sahaam
KhalifV

Our society is at the worst its ever been.

KhalifV

sahaam

Pro

I believe that our society is at the worst it has ever been as the generations go on and on. Society has made girls/women think that there meant to be skinny and have large breasts and if you don't then your not a real woman or girl. Society has made boys/men think that there meant to have abs and be really fit in order to be hot.
in our society everyone is supposed to have the same clothes and technology to fit in. Everyone's has to go by the latest trends.
I'm not saying that everyone's judgemental but MOST people are in our society.
More teenagers are think that the world revolves around them.
The 21st century is the century when drugs alcohol and sex came to the normal,
People would risk their own health by smoking just to look "cool" and make people think that their rebel and awesome. Drinking alcohol is like our freedom and fun at our parties and if your a virgin your not said to be free or "cool". Its LIKE people don't care if your 16 and pregnant but if your 22 and a virgin everyone's in shock.
Back in our parents times if you did any of this people would be in shock and think what your doing is such a horrible thing or a crime; but to us its a normal thing.
In conclusion I believe that our society is at the WORST its been.
Thank you and good luck.
KhalifV

Con

My opponent didn't give a very thorough argument, probably because this is for introduction so I will refrain from giving a 10,000 character verbose ethical and moral lecture.

On The Resolution: In order to fulfill the BoP, pro must demonstrate that there has NEVER, in the entirety of US history, been a worse society.
Are There Societies In American History That Have Been Worse? YES!
Early-Mid 19th Century Southern Society: What is the zeitgeist of this society? Slavery. Now slavery is pretty bad. I maintain that nothing you pointed out is as bad as slavery.
Slavery:"Slavery is a system under which people are treated as property to be bought and sold, and are forced to work."
Now I'm not a big racial pride person, but I am an African American/Mexican. In this Early-Mid 19th century society, I would not have been a person, I would have been property. As we all know, American Slavery was especially harsh. I maintain that most Americans would rather live in our current society than one in which slavery was legal.(Also women were treated very poorly as well).

The Great Depression: Besides ruining many thousands of individual investors, this precipitous decline in the value of assets greatly strained banks and other financial institutions, particularly those holding stocks in their portfolios. Many banks were consequently forced into insolvency; by 1933, 11,000 of the United States' 25,000 banks had failed. 25-30% of the population was unemployed. Health was also abysmal.

I am interested in seeing how pro will support that the aforementioned, are better societies.

Good things about this society:
1. Tolerance: Contrary to what pro says, this is obviously the most tolerant America has ever been. Throughout history gays have been prosecuted terribly and even killed, now 60% of Americans are for giving gays equal rights. Racial integration is the highest they have ever been. Women are doing the best they have ever done in the workforce. Sex is not repressed.This society is big on equality and tolerance.

2. Technology: I hope I don't have to expand on this too much, but we are more technologically advanced than ever. Devices like iPhones and laptops, allow us to communicate easily and entertain us, as well as enabling and increasing efficiency.

3.Pharmacological tolerance: 58% of Americans are for marijuana legalization. This is wonderful. Two states have even legalized it. All this does is give us more freedom. Also pro contradicts herself in this regard. Throughout the vast majority of American history, most drugs, especially marijuana have been legal. Seeing that it's now illegal, I thought she'd like society in this regard. I think the fact that there is not a profound societal stigma against drugs and alcohol, is a good thing.So pro seems to have a problem with drugs and sex. I'd like for her to substantiate her belief that these things are immoral.

Sources: http://www.gallup.com...
http://www.english.illinois.edu...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

sahaam

Pro

sahaam forfeited this round.
sahaam

Pro

sahaam forfeited this round.
KhalifV

Con

opponent has foreited, vote con.
Posted by sahaam 2 years ago
sahaam
umm no. you cant just type in your points/introduction.
Good luck and thanks for choosing to debate with me :)
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
KhalifV
is 1st round for acceptance?
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
sahaamKhalifVTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by rings48 2 years ago
rings48
sahaamKhalifVTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. Con has a better argument presenting past social standards. Con also has sources.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
sahaamKhalifVTied