AgnosticPanda
AbandonedSpring

Organized religion

AgnosticPanda

Con

I believe that organized religions are flawed systems of belief because they require you to worship a "God" and may squish any other beliefs that may be present prior to accepting religion or disables you from beliefs that may actually relate to your surroundings and it can cause you to believe that there is a "plan" for human kind.

What say you?
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Hello! And thanks for starting this debate!

Now, I'm not going to flog you with religious text, that would be ignorant.

I'll hear you out, perhaps it is a flawed system, and the issue you you presented, "may squish any other beliefs that may be present prior to accepting religion or disables you from beliefs that may actually relate to your surroundings and it can cause you to believe that there is a "plan" for human kind." is extremely common. However, not all religious organizations are like this, while it may be diamond in the rough, the religious organizations which appeal to the overall well-being of a body are good. The issue with religious texts of God are that they can be heavily interpreted. Most of the times, these interpretations are used to sway the ideology of those who listen. However, it is possible for a group or people, who have a faith, regardless of religion to be truly good, and want the best for a person. Regardless of whether they believe in the same thing or not.

Organized religion on itself is not inherently bad, it's the people who are behind the curtain that make it bad. There can exist a pure desire for holiness, but it can only be achieved through loving one another, which is also in the majority or religious texts.

Thank you, I am not finished
AgnosticPanda

Con

Thank you accepting this debate.

My biggest problem with religion is the amount of influence the organizations have or the people the take up the mantle of leadership under religious pretense. If religion were say, some kind of philosophy where priests and such were teachers and were not ranked. Organized religion simply holds too much sway on the general population. I detest the fact that the Roman Catholic Church has a pope or cardinals that stand above other priests in terms on authority. Perhaps other religions don't have such a structure and if they don't please enlighten me to the differences in the more major faiths (I grew up roman catholic, now agnostic). There is no issue with different interpretations of texts, different people different ideas and all that. In fact that is the way it should be, with nobody as an 'authority' on 'God'.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

I understand your argument, however, the opportunity for a religion that does not have a structure such as the Roman Catholic Church (as mentioned), is within the realm of possibility. While I understand your frustration with the pope, the overall structure needs to be examined. The pope is more symbolic than anything else. I do not believe he in anyway ought to be held above any other man on this earth, however he is just a man who teaches the word of the bible. Other than that, he means nothing to the majority of people. And that's how it should be when it comes to people. The fact of the matter is: religions a choice, and therefore so is the religious organizations they might be associated with. The possibility of a religion with no ranks is too great to get rid of religion as a whole, and therefore, I stand in my argument.

Thanks you, I am finished.
AgnosticPanda

Con

Thank you for your point of view. It was very informing
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Of course, and I'm glad to hear yours!
things like this help people recognize their place of ignorance, and it helps us understand and others as we want to be treated.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
It matters not how a person is indoctrinated. Once they reach a certain age, they can then pick and choose what to believe. Some fall way completely from what they were taught. Like atheists and religious folks alike. Individualism is at the root of all human behavior.I was raised in Catholicism. But at the age of 24 by simply reading the bible on pur[pose, I shook off that mantle. Don't know any other way to put it. But there are peol;le who were raised in some protestant religions that went to Catholicism.There are atheists that raised their kid as an atheist where that child may be out preaching the gospel.

Now I believe the best way to raise a child is to practice what is being taught. I, for one, am glad that what I taught my kids had teeth in it and they all stayed with it.Once they got out in the world and saw what works and what does not.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
A lot of Indian and Chinese religions are fairly decentralized. Tibetan Buddhism does have a Dalai Lama, but he is technically only the head of the Gelugpa sect, and is not over all Tibetan Buddhists. In Theravada Buddhist countries, there are elected or appointed heads of the major Theravada sects, but they are merely figureheads and un-necessary to the function of Theravada on the popular and monastic levels. Similar situations exist within the Buddhist traditions of China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam, and though there are "lineages" of succession, these institutions are too disorganized and fragmented to have the same level of control that you would see in a monolithic institution like the Catholic Church. Similarly, in India, though there are heads and leaders of different sects, most friction in Hindu society is with Islam, Christianity, Sikhism and Marxism, or between rival castes. Hindu sects in themselves are fairly tolerant of each other on a purely religious level, as they are tolerant of the non-Hindu Buddhist and Jain faiths. Sikhism, too, would likely not experience much friction were it not for the actions of certain Sikh separatists and the Indian government reprisals. And in China, Vietnam, Korea, and Japan there are many minor obscure syncretic religions which lack the same degree of ideological rigidity and moral control that you might see in the Catholic Church, or in Islam.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Pandars are pretty cool.
Posted by AgnosticPanda 2 years ago
AgnosticPanda
uhhh maybe? but i am agnostic and i like pandas.. :P
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Isn't "agnostic panda" a tautology?