to be, IGNORE the fact that debate.org says that I'm pro. The debate topics have to be somewhat different, to prevent ten rewording of a single topic. I can change the topic you provide slightly as well for the debate to be a fun experience. At the start of round 2 I will underline and bold the confirmed topic.
2nd round-Pro Argument & selection of topic.
I will provide a confirmed topic here, define the topic and supply my arguments as necessary. My side (pro/con) will also be clearly stated here. Please cite all research and arguments. Please provide evidence for all arguments.
2nd round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
Provide your arguments and rebuttal in this round. Again, please cite research provide evidence for arguments.
3rd round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
3rd round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
4th round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
4th round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
Provide your arguments and rebuttal in this round. Again, please cite research provide evidence for arguments. Pro Conclusion & Rebuttal.
5th round-Con Conclusion & Rebuttal.
Rebut arguments and provide a conclusion in this round. No new arguments.
5th round-Con Conclusion & Rebuttal.

No abusive language please. The topics that con picks should not be abusive. The topic has to be debatable worldwide. "My opponent picks the topic." is only a placeholder for real topic, so you may NOT post "I am not posting any topics, therefore I win" or something along those lines. Also, please post topics that are easy to debate on both sides. Topic should not be about religion celebrities etc.

Failure to follow the rules and format stated above or below results in a full 7-point forfeit to the opposing team. Violations of the rules below have their point forfeiture value located next to them. Argument forfeitures also result in full 7-point forfeitures.

Rule breakage will result into a full 7 point loss unless forgiven by the opponent (special conditions such as debate topic chosen by opponent can be included if opponent broke rules). Also, justified rule breakage (including forfeiture due to previous opponent forfeiture/rule breakage.) does not count as rule breakage. For example, if user1 breaks a rule first, then user1 will forfeit all points even if user2 breaks any rules after user1 does.

To sum up.

Plagiarism not allowed
Forfeiture not allowed
Swearing not allowed
Spamming not allowed
Trolling not allowed
Format breakage not allowed.
Personal attacks not allowed.
Font bigger than 24 not allowed
Random case not allowed.
Strikethrough not allowed unless necessary.
Ridiculous or hard-to-read font not allowed.
Random words/letters not allowed.
Debate/rule complaint not allowed. (Discuss in comments BEFORE accepting).
Unreasonable topics not allowed.
Irrelevant information not allowed.
Providing incorrect information not allowed.
Arguing of definitions by me not allowed.
Arguing of side chosen by me not allowed.
Arguing of topic altercation by me not allowed.
Violation of any of the above rules results in a 7-point loss.

To prevent multiple forfeits within a non-tight time limit or rule breakage, I have restricted this debate to people who have a Elo above me (currently 2567).

I hope we have a good debate.

Time limit for each argument: 3 days.
Character limit: 7000

9spaceking

Con

1. School uniforms should be required
2. The Godfather is Not the best movie of all time
3. Wikipedia is Not a Credible source
4. The Lego Movie is a better movie than Aladdin
5. Smoking should Not be Banned
6. Mongols are Not the most powerful Type of People in History
7. Presidents should be allowed to run more than two terms
8. Dancing by itself is a Sport (Not competitive dancing, JUST dancing)
9. Facebook should keep its age-restriction rule
10. "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" is Not the best show ever
MASTERY

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I choose "Smoking should Not be Banned" as the topic. I alter it to "Smoking in public places including shops, clubs etc. should be banned". I am pro.

DEFINITION

Public places: A public space is a space that is generally open and accessible to people including places where people can enter if they pay.
Smoking: the inhalation of the smoke of burning tobacco encased in cigarettes (including e-cigarettes)
Banned: prohibited.

ARGUMENT

Smoking causes many cancer and disease, a main one is cardiovascular disease, which is the disease of the heart or blood vessels. That can cause hypertension, kidney failure etc. Smoking accelerates the hardening of arteries and blood clots are 2-4 times more likely to develop in smokers than non-smokers. Smoking also causes cancer, so much that 90% of lung cancer is due to smoking. If you smoke, the risk of contracting mouth cancer is four times higher than for a non-smoker. There are also many other health risks caused by smoking. [1]

[1] http://www.netdoctor.co.uk...

9spaceking

Con

well, at least I get to state my argument in 2Cnd, 3rd, and 4th round. I'll probably PM you to "provide your arguments and rebuttal in this round" (As said by the instigator himself, Because "I" in your perspective is Mastery, while "You" in your perspective is me. You'll only have 5th round to conclusion with no new arguments. :P (unless you want a full 7-point forfeit)
"3rd round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
Provide your arguments and rebuttal in this round. Again, please cite research provide evidence for arguments."
"Provide YOUR arguments and rebuttal in this round..."
"YOUR arguments and rebuttal"
"Rule breakage will result into a full 7 point loss unless forgiven by the opponent..." (I will not forgive this error. Sorry. It's your mistake. :P)
",..FULL 7 point loss..."

