SuperRobotWars
TheParadox

P.C.'s Are Better Than Macs

Started: 9/7/2010 Category: Technology

SuperRobotWars

Pro

My argument is that P.C.'s are better than Macs.
Definitions:
Macs: computers manufactured by Apple Computers
P.C.'s: Computers not manufactured by Apple Computers
TheParadox

Con

I like to thank my opponent for instigating the debate. I will be playing the Devil's Advocate in the round.
I look forward to a good argument; the best of luck to both of us!

Definitions:
I accept both of the definitions which Pro has offered. I would just like to add one other definition that is critical to the round:
better (adj): More useful, suitable, or desirable; more advantageous or favorable
The burden in the round for both of us are simple: I - the Con - must show that Macs are more useful, desirable, advantageous and favorable than PCs, and the Pro must do vice versa.

Contention I - Macs are far superior in design and user-comfort.
It is undeniable that PCs fall far behind to Macs when it comes to design. It is highly attractive and pleasing to the eye, as well as your hands. Cosmetically, its simple, yet elegant and eye-catching design, is extolled by many, even PC owners. Mac's OS also features a beautiful design, with a cute, ergonomic dashboard at the bottom. Furthermore, Macs have a better "touch" to it. Let's take the Macbook Air for example. It is lightweight, thin and attractive without compromising quality or performance (a must for long trips, where you need to put your notebook on your laps). A PC laptop, when compared, feels clunky. Comfort is a key factor; and Macs obviously win in this aspect.

Contention II - The Mac's OS is much more intuitive and easy-to-use compared to PC computers.
Macs have better programs that PCs dream of having. For instance, GarageBand is a music-creator software that is unparalleled in functionality, as well as ease of use for novices. Logic Studio, a series of music-writing programs, is extremely intuitive and user-friendly. Macs also designed their computers so that processes are done faster (i.e. faster boot-ups/shutdowns, quick process-killing.) No more do you have to be frustrated over frequent errors of "This program has stopped responding --> Would you like to send a report to Microsoft (yet they never respond!)"

Contention III - Macs are less prone to be infected with viruses (malware, Trojan, rootkits, etc.) and harried by errors.
Since PCs are more common than Macs (since they were more widely advertised in the last decade or so), PCs are more likely to get viruses. Most of the viruses are "compatible" with PC computers only; there are few viruses floating around the Internet that are capable of attacking Macs. More immunity towards virus means less trips to a computer technician, which means $$$ saved. Macs also get errors. The thousands of vexing problems PCs face (the Blue Screen of Death comes to mind - it destructed my computer, and cost me $250 total to fix) destroy the user-friendliness which Macs proudly offer.

For these three reasons, I urge a ballot on the negation of the resolved. I shall eagerly anticipate my adversary's response/rebuttal. Thank you!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
http://apcmag.com...
http://www.helium.com...
http://lowendmac.com...
SuperRobotWars

Pro

My arguments against macs are that:

1 Macs do not support customization

2 Macs are behind in graphics

3 Macs are overpriced

4 Macs break easily

http://collegetimes.us...
http://wanderingstan.com...
http://www.metacafe.com...
TheParadox

Con

Thank you for continuing on this debate.

Since my opponent has failed to rebut or argue against any of my own contentions, I would like to extend all three, and in this round, all four are accepted to be veritable. To reinforce and reiterate them once more:
• Macs are superior in design and user-comfort.
• The OS ran by Mac computers is much more intuitive and easy-to-use when compared to PCs.
• Macs are less prone to be infected with viruses.

Now, my rebuttal:

• [O-C1] Macs do not support customization.
My adversary fails to elucidate or elaborate upon this point. I shall respond:
This is a fallacy. Macs have hundreds of options for customization, starting from desktop organization (users can tweak settings for dashboards, background wallpaper, brightness, folder option, etc.) to hardware configuration. In fact, Macs take pride in flexibility.

• [O-C2] Macs are behind in graphics.
I would like to quote directly:
"Generally, "Macs" are mentioned in the same sentence as "graphic design," and rightfully so for their excellent graphics and font capabilities..."

