VyleKarma
Jurasthemonk

Oppression by corporations is more of a concern than oppression by governments.

VyleKarma has forfeited round #2.

VyleKarma

Con

Debate Format (deviation from format denotes forfeiture - let's have a real debate)

Round 1: Acceptance of format and definitions

Round 2: Opening statements

Round 3: Rebuttals

Round 4: Defense of statements and closing argument

Definitions

Oppression: the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner.

Threat: a person or thing likely to cause damage or danger.
Jurasthemonk

Pro

First of all, excellent choice of the statement!

Ok here are some definitions:

1. Oppression: A state of being wherein fundamental individual liberty is gravely threatened generally by a powerful person or entity.
( A slight modification of your definition )
2. Corporation: A corporation is a legal entity that is separate and distinct from its owners.
Posted by C_e_e 10 months ago
C_e_e
Oppression by corporations is more of a concern than oppression by governments ... in democracies. In none democratic societies, I can see the concern of tyranny, with a full military to back it. But, in democratic societies, there is the risk that people will be reduced to cogs in the wheels of a corporate-profit machine rather than being treated like human beings. When I hear people argue for "less government," and "less regulation," I think, "I have a say in what my government does, in that I have a vote. But, I do not have a say in what a corporation does. Only the government in which I have a voice, has a say in what a corporation does via the government's laws. If a corporation's executives decide to make EpiPens unreasonably expensive due to less regulation, or decide to instantiate a 70-hour work week for all employees due to less regulation, I prefer to live in a democratic society that has a regulatory voice in what corporations do, than living in a society that doesn't."
Posted by Anon1984 10 months ago
Anon1984
Haha. I almost accepted, until I realized I had to be pro. I agree with the con on this topic, if I can be of any assistance in your debate please feel free to message me/ add me as a friend as I've had some experience debating the con position on this topic. Good luck to you and I'm looking forward to reading this debate once it occurs.