Now, to the argument--I argue smoking should not be banned. There are too many people who are addicted to smoking, In 2012, 967 million people were reported to smoke every day, as stated by http://www.bbc.com.... Banning smoking would only allow it even furthermore. Why is this? Well, you all can probably remember what happened when alcohol was banned--everyone attempted to hide it illegally, and children were on the same scale as adults--any age was prohibited to drink. But after the US allowed alcohol, children cannot get it now, showing a definite positive effect. Smoking is similar to alcohol, both being "consumed" by many many people around the world and both have negative effects. While you may argue it is "only is public places", smoking is hard to control, and it would be hard to track those people who smoke in secret.
Smoking is nearly impossible to get rid of, especially the addiction. Banning it in public and placing a fine on it would not work, people can still smoke in private, obtaining all your risks and dangers. If you wanted a strong argument, you should have said "ban smoking altogether", while that may be hard to control, it at least supports your health statements and your implication that if smoking was banned in public, people will be healthier. But this is not the case-- you are merely banning smoking in public, not exactly making everyone healthier.
I conclude round 2, and will PM you so that you can provide my arguments and rebuttals in the 3rd round. Thank you.
MASTERY

Pro

YOU have failed to provide your arguments and rebuttals in this round, thus you lose all points. I will continue the debate. There is nothing prohibiting me from continuing this round.

ARGUMENT

When a person smokes in public (and private, but the smoke won't affect anyone other than the main smoker) places, second hand smoke (SHS) is released. As a result, non-smokers breath in SHS. All of the health problems are spread to everyone else. I'll show you the facts
  • 7,000 harmful chemicals, at least 250 of which are known to damage your health. [1]
  • The smoke will stay in the air for a few hours after smoking. [1]
  • SHS can cause breathing problems. It can cause coughing‚ extra phlegm‚ wheezing‚ and shortness of breath. And for children, it can also cause bronchitis, pneumonia and breathlessness. [1]
  • "Since 1964, 2.5 million non smokers have died from exposure to second hand smoke." [2] This includes only adults, so the figure would be more had children been included.
  • "Non smokers who are exposed to second hand smoke increase their heart disease risk by 25–30%" [2]
  • "Non smokers who are exposed to second hand smoke at home or work increase their lung cancer risk by 20–30%." [2]

REBUTTAL

"There are too many people who are addicted to smoking, In 2012, 967 million people were reported to smoke every day, as stated by

http://www.bbc.com.......

Banning smoking would only allow it even furthermore. Why is this? Well, you all can probably remember what happened when alcohol was banned--everyone attempted to hide it illegally, and children were on the same scale as adults--any age was prohibited to drink. But after the US allowed alcohol, children cannot get it now, showing a definite positive effect. Smoking is similar to alcohol, both being "consumed" by many many people around the world and both have negative effects."

This topic is worldwide, even though it does not say so in the definition or topic. If you argue with that, a 7-point forfeit occurs. "The topic has to be debatable worldwide". There is simply no need to smoke publicly or semi-publicly; why not just smoke privately?

"While you may argue it is "only is public places", smoking is hard to control, and it would be hard to track those people who smoke in secret."

Any proof? Public smoking can easily by identified by any member of the community.

"Smoking is nearly impossible to get rid of, especially the addiction. Banning it in public and placing a fine on it would not work, people can still smoke in private, obtaining all your risks and dangers."

I will address this in my argument. The 1 billion people that do smoke would at least not affect anyone else who DOES NOT smoke, as they smoke privately. Only the about 10/72 people who smoke would be affected, not the whole world.

"If you wanted a strong argument, you should have said "ban smoking altogether", while that may be hard to control, it at least supports your health statements and your implication that if smoking was banned in public, people will be healthier. But this is not the case-- you are merely banning smoking in public, not exactly making everyone healthier."

I have thought out my decision to alter your topic.

9spaceking

Con

What the hay man?
"3rd round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
I'm not going to argue and rebut against myself.
"provide YOUR"....
you lose dude....my arguments were "I have no arguments against con".
lol alter the topic.
Good luck man arguing the way you pointed out the rules... "Provide your arguments.." this makes you auto-lose many arguments. Please see my debate "Mastery is hard to win against".
MASTERY

Pro

What the hay man?
"3rd round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.

You can't.

"provide YOUR"....

3rd round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.

3rd round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.
4th round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
4th round-Con Argument & Rebuttal.

Again, please cite research provide evidence for arguments.

Obviously, I am talking that YOU cite research. Even if I wrote what your 'arguments and rebuttals' you sent me in PM, YOU still failed to cite it. Same goes with arguments & rebuttals. YOU post your arguments & rebuttals in this round. So, you forfeited all 7-points.

lol alter the topic.

While I didn't plan it, this setup is an auto-lose for whoever accepts this challenge. This version has already being updated (see my debate against Jabuticaba).
9spaceking

Con

" this setup is an auto-lose for whoever accepts this challenge."
Ok, so you did this just for gaining elo?
Yay, congrats, you're not the greedy man I hoped you'd be.
MASTERY

Pro

"this setup is an auto-lose for whoever accepts this challenge."

I didn't even know it was an auto-lose before now. I repeat, the bug has being fixed in later versions.

No, I did it for fun.

9spaceking

Con

I hate this debate.
Posted by MASTERY 2 years ago
MASTERY
"Please provide (signals YOU to put it in R3 so I don't lose)"
Posted by MASTERY 2 years ago
MASTERY
Please provide YOUR arguments, you provide your arguements here.
Posted by MASTERY 2 years ago
MASTERY
Yes.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
What the hay man?
"3rd round-Pro Argument & Rebuttal.
"provide YOUR"
Posted by MASTERY 2 years ago
MASTERY
How do you get me to 'post' your args&rebuts in this round?
Posted by Technition 2 years ago
Technition
Join... Then break every single one of his rules.
Posted by yomama12 2 years ago
yomama12
not you again with ur stupid 7 point drop rule >:P
Posted by MASTERY 2 years ago
MASTERY
If you cannot accept the debate, and you wish to accept the challenge, please post here. If you have adequate experience, I will let you accept it.
Posted by MASTERY 2 years ago
MASTERY
This debate is not impossible to accept. It simply has a my Elo+ limit.