• [O-C3] Macs are overpriced.
Going back to my contentions: I have already clearly articulated that Macs are superior to PCs in multifarious ways. Therefore, calling a Mac "overpriced" because it is higher in price than PCs is illogical. Inferior products will, of course, be less expensive than superior products!
To add on: as I said in my third contention, PCs are much more prone to viruses compared to a Mac. One can save hundreds of dollars from taking their PCs to computer technicians. Hence, one can safely deduce that, in the long run, Macs will be more affordable than PCs.

• [O-C4] Macs break easily.
He provides no source of this, so we have no reason to concede it as true.

I look forward to my opponent's response. Thank you.

http://www.allgraphicdesign.com...
SuperRobotWars

Pro

To start Macs do not allow for easy hard ware customization Macs do not accept most forms of hardware components from other computer brands such as Toshibas, Dells, H.P.s, and I.B.M.s as well as when you install software from other corporations expect to pay around $50 and up for conversion software whereas P.C.s are easier in the aspect that they allow the use of hardware and software from any corporation without conversion software or incompatibility problems (the exception being trying to put a modern software or hardware system on something like the Altair 8800)

Macs use graphics systems which are generally outdated in comparison to those used in P.C.s but I should have been a little more specific. Macs have only recently introduced systems which P.C. has used for ages such as S.D. card slots and Macs also were behind on RAM and many other computer aspects that P.C. has been using for some time now.

Macs are overpriced as you can see in my previous arguments due to the lag in technological innovations that P.C. has had for years as wells their lack of software and hardware compatibility. In reality you are only paying for the Apple name.

Macs break easily due to their lack of durability and ability to take damage. I have owned Macs if you drop them just one centimeter they are broken completely. I work on computers and I know experts that work on computers we all agree that Macs are designed so that you have to pay their mainstream corporation for computer repairs because if you move one screw the entire machine breaks and make it a necessity to get a warranty and repair service on the machine you buy.

Ant to argue against your first three points beauty is in the eye of the beholder therefore design depends on a persons personal preference (one may think a I Pad is of a great design and another may think a I.B.M. Think Pad is of a greater design) as well as one idea of comfort (one person likes hard mattresses another person may like hard mattresses). And the intuitiveness and how easy something is t use depends on the individual (like how I prefer the Windows XP format to Linux Unbuntu). And to go against your virus argument is that exposure to viruses depends on how you use the computer and whether on not you have antivirus ware or not as well as the fact that viruses are designed by people to do what they do (crash computers and annoy the hell [pardon my language] out of their users) and since the majority of people in the world use P.C.s due to their affordability and efficiency (and its only natural that a virus designer would want it to irritate the most people) most viruses are designed for P.C.s.

And my final argument is that Macs are only designed for aesthetic appeal and not a high degree of functionality which is what our modern world needs more of (functionality not aesthetic appeal).

http://www.mac-sucks.com...
http://video.google.com...#
http://www.microsoft.com...
http://www.pcauthority.com.au...
http://ezinearticles.com...

Oh and I wold like to thank my opponent for this debate.
Vote Pro.
TheParadox

Con

A batch of thanks to my opponent for perpetuating the debate.

I would like to begin off Round 3 by mentioning that my opponent has failed to attack one of my most salient points: while the up-front price of a Mac is (on average) higher when compared to a PC, the latter outweigh the former in the long run, because PCs will require much more repairs than a Mac (and each trip to the computer mechanic is accompanied by a hefty price tag).

Now, to rebut his arguments and reinforce mine...

• My opponent claims that Macs do not accept most forms of hardware components from other computer brands. Yet, he provides absolutely no impact to as why this is even significant when determining a Mac's performance. One must ask the question, "why does Mac need components from other computers?" Since Mac and its products are monopolized by Apple, there are actually less confusions as to figuring out which systems/hardwares are compatible with your computer or not. This saves tremendous time AND saves you money.

• He claims that Macs fall behind in graphics (may I mention that he is not allowed to bring up new points in your final speech, so the point that PCs are superior in RAM and being the original founder of SD slots is null and void). There is two problems with this far-fetched claim. One: nowhere in his evidence does it explicitly state that Macs fall behind in graphics. It may be in my adversary's video, but anecdotal evidence should not be used (that is, we cannot confirm the guy's credibility nor expertise; he may be talking BS for all we know). Two: I already have evidence that Mac is extolled greatly for amazing graphics. Source: http://www.allgraphicdesign.com...

• Again, let's rule off my opponent's anecdotal evidence that a one-centimeter drop will completely wreck Macs (it is quite ludicrous, and he has no way to prove its verity). Nor does he provide evidence that a Macs are less durable than PCs. We have no reason to concede it as true. In the same sense, as I mentioned before, PCs break down easily because it is susceptible to hundreds of viruses and breakdowns.

• My opponent states: "...most viruses are designed for P.C.s." So he has automatically conceded my point that a PC is more vulnerable to viruses, and that it would lead to PCs being more expensive than a Mac in the long run due to the repairs needed.

• My opponent claims that Macs are designed merely for aesthetic appeal. Yet, I have provided various sources that affirm Mac's high performance that trumps PC's in many aspects. The assumption that something well-designed cosmetically is automatically inferior in performance is a logical fallacy.

I thank my opponent for this debate, as well as the voters. And for the following reasons, I urge a vote on the strong negative of the resolved. Thank you!
Posted by applesnack 3 years ago
applesnack
Check me out, commenting on a 2 month old debate.
Posted by applesnack 3 years ago
applesnack
I feel like the virus argument is getting misunderstood. PCs aren't more susceptible - windows is. A linux user has little fear of viruses, because of the lack of root access, the open-source nature, and quick updates unmatched by windows or mac; Also, the fact that the majority of computers are running windows makes it the best target, which explains why 99.4% of malware targets it (http://www.daniweb.com...).

Really the only difference between the two is hardware, apple exclusively picks the hardware of macs (http://en.wikipedia.org...)

Of course it's also a major hassle to flash a different OS onto a mac because of this, where as a PC can take any OS.

That in it of it's self should settle the debate - a PC can have almost all the advantages that con stated, as well as all the pros that the aff brought up.
Posted by TheParadox 4 years ago
TheParadox
That's how an adroit debater should sound like :]
Posted by Claudz 4 years ago
Claudz
Is it just me, or does CON sound like he/she is advertising?
Posted by carman16 4 years ago
carman16
No, apple treats their devs alot better compared to other third party companies.
Posted by stanford96 4 years ago
stanford96
It is unfortunate that Pro failed to elaborate his points in round 2...
Posted by mecap 4 years ago
mecap
Yah... I'm a PC user for various reasons, but mainly because I do a lot of programming and Macs simply lack in the richness of developer tools I get with PC software. With that said, I feel like PC-guy (like in the ads) got pwnd by Mac-guy. Poor arguments on Pro side, especially the second round, made me give 2 points to Con.
Posted by carman16 4 years ago
carman16
Pro copy pasted some text and had some fail arguments.
Posted by SuperRobotWars 4 years ago
SuperRobotWars
In one of my paragraphs I put hard mattresses twice instead of hard mattresses and soft mattresses.
Sorry.
Vote Pro.
Posted by SuperRobotWars 4 years ago
SuperRobotWars
Sorry about the typo.
I put ant instead of and in one of my recent arguments.
Vote Placed by iholland95 2 years ago
iholland95
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Macs are so much faster than PC's so suck it up Pro
Vote Placed by shadow835 3 years ago
shadow835
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Vote Placed by Zealotical 3 years ago
Zealotical
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Vote Placed by cjlopez213 3 years ago
cjlopez213
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Vote Placed by smileydma 4 years ago
smileydma
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Vote Placed by XStrikeX 4 years ago
XStrikeX
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 4 years ago
SuperRobotWars
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Vote Placed by pokemonboy102 4 years ago
pokemonboy102
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Vote Placed by stanford96 4 years ago
stanford96
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied
Vote Placed by mecap 4 years ago
mecap
SuperRobotWarsTheParadoxTied