Angelina_S1496
vmpire321

Original Japanese Anime is superior to regular American cartoons

vmpire321
Started: 3/3/2012 Category: Technology

Angelina_S1496

Pro

This is a spar. No research or sources allowed. Thanks and let's get started!

I am for the topic matter of anime being superior to regular cartoons for the following two contentions.

1. learning other languages while not in school
2. better animations.

Okay, so on to my first contention. While we watch anime we can learn how to speak Japanese. It is a fun language and I personally have watched Anime over the years and can now almost fluently speak the language, and I didn't have any need to be in school for this! And anime has better animations. Anime is a type of show that has beautiful images and sounds, as well as a lot of different types. There are romances, dramas, horrors, ect. For these reasons I feel Anime is better than any other regular American cartoon
vmpire321

Con

I shall assume the implication that we are talking about a child in the United States.

==Refutations==

I shall first refute my opponent's arguments.

C1: Learning Japanese

My opponent has failed to explain why learning other languages is, at all, important. If anything, this will clog up student's memory with useless and unimportant information - after all, the major and widely-spoken language is English. This would detract from a student's learning.

My second point would be that many people agree that if you were to assume that a person's first tongue was English, then Japanese would probably the hardest language to learn. The idea that Americans would be able to learn the hardest language from Anime is preposterous. This would imply that either
--a) The subject is devoting a lot of time to Anime.
--b) The subject is mentally more capable than the average person.

In situation A, anime would, once again, slow down a student's academic merit, and bother them with unnecessary entertainment. I believe that you can understand this - many times I have procrastinated homework to watch the latest episode of some random anime.

In situation B, this would only account for the small minority that are able to learn languages so quickly. And they are irrelevant - because obviously there are other ways for geniuses to learn languages.

C2: Better Animations

My opponent has failed to produce a valid argument supporting the idea that anime is superior. Instead, she simply stated qualities that both anime and cartoons have in common.
Cartoons can contain detailed drawings coupled with beautiful sound effects and good voice actors. Not to mention that their are a lot of different types of cartoons - ranging from silent cartoons to classics, such as The Three Stooges, to mystery cartoons, such as Scooby Doo, to comedies such as Calvin and Hobbes.

==Contentions==

C1: Broad Subjects
A cartoon would be any from of a 2-d drawing. Apparently, my opponent has restricted sources, so I cannot provide a source, but that is the basic understanding of a cartoon. Now, anime is restricted to animations and motion pictures but cartoons can vary between drawings and animations.

C2: Reinforcing School Subjects
Most cartoons, if anything, teach at the very least English to the people who listen/read. Learning and reinforcing English skills is obviously more valuable than learning some random language, especially in America. Furthermore, cartoons such as Scooby Doo, may increase and promote a child's creativity and analysis skills.
Angelina_S1496

Pro

Angelina_S1496 forfeited this round.
vmpire321

Con

Extend all points.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
But I'll play devil's advocate
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
I am PRO on this
Vote Placed by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Angelina_S1496vmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Ok yeah, Im pretty sure I dont have to explain this.....
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Angelina_S1496vmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The arguments here were pretty weak, but Con's went unrefuted due to Pro's forfeit.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
Angelina_S1496vmpire321Tied