EdgeOfTheInfinite
Outmastered

PC gaming is better than console gaming

Started: 1/22/2017 Category: Games

EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

The first round is acceptance. The second, third and fourth are arguments and rebuttals. The last round are for rebuttals and closing statements ONLY. No new arguments.
Outmastered

Con

For first round I will mention my first point. I wish the opposition the best of luck.

Console gaming is by far the most popular way of gaming in this day and age. It has many aspects that make it easy to use and an ideal buy and I'm going to start with the flexibility of it. A console can go on YouTube, bbc I player and various other apps and surf the Internet. One might be thinking, but hey a PC can do that too can't it? And yes it can, but for every game that comes out daily, your PC ages and grows older. How? Well, as we all know technology is always growing, and games are always looking to get the best graphics possible. This means the better graphics a game gets, the higher specs your PC needs in order to run it. Now you are probably thinking, is this guy mad just upgrade your PC. Well, graphics cards come out on a regular basis and are extremely expensive. I buy a graphics card now, in two years that graphics card can only run the oldest of games and is considered trash. So a PC is expensive to have for gaming in the long run. A console however, is built in such a unique way it can run essentially any game, yet it is so much cheaper than a custom gaming PC that goes to the price tag of 2K+$. The PS3 and Xbox360 can still even now run the newest of games without any trouble.

Thanks for listening. In the second round I will be clashing the opposition's points and be talking about the more gamer's perspective of both sides.
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

Rebuttals:
"Console gaming is by far the most popular way of gaming in this day and age."
But that's where you're wrong. Combined PS4 and Xbox sales is about 60,000,000, but steam, the most popular PC gaming software, has about 125,000,000 active users. So console gaming isn't more popular.

"PC ages and grows older."
I currently have a 500 dollar 2 year old Toshiba Satellite C50-A that has about 4 gigs of ram and 1.91 ghz. I can run Life is Strange, Tomb Raider, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Smite and Skyrim on high graphics without a hitch. You don't need to update your graphics card every day. That's a choice by people who like to run their stuff on Ultra (which you can't do on a console).

Arguments:
PC gaming is a lot more cost effective.
When you get let's say an Xbox One not only do you have to pay for the price of the console, but you also have to pay for the online features plus ridiculous price of games. Using steam as an example again there is no extra cost the only things you pay for are the games. The price difference between games is also unreal. If you wait for a Steam sale which is 4 times a year or you catch a mid-week or weekend sale you're likely to get your game for under 10 dollars. I payed 6 dollars for Skyrim and 8 dollars for Mass Effect 1 and 2 together during midweek sales. Even during big sales like Black Friday I only saw Skyrim only dip a little in price with a usual cost of 60 dollars.

PC gaming has a lot more variety.
A lot of console gamers bring up exclusives during any argument about PC vs Console, but the fact is we have exclusives too. World of Warcraft, League of Legends, DOTA, Smite, Undertale, Team Fortress, Firewatch, and most indie games. With things like Steam Greenlight it enables so many indies devs to create games without having ins with Microsoft or Sony meaning a lot of indie games i.e. Undertale that become really famous originate from PC. Thus we have a lot more stuff. Whereas with consoles you go to the store and you just see a bunch of mainstream stuff you've already played before and a new title here and there with Steam you have millions of things to choose from 1. 274 billion to be exact. You will never not have a game to play.

Console Exclusives
Basically the above argument cont. The fact is if you're involved in the console wars or don't have the money to put in 900+ dollars for consoles you only have the games from your specific console. This means when they're are exclusives on the other parties side you miss out. Whereas with Origin(EA), PSN and the Xbox app in Win 10 (and PirateBay if you're down). You can play games from all mediums with only one device. No limits.
Outmastered

Con

So you think PC gaming is more popular?Is that why every day when I go to school, all I can hear about are consoles and console gaming? Is that why there are only a few in my year who actually PC game? Furthermore, most youtubers play games on consoles, which shows they have a like towards console gaming. Also, most professional gaming is done on console, e.g Cod, with PC only having Dota, LoL and Csgo as its mainstream professionally played games.

Yes I have a two year old PC which was good for its time, now I hear i can't run any decent game as my graphics card is too low, if I had a console I wouldn't have this problem as it would last me quite a long time.

"PC gaming is a lot more cost effective"
No not really. You buy a console, you buy games for it, and you can leave it at that. Playing online is your choice, and has the requirement that you have to pay for it. With PC, you have to pay to upgrade parts to make sure you can run new games, making it a big hassle.

You seem to like to overdramatise things by claiming how console gaming costs 900$. That's you deciding to make it sound so extreme when the reality is that it's a lot more cheaper than PC gaming. My graphics card is currently considered outdated and apparently it'll cost me 200$ to get a decent one. Hey 200$? I can get a used good condition console with that can't I.

Console gaming also way more comfortable. You get the luxury of being on your sofa, and on a TV making the gaming way more real and exciting than PC which is limited. And don't go telling me you can get screens next to eachover for PCs because then you might as well go bankrupt.

The point goes is that console is cheaper, more exciting, more comfortable. You also have a higher chance that your friends play on the console too than on the PC. Even more, everyone famous on YouTube mainly console games, for the reason it's just so much better and has a better feeling, from the controller to the controls itself.

