FinickyRealist
Alpacthulhu

Our biggest problem is not having the means of effectively dealing with problems

FinickyRealist

Pro

Say I want to solve a conflict between two countries, say I as an individual want to make peace between the united states and well sadly...many countries. What tools do I have at my disposal to make this happen? As an individual, how much impact can I really have on the world by dedicating my entire life to one specific or many problem?

My main concern initially would obviously have to be something like trying to convince other people to join me, whether it be politicians or my neighbor Joe....but....most people are already against war and poverty etc... but they don't want to spend half their lives or even 1% of their lives on this issue because of the same reason no one else is doing it! There is little hope for an individual to change the world....

So what if instead of letting few people dedicate their entire lives on global and local issues, how could we engage the majority to contribute say....an average of 5 minutes per day on issues. Would you contribute if you knew everyone was doing it and it only took 5 minutes instead of 100 years? And was more successful in 5 minutes with everyone doing it than you could ever be in your entire life?

My position here is what the title says, and I can't help but consider solutions....so in the next round I will propose something and people can vote on whether it's feasible and a good idea.
Alpacthulhu

Con

So you really just needed a fake contender?

You said that you would just be posting some ideas and having people vote...

...Or do you actually want somebody to argue with you and explain to you exactly how a representative democracy works?

..

I'll assume the latter.

There is a means to solve problems, and that is voting in elections. This is the way a representative democracy works.

Frankly, it isn't the job of the citizenry to 'contribute say....an average of 5 minutes per day on issues', and they really have no way to do it.

You need to explain what this contribution would entail. Lobbying congress? Petitions? Bombing governmental buildings until the government bends to your will?
FinickyRealist

Pro

As a matter of fact I am well aware of what a representative democracy is and frankly, it's not doing a very good job solving our problems is it now? Seeing as half the people live on less than $2.50 a day and every life supporting system on earth is in a state of decline that includes our "economy" the deterioration of the environment through depletion of resources, the destruction of ecosystems, the extinction of wildlife and the list goes on...

What I'd propose is something along the lines of a direct democracy but this debate is about whether our means of dealing with problems are EFFECTIVE, now obviously that adjective is relative so we will leave it up to the voters to decide.

http://www.statisticbrain.com...
Alpacthulhu

Con

'it's not doing a very good job solving our problems is it now? Seeing as half the people live on less than $2.50 a day'

That statistic is for the entire world. The entire world is not a republican democracy.

'every life supporting system on earth is in a state of decline that includes our "economy"'

Not quite sure why 'economy' is in quotes, but I'll run with it. The United States economy is, yes, trashed, but the problem isn't the system. The problem is that we've had an utterly imbecilic budget for the past seventy years (more or less).

'the deterioration of the environment through depletion of resources'

Like what? We haven't yet run out of any resources.

'the destruction of ecosystems'

If you're referring to forests getting cut down and stuff, that, again is not the fault of the system. That is just companies doing what they're legally allowed to do, and for your information, trees do this strange thing now called growing, so when you cut them down, more trees grow back.

'the extinction of wildlife'

Well, there are somewhere near 10,000 species of animals being killed off every year, but those are the ones that are virtually indistinguishable from hundreds of other species, and probably have been endangered for the past 10,000 years, and lived on a little island in the Pacific with a name nobody can pronounce unless he/she knows some half-dead dialect of a nearly-dead Samoan language. It's called natural selection, and, again, this has nothing whatsoever to do with a republican democracy.

And I'm evidently missing the point of this debate but it was somewhat hard to understand exactly what you were looking for in a debate.
FinickyRealist

Pro

FinickyRealist forfeited this round.
Alpacthulhu

Con

Mk, m80s. I gu355 w3 4r3 n0 l0ng3r d3b471ng, so I'll ju$7 d0 7h15, m9s.
FinickyRealist

Pro

FinickyRealist forfeited this round.
Alpacthulhu

Con

Alpacthulhu forfeited this round.
Posted by Alpacthulhu 2 years ago
Alpacthulhu
Ja
Posted by FinickyRealist 2 years ago
FinickyRealist
Sorry mate, what I meant was that you confused me when you said miss...
Posted by Alpacthulhu 2 years ago
Alpacthulhu
Oh, whoops. Must be I confused you with somebody else... There was somebody I was debating who was female, and I thought that was you... Hrmph...
Posted by FinickyRealist 2 years ago
FinickyRealist
Sorry, just got the notice, I forgot about this....Maybe some other time. Thanks for contending.
Posted by FinickyRealist 2 years ago
FinickyRealist
Haha, you confused me with that miss....I am a man, unfortunately I cannot change that in my profile.
Posted by Alpacthulhu 2 years ago
Alpacthulhu
*know. This is why I don't post on my phone unless I need to.
Posted by Alpacthulhu 2 years ago
Alpacthulhu
I expect something from my contender this round, miss.

And I don't k ow why you think you can attack the quality of my points what with that of yours.
Posted by FinickyRealist 2 years ago
FinickyRealist
No, but I expect more from my contender next round.
Posted by Alpacthulhu 2 years ago
Alpacthulhu
Did you give up m9?
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 2 years ago
Gabe1e
FinickyRealistAlpacthulhuTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture- But Con was acting foolish at the end.