Opposite day could never fully happen

First round for acceptance only.

Opposite day will be referred to as literally everything being opposite. Literally everything. For example, on opposite day, hot water turns to cold.

My resolution will be that opposite day could never fully happen with current technology.
My opponent's resolution will be that opposite day could fully happen with current technology.

Thank you for accepting.

Opposite day is a holiday that takes place over a span of 24 hours. Everything you say or do means the opposite. Of course, Opposite day can't happen without humans making everything opposite. It can't be magic. I will name various problems and how they can not be opposite.

My structure in this debate is going to be different than my others. Since there are multiple problems with opposite day, I will name each one separately and provide a short argument for it. Con must refute each one and show how it can happen.

However, due to the fact that I failed to provide a structure for each round, I will keep my arguments at a maximum of two per round to not overwhelm the opponent, as seeing he/she is new here.

Sources will be at the bottom of the debate. With that said, onto my points!

---Sex change---
On Opposite day, a male turns into a female and a female turns into a male. However, this can not be done under current technology.

-Problem 1a: Cost--

Sex change operations cost a lot of money. And not everyone can afford it.

In many places around the world, such as Africa or Bolivia, people live in poverty. If every person were to undergo a sex change operation, the cost would be $24,000, which is $10,000 more than a normal person in poverty would have (1)(2).

Furthermore, that is how much poverty-stricken people make per year. Even if they saved up all year, which meant literally no food or water (or anything that costs money) they still wouldn't be able to pay for opposite day. They would be dead in six days or so without water.

That is how much a person would have to pay. On Amazon, which not many people have access to, a 100-set of BLADES cost $12.00 alone (3). And since every person, al 7 billion of them, would need safe scalpels, the price skyrockets. And let me remind you, that is only one surgical instrument.

--Problem 1b: Time--

Sex change operation, like all operations, take time. But we don't have the time to do every single operation.

The second clearly visual problem with sex change operations is the time. Since all 7 billion people would need a sex change operation, one would have to be done every 0.00001 seconds. That is only if all get one in a day. And since it would all need to be done within the smallest fraction of a second, it is impossible. At the very second, very NANOSECOND the clock chimes past midnight into opposite day, 7 billion sex change operations have to be done.

Yes, I know what you are going to say. "We can take all year to do this." No, we can't. If you get a sex change operation a day before opposite day, say from a man to a woman, you are now a woman. But right on opposite day, you would need to become a man. And sex-change operations are irreversible (1).

My resolution is that opposite day could never FULLY happen, which means I only need one proven argument to win this debate. However, for the sake of this debate, I will include some more reasons.

--Destroying and creating--
Another problem with opposite day is that various things will have to be created and destroyed at the same time. Which is impossible, maybe with any technology.

-- Problem 2a: Space--

On opposite day, every star, planet, black hole, and antimatter would need to be destroyed and carried out of existence. But I ask you, if we can barely travel to the moon, how can we do this?

Space is vast and possibly unending. Mankind has only been able to travel to the moon, which is actually one of the closest things to us in space. It took us three days to fly to the moon (4). And the moon in 300,000 kilometers from Earth. The closest star, besides the sun, is about... 2.35139993× 1013 miles away (5). In other words, it takes light, which travels 186,000 miles per second (6), 4 years to reach the nearest star. Our top speed is 17,500 miles an hour (7), or 4.86 miles per second. You don't even have to do the math. It is impossible for us to reach the NEAREST STAR, let alone other GALAXIES. I'm not even going to get into the fact that we don't have enough technology to destroy a star.

With my arguments done, I pass this debate along to con.

(1) (Used twice)

olney_debater_hb forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited this round. I have nothing to say.

olney_debater_hb forfeited this round.

Yet again, my opponent forfeits her round. All arguments extended.

olney_debater_hb forfeited this round.
Posted by MassiveDump 2 years ago
Kudos to your Round 2. Definitely well-considered.
Posted by Physix 2 years ago
"with the current technology, opposite day could never happen."
I wasn't aware anyone in the history of trivial thoughts ever believed this.
Posted by DB8ISSUES17 2 years ago
If on opposite day, hot water runs cold, does this imply a sort of parallel universe? As in, on that day, male becomes female, dog becomes cat, etc.? However, how can this be possible when not every object has an immediate opposite? Also, what if multiple objects have the same opposite? Just curious, thanks.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Amen to that!

Opposite Day could make a fun little holiday, but I think pro is taking it more literally; like if Christmas really involved a fat man breaking into every house, eating their food, and leaving being coal (or other presents).
Posted by Cheetah 2 years ago
If a woman says she's fine on opposite day it would mean that she's actually fine and I think thats enough proof on why real opposite day cannot occur.
Vote Placed by Spamkybones 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited