P.E. mandatory in grades 10,11,12

Having physical education in high school is a great way to encourage youth to pursue a healthy and active lifestyle throughout their life. With PE, they will have to become active, and it is proven that exercise actually increases dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels in the brain: all chemicals that stimulate feel-good pleasure and calmness, or what we feel as "happiness". This is can last up to 12 hours, which is substantially longer than what happiness laziness can get you. In 2013, only 29% percent of high school students had participated in at least 60 minutes per day of physical activity on each of the 7 days before the survey.

I accept. Since my opponent has posted his arguements in the first round, I will do the same. Also, may I point out that since my opponent is the instigator and is making a positive claim, he has the full BoP; all I have to do is refute his points. Since my opponent has failed to establish the rules and semantics of this debate, as per the norm of this website, I will.

Physical Education (P.E): Instruction in physical exercise and games, especially in schools. [1]

Mandatory: Required
by law or rules; compulsory. [2]

Round 1: Acceptance/Arguments (done and done)
Round 2: Rebuttals/Conclusion

There is no true positive reason for making P.E mandatory for the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades in high school. If P.E was to be made mandatory for all grades (as it is already mandatory for 9th grade in the United States), it would interfere with students' other electives. There are already many required classes for high school students; high school students only have 1-2 electives that they can use for their Career Focus (which colleges, well, at least American colleges, look at to help determine if you are a good fit for certain programs that school provides). If P.E were to become mandatory, then students will no longer be able to meet the their Career Focus (unless, of course, their focus is on P.E).

While exercise does increase your health, and even though P.E does encourage a healthy and active life-style, students being forced to take it every year while in high school will undoubtedly become tired of the exact same curriculum being taught every year; it would become repetative, and students would come to despise the class and what it teaches, thus defeating the purpose of promoting a healthy and active lifestyle.

Oliviaben forfeited this round.
Posted by Canuckleball 1 year ago
I think athletes should get an exemption. Someone who is practicing a sport for two or more hours after school shouldn't have to spend another hour in class exercising. I really like the idea that every student should get AT LEAST 60 minutes of exercise per day, but only for students not getting their daily physical activity from another source (football team, dance team, weightlifting club, etc). Giving students choice in how they get their exercise would make this program to go over better.

Also, I think that mandatory P.E. need not interfere with the number of electives a student takes, it wouldn't be difficult to re-arrange the daily schedule to accommodate either one hour long block of exercise or several shorter ones (think 15 minute recess in elementary school).
Posted by Magic11 1 year ago
in grades 10-12, students can choose what they want to do during the school year. If they truley dont need to have gym, they should know best. P.E. shouldnt be nececary.
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Pro forfeited their last round in the debate, which is hardly acceptable conduct in any debate setting. | Arguments: All of Pro's arguments were bare assertions, while Con's arguments were proper refutations. As Pro failed to fulfill their full BOP, Con gains arguments. | Sources: Con used the only citations and cited references in the debate, which were those of dictionaries to provide definitions. Therefore, 6 points to Con. | As always, happy to clarify this RFD.