PonticGreekMacedonian
Esiar

Orthodoxy and Islam are similar in many ways

PonticGreekMacedonian has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

PonticGreekMacedonian

Pro

Hello, I am Greek Orthodox and I am here to debate about the similarities between Orthodoxy and Islam. I will be debating for this topic and my opponent will obviously debate against this topic. I will explain how both the Religions are similar but my opponent will explain how they are not. This is a friendly debate and it does not require any hate, I will respect my opponent's views. God Bless!
Esiar

Con

I won't say anything for my points on this round because you didn't. I hope we have a good/friendly debate!
PonticGreekMacedonian

Pro

Thank you for accepting! Now like it was explained in the comments of Orthodoxy, personally I see Islam as very similar. They both have respect for saints and prophets that spoke the word of God, they both worship God and they both worship Jesus! They both have similar ceremonies, for example on Orthodox Easter, we all hold candles and we walk around while we celebrate Jesus who died for us on the cross, Muslims do something very similar to that!
Esiar

Con

Now I will be explaining the things that are not similar.

Muslims don't actually worship Jesus. They believe that Jesus was created (Surah 3:59), that he wasn't killed (Surah 4:157), is no more than a messenger of Allah & that the Trinity is false (4:171), that the Gospel was revealed to Jesus rather than it being written after he died (Surah 5:46), that he himself said not to worship him (5:116), and that he isn't the son of God (19:34-35). These things go against Christianity's fundamental beliefs, and for a Christian to reject the things that Islam says about Jesus would go against Islam's fundamental belief that Muhammad is the prophet of Allah. This means that the fundamental beliefs of Islam and Christianity have a big contradiction, despite the similarities.
PonticGreekMacedonian

Pro

Very good analysis! According to Muslims I have met, they attend Islamic Mosques and have explained to me that their Mosque does ceremonies for the death of Jesus. In their Mosque they recognise the death of Jesus. Back to the saints and prophets, both the religions have a respect for the saints and prophets mentioned in the Bible. In Europe there are Easterners and Westerners, basically most of the Easterners are Orthodox while the Westerners are Islamic but there isn't much difference at all. Orthodox Christians kiss Icons and the hands of Priests and Muslims kiss Icons and the beards of Priests, both shows respect and devotion.
Esiar

Con

If there are Mosques that do ceremonies for the death of Jesus, that has to do with Muslims being similar, not Islam itself, which would not condone those ceremonies. I can't deny that there are obvious similarities, but my main point is that the differences outweigh them, seeing how the main differences in the Qur'an and Bible are foundational.
Posted by PonticGreekMacedonian 1 year ago
PonticGreekMacedonian
You are looking at things differently. You are referring to ISIS and they basically done everything against the Muslim religion!
Posted by TheBenC 1 year ago
TheBenC
How many segments of any religion are calling for mass murders and killing people who are not part of that religion? I can only name 1, Islam. Are there parts of the Greek Orthodox church that are telling people to go out and commit suicidal terrorist attacks?
PonticGreekMacedonian
We're not like the Catholics, sorry spelling error
PonticGreekMacedonian
In the Orthodox belief we obviously worship God and his son Jesus. But we also respect the saints and prophets of the Bible and so they are an important part of our religion. We also serve the Virgin Mary because she is obviously a massive party of the Bible. We're bit like the Catholics who have a Pope, we have a group of Bishops but we believe that only Christ is the head and founder of the Orthodox Church!
Posted by Esiar 1 year ago
Esiar
I would except this but I'd need a further explanation of what exactly you believe
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
get back to work monkey there are infidels having fun out there
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
orthodoxy is also terrorism?
Posted by CuriousFear 1 year ago
CuriousFear
I'm a Muslim and I agree. So, I'll pass.
PonticGreekMacedonian
In terms of beliefs and ceremonies
Posted by ThinkBig 1 year ago
ThinkBig
You need to define similar. Which criteria are we using and which ways are we talking about?