kara
dvhoose

Our Economy

dvhoose

kara

Pro

Good luck

Everyone says our Economy is so bad and everyone says there going to run out of money but I don't see the big deal there United States has to do is print more money but I don't think there smart enough to figure that out. People say were going into depression and things are going to turn out like the great depression well one way they could help is use alternative fuels you don't have to be that smart to figure this out!
dvhoose

Con

First, I'd like to thank my opponent for proposing this topic.

As I understand it, my opponent proposed two solutions for the economy. They are:
1) Printing more money and
2) Use alternative fuels.

I will refute each of these in turn.

It is completely idealistic and naive to think that the United States Federal Government can solve all our problems simply by minting more money. Whenever this is done, the amount of currency in circulation increases, thus increasing the amount of payment a company needs to continue to experience the profits, or lack thereof, that currently exists. This idea is referred to as inflation. An explanation of why inflation happens with the printing of money can be found below [1]

Using alternative fuels poses a more feasible solution, yet ultimately fails. As of now, no alternative fuel exists that can sufficiently replace gasoline or diesel as a fuel. The same is true of replacing coal to generate electricity. Let's examine some problems of the more common alternative fuels (whether they replace coal or oil as my opponent specified neither).

Solar- Not cost competitive, needs excessive capitol, doesn't trap enough energy [2]
Wind- Excessive space needs, not enough energy for the cost [3]
Nuclear- Problems with nuclear waste, nuclear weapons, and the health of a society that uses primarily nuclear energy [4]
E85- Potential damage to engines, actually loses energy (that is, more energy is required to make it than is gained by burning it), emits CO2, isn't efficient (compared to gas), and the list continues... [5]
*Any other energies my opponent wishes to bring up will be refuted in the next round.

For those reading as an audience, I'd like to point out that as CON, I need only to prove that the solution to our economic crisis does NOT lie in the solutions proposed by my opponent. I need not propose the SOLUTION to the economic crisis. Remember, people have been asking how this could be solved ever since this crisis arose. If the solution was as simple as to print currency and use alternative fuels, don't you think more Americans would be doing so? I think it safe to say that nobody likes the way the economy is right now, and that Americans would be willing to do whatever it takes to get us out, after all, paying over 4 bucks a gallon for gas didn't seem to stop anyone...

I'd like to finish by, once again, thanking my opponent for proposing this debate and her solutions, and by thanking any reader and potential voter on this topic.

Good luck, and I look forward to the counter-argument.

--SOURCES--

[1]- Idea behind inflation http://www.economicshelp.org...
[2]- Problems with solar http://library.thinkquest.org...
[3]- Problems with wind http://library.thinkquest.org...
[4]- Problems with nuclear http://www.mna.hkr.se...
[5]- Problems with E85 http://www.weatherimagery.com...
kara

Pro

I have to say my opponent has a good start but he needs to prove more. I do agree with my opponent most os the way. I see one error in my first post if the U.S prints more money that would mean cutting down trees and that wouldn't help the enviorment.Using Alterbative fuels would help though and when i mentioned that the first that i ment both of them. I know my opponent will win because i brought up no points in this debate. I did not understand his debate and could not respond in the correct way and I know this won't help me get anywhere on this site. I apologize to my opponent for not putting up a good debate. I am also sorry i could not understand his last post. Thank you all
dvhoose

Con

To begin, my opponent claims that printing more currency would "mean cutting down trees and that wouldn't help the enviorment" (sic). She then goes on to say that using alternative energies would help the environment. I am confused, now, as to whether the debate is concerning the economy or the environment. I will proceed to write this rebuttal as if we were debating the economy, the original focus of this debate.

I'd like to apologize for any misunderstanding encountered by either my opponent or myself.

And now to refute the claims made in the previous speech...

