KnightOfDarkness
Doom-Guy-666-1993

Optimism

KnightOfDarkness

KnightOfDarkness

Pro

Rules:
1) No personal attacks, ad hominem, insults
2) Do not rebut your opponent's arguments and present new arguments. Only do one or the other: it would put you at too much of an advantage if you could both rebut my arguments and present new arguments. Either present different arguments for your position(which could be pessimism or realism) or just offer rebuttals to my argument. Please don't do both, since I am unable to do both since there is just one round of debate. If you do both, voters have reason to vote for me for conduct.

My argument:
I believe optimism is ideal over realism or pessimism because it enables us to do things we would not normally attempt. It is scientifically sound and factual that we tend to not try things we think we can't do[1] and optimism helps us out in this way. If we were pessimists, we would more often see things as impossible to do, and thus never try them. As a pessimist, you may never try many things you could actually excel at, but as an optimist, you will more likely try these things and you may discover something new you're good at. Even being a realist isn't always beneficial, for the odds might be that you won't accomplish something, so you're being realistic in saying that the chances are that you won't be able to do that feat, but an optimist would attempt to do it anyways, and they may succeed.

Optimists are more likely to engage in active coping when negative things arise, whereas pessimists are more likely to use avoidant coping.[1] Active coping is superior because it means you're doing something to get out of the negative problem, whereas avoiding the problem won't make it go away. At least with active coping, there is a possibility you can put an end to the problem, but avoiding it means it definitely won't go away.

Now, while there are some negative things about being overly optimistic, such as believing that you achieved success because of yourself, without giving credit to other things such as a friend, luck, or whatever else may have helped you. Additionally, optimists are more likely to use constructive action against problems, but if a problem is unchangeable, then this would all be wasted. This is why I would say it is good to be healthily optimistic but understand there are some situations where optimism won't work and being realistic is necessary. That said, I am not supporting realism, as I believe it should only be used in some instances, but optimism should be the default position for most situations.

Source:
[1] https://www.researchgate.net...
Doom-Guy-666-1993

Con

A fair mix of the two is ideal, hope is necessary but staying grounded in reality is just as useful or more so.
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
It's a renaissance-style Tom Hardy portrait. I'm pretty sure that this picture is based off of a famous renaissance portrait though.
Posted by Doom-Guy-666-1993 1 year ago
Doom-Guy-666-1993
I own that painting, what is it called?
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Con somewhat agrees with pro, and fails to provide any sort of argument, or at least make an effort to do so.
Vote Placed by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
KnightOfDarknessDoom-Guy-666-1993Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made just one tiny argument. Pro made an argument that used sources.