Poachi
HiOedipus

Orangutans Are Much More Awesome Than Ring-Tailed Lemurs

Poachi

Pro

I will thank my opponent if they choose to accept this debate. If you do, wait until round two for opening arguments.
HiOedipus

Con

Dear Pro,

I contend that your views are mistaken in so that ring-tailed lemurs are much more awesome than the silly orangutans. I heartily accept your challenge and wish you the best of luck!

So, tell me: why do you believe so?
Poachi

Pro

I thank my kind opponent for accepting this debate, and will proceed to bring up the affirmative constructive.

Clarification: We are here to determine whether or not the Bornean Orangutan, Pongo pygmaeus, is more awesome than the Ring-Tailed Lemur, Lemur catta.

Definition:
Awesome - showing or characterized by awe

-Constructive-
I present the Affirmative Case.

Contention 1: Orangutans are a species the great apes, and as such, are more characterized by awesomeness than Lemurs. Orangutans are closely related to such animals as Gorrillas and by extension the ancestors of that species. Orangutan-ian ancestors can be traced back to Australopithecus Afarensis. Oragutans are by lineage greater in size, and placing on the food chain than Lemurs. While the Lemur is only a pint-sized example of primate evolution.

Contention 2: Lemurs often war with each other while orangutans are mainly docile. Lemurs have a very unstable system of organization. They often switch their heirarchy by season and are often dominated in matriarchal and matrialine societies. What kind of awe-inspiring animal is ruled by it's women, who mind you are less then 2-feet tall. The orangutan species avoids this kind of system by only coming together to mate and raise children. The children are disregarded in lemur culture, in an episode of "The Most Extreme: Fighters" we are given a look over how lemurs fight. They heavily saturate their tails with scent marking fluids from glands near their genitals and fire stink-bombs at each other by flinging the nasty fluid from their tail. The mother's in this battle were also seen endangering their own children by rushing into hand-to-hand combat with babies still on their backs.

Contention 3: Orangutans make better use of their environment. Orangutans are the most arboreal of all great apes, from their specialized arms made for swinging, to their feet that are curved to give better grip, they are truly better adapted to their environment. Lemurs are believed to have enter Madagascar around 50-80 million years ago, making them less adapted to their environment, rather, they soil it through use of scent marking. They basically rub their genitalia upon any object near them in order to tell other lemurs to go away. Orangutans are known as expert tool-users, they take shoots of grass and turn them into a sort of primitive sticky spoon to gather ants from ant-nests. Orangutans are also known to be tireless workers. Every night they labor to make nests, especially females who are known to carry their young for as many as 7 years.

We can only conclude that the awe-inspiring orangutan is much better than a lemur in inspiring awe for their beautiful caring souls, large bodies, simple and effective societal structure, greater intelligence, and their adaptation to their environoment.
HiOedipus

Con

Thank you for your detailed response and time taken into your reply.�

Indeed, we are here to discuss whether the Bornean Orangutan, Pongo pygmaeus, IS truly more awesome than the Ring-Tailed Lemur, Lemur catta. As we agree on our definition of awesome, I contest that our fair lemur is more awesome than the orangutan. I will systematically analyze your points and destroy you. Following these, I will retort with my own assertions.

Your case:
1. Being of the species of great apes does not immediately qualify one for awesome, and certainly not more so than another species. A fascination with the great apes implies one with such great interest in anthropology, making it a specific term reaching only a select group. While, indeed, it is interesting that these creatures are related to Australopithecus Afarensis, it does not mean that they are more awesome. The interest with the discovery of Lucy is only because it is a modern one(1) that occurred in our lifetimes. In years, it will simply become something of a textbook, insignificant and another fact remembered for minutes. Although the closing comment on lemurs being a pint-sized example of evolution is comical, you must remember that lemurs and orangutans share a very close ancestor -- much more common than many other pairs of animals in the world. Their ancestry both spans back to the same Order, making the lemur a relative, albeit distant one (2)(3). Moreover, insulting the ring-tailed lemur by calling this primate "pint-sized" is not a well-contrived insult at all. One's size neither indicates worth nor legacy, as shown by present day life. Their small size is actually beneficial to their awesomeness, and if Con has a differing viewpoint, he shall elaborate it more fully.�

2. We must recognize the survival of the fittest with these species. For the Bornean orangutan, we see how select the numbers are. For ring-tailed lemurs, we see only the strongest surviving and becoming members of a society. For cheetahs, we see the least fit in the cages because of their inability to escape. Cultures of animals are all different; however, we must recognize this survival of the fittest. In the ring-tailed lemurs, we see an awesome system of animals all vying to be at the top, but more importantly -- to survive. Lemurs do not war with each other because they are mean, hateful creatures. They often fight because it is part of their culture. In order to create a competitive and strong community, lemurs must engage in fighting to make sure the hierarchy is how it is supposed to be. Just as dogs fight, lemurs do also. It is part of their culture and way of life.

Their system of organization is not unstable; on the contrary, it is very formulated and very precise. The switching of hierarchy is to allow further reproduction and for the strongest to be at the head of the group. Although the species is matrilineal, it does not make them any less awesome. In fact, some of the most awesome creatures are matrilineal: lions (4), whales (5), and even Judaism! (6) Furthermore, the children are NOT disregarded; the natal groups of children care for them until they reach sexual maturity. If they are a male, this is the time that they will leave their group. If they are female, they join the natal group that they were born into. Mothers simply refuse to help their daughters with fighting; because of this, daughters are not born into rank, but must instead fight to earn it -- a true survival of the fittest. Regardless of the validity of the latter half of your post regarding how lemurs fight, I believe that most would agree that the idea of beating your opponent with stink-bombs DOES make the ring-tailed lemur awesome.

I am out of room to discuss points further, but I will enjoy your retort to the points that I have addressed. In my next post, I will provide my own points, address your third point, and provide the sources that I used.

P.S. I dislike our character limit!
Poachi

Pro

Poachi forfeited this round.
HiOedipus

Con

HiOedipus forfeited this round.
Poachi

Pro

Poachi forfeited this round.
HiOedipus

Con

HiOedipus forfeited this round.
Poachi

Pro

Poachi forfeited this round.
HiOedipus

Con

HiOedipus forfeited this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
It's probably the resemblance to humans that make orangutans more awesome.
Posted by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
whats the difference.
Posted by retarded-flamingo 7 years ago
retarded-flamingo
i have a problem with apes. one tried to rape me from behind but i managed to escape.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
All debate are serious, though all debates are not logical.
Posted by Ore_Ele 7 years ago
Ore_Ele
really? Is this suppose to be a serious debate?
Vote Placed by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
PoachiHiOedipusTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
PoachiHiOedipusTied