While my opponent asks for me to prove more, she provides me with no area in which I should improve, no specific argument needs strengthening, a thus I can't enforce clarity on anything

My opponent claims that printing more money means cutting down more trees. To this, I respond that the paper currency used as legal tender in the United States is a cotton and linen blend, so as to give it the durability and unique feel. [1]

Next, she claims that using alternative energies would help. In response, I have two answers. 1) The economy currently employs some of these technologies, and we're still in the middle of an economic crisis, and 2) America is based on a capitalist society, if only at heart, and Americans are going to do what is best for their wallets, not necessarily what's best for the environment. The only reason alternative energies are doing as well as they are now is that the government has offered huge subsidies and tax breaks for their use.

I accept both, my opponents concession and her apology, yet for clarity, I'll (briefly) summarize the arguments made in my last speech.

*Printing money only leads to inflation, which, in turn, only makes the economy worse.
*Alternative energies have several inherent flaws which renders them useless from an economic standpoint.
*As CON, I didn't have to solve the economic problem, only prove that printing money and using alternative energies wouldn't work.

I'd like to begin concluding by running through a checklist of the six areas in which you, the judges, will vote on.
1) Original belief - Obviously, I can't tell you how to vote here...
2) Belief now- After reading this debate, I hope you find that printing money encourages negative growth, and makes our current situation worse, and that alternative energies have several hinderances that prevent them from entering mainstream society on a major scale.
3) Conduct- This, again, is one based heavily in personal opinion
4) Spelling and Grammar- Yet again can't help you.
5) Convincing arguments- I believe this links into more reliable sources
6) Most reliable sources- I offer you, the judges, several sources as it pertains to the factual evidence in my speeches, while my opponent offers you zero, therefore, I strongly encourage you to vote in my favor on this issue, which links back to convincing arguments because I provide stated fact as to my stance, which is lacking in my opponents.

Finally, I would like to thank my opponent for proposing this topic, and allowing me the chance to experience a debate on debate.org. I'd also like to thank those of you who read this, for taking time out of your life. Last but not least I'd like to thank the judges for not only reading, but voting on this issue.

Thank you to those who vote in my favor, and to those who don't, if it's not too much trouble to offer some constructive criticism for me to improve, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once again, and I wish the best of luck in all future debates.

--SOURCES--
[1] Composition of Paper Money http://www.enotes.com...
Posted by anikiforouk 8 years ago
anikiforouk
omg, this debate was pointless, PS kara, if you want i can send you some messeges more to explain how things work :)
Posted by anikiforouk 8 years ago
anikiforouk
paper currency is used to represnt the dollrs etc, when you print more currency, you make each of that currency worth less, so eventually people will stil make for example 70K, but that 70K will worth less and could bcecome nothing, like it did so many times in the history.
Our economy is not bad, sure it has ups and downs but to think when its bad, it sucks, is to be naive, when the economy grew to largest hights in history , did you think it would keep doing that , if so, go and read, its impossible. It might look not so good now, but it will improve in 2-3 year period,
learn your history before making senseless remarks
:(
Posted by Poop2stick 8 years ago
Poop2stick
Just so you know, currency isn't made from paper, and thus it isn't made from trees. It is made mostly from linen and cotton.
Posted by kara 8 years ago
kara
ya you have to say our ecomnomy is bad
Posted by kara 8 years ago
kara
you have to say something good about our ecomomy
Posted by questionmark 8 years ago
questionmark
so i have to say our economy sucks? or that it doesnt?
Vote Placed by dvhoose 8 years ago
dvhoose
karadvhooseTied
Vote Placed by Wingdman 8 years ago
Wingdman
karadvhooseTied
Vote Placed by LoganBarnes 8 years ago
LoganBarnes
karadvhooseTied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
karadvhooseTied
Vote Placed by Poop2stick 8 years ago
Poop2stick
karadvhooseTied
Vote Placed by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
karadvhooseTied
Vote Placed by ournamestoolong 8 years ago
ournamestoolong
karadvhooseTied