I hope the opposition can stop focusing on the money aspect of both aspects, as if you check your sources right and use a bit of logic, PC gaming can be much more expensive
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

Rebuttals:
"Is that why every day when I go to school, all I can hear about are consoles and console gaming?"
Here's a tidbit about gaming culture. A lot of people who play on console (A lot not all) are casuals. Meaning they're playing games like COD, Fifa, Madden, NBA 2k16 etc. Again not all console gamers are casuals, but most casuals are console gamers. Especially if you hear some of the more popular kids talking about it because there's still a stigma around gaming that isn't just casual.

"Is that why there are only a few in my year who actually PC game? "
And there are likely more, but not everyone boasts about it. I play PC I don't go shouting it through the hallways. We actually have a gaming club at my school and most of the people there are PC gamers, but then again yours and my school doesn't represent the entire population and it doesn't change the fact that most gamers are actually older. Females usually 44 years old and Males 35 years old.

"Yes I have a two year old PC which was good for its time, now I hear i can't run any decent game as my graphics card is too low, if I had a console I wouldn't have this problem as it would last me quite a long time."
You heard wrong. I was also told I couldn't play all the games I'm playing right now. My settings are way below the minimum requirements yet I still play all of them with no lag and if you really can't play a game than you can just return it with Steam. I have never had a problem returning a game I didn't like.

"With PC, you have to pay to upgrade parts"
Again no you don't. We already discussed this.

"console gaming costs 900$."
You must have read that wrong or I phrased that wrong I'm talking about if you got both a Playstation AND an Xbox. I know very well the cost of one.

"Hey 200$? I can get a used good condition console with that can't I."
And for a bit more than 200 dollars you can make a PC for scratch much longer than that used console will last you and way after it's irrelevant.

"You get the luxury of being on your sofa, and on a TV making the gaming way more real and exciting than PC which is limited."
A love seat can probably set you back about 400 dollars and a full sized couch 500 from Ikea. You can get a nice comfy office chair for 90 dollars on Amazon. I also have a plastic chair that's about 30 dollars from Ikea that's really comfortable. Plus it swivels can't do that on your couch. If you have a laptop that you game on you can play on your bed. If it's not an intense game that is, not even console gamers can do that.

"way more real and exciting"
I didn't want to bring this up because it was cliche and what not, but PC does have better graphics. It really does. When I'm looking at a walkthrough and see someone playing on a console I am literally appalled by the quality of the game. I love my details and shadows.

"And don't go telling me you can get screens next to eachover for PCs because then you might as well go bankrupt."
You can actually use your TV as a monitor. I don't. I have no problem gaming on my laptop, it hurts my eyes and neck a lot less than when I used to game on a console, but if you want a big monitor you can just use your TV if you wish.

"Even more, everyone famous on YouTube mainly console games"
I'm just gonna skim the YouTubes and tell you all of the PC gamers I find.
Rags, Pewdiepie, The Teens React team, Most Minecraft Youtubers, CoryxKenshin, All Roblox Youtubers, Markiplier, FGTeeV, Jackspticeye, PopularMMOs and all Mod YouTubers. That's only a few from the first few videos on YouTube Gaming. If they're in a chair with headphones they're console gaming. The only console gamer I saw was GTlive.

"if you check your sources right and use a bit of logic, PC gaming can be much more expensive"
I actually did check all my sources and did come to the conclusion that PC gaming is cheaper in the long run. All my statements have been backed up by facts. A simple google search will prove that to you. And not all my comments were about money. You failed to disprove that we have more options with games and access to exclusives. The cost was only one argument.

New Arguments:
More options for providers
A commenter brought up a good point. The fact that we have a lot more options when it comes to our providers. Computer wise we have countless options when it comes to companies: Dell, HP, Toshiba, Mac(I can't even say that with a straight face), Acer, Alienware, Ironhide, Vaio, Compaq. The list goes on. In terms of video game suppliers and hosts we have Steam, Origin, Amazon, GameAccess, Battle.net, Xbox on windows 10, PSN, Gamefly, Direct2Drive, Gamersgate, Gog, Itch.io, Greenman gaming and countless others. Fact is you have a lot more choice on PC. If you don't like one company go to another if this one company doesn't have a game you want you have dozens more possibilities. It's a lot better than "Man I want to get Halo, but I have a Playstation and don't want to fork over another 400 dollars for an Xbox."

A Developer of the game Crysis LITERALLY said Consoles are holding gaming back
"As long as the current console generation exists and as long as we keep pushing the PC as well, the more difficult it will be to really get the benefit of both", Crytek boss Cervat Yerli tells Edge magazine. "[The] PC is easily a generation ahead right now. With 360 and PS3, we believe the quality of the games beyond Crysis 2 and other CryEngine developments will be pretty much limited to what their creative expressions is, what the content is. You won't be able to squeeze more juice from these rocks." That is a direct quote. I am not delusional (not implying you said I was). PCs are clearly superior to consoles that a developer literally wants to just stop with consoles and just completely switch the platform. I say it's time.
Full Article: http://kotaku.com...
Outmastered

Con

Rebuttal: "My settings are way below the minimum requirements yet I still play all of them with no lag"
So you will be willing to go through all that de-graphitising, to play a game which now has no quality to it. With console you don't have this annoyance, you buy a game and you can play it, there is no worry about whether or not you can run it.

"talking about if you got both a Playstation AND an Xbox"
Who the hell gets two consoles if they are on a budget? If you are going to use silly examples like this and then manipulate it , I'm going to say PCs cost 2000$ alone, one for casual, and one for gaming. It doesn't work does it? So stop using snidy examples like that.

"And for a bit more than 200 dollars you can make a PC for scratch much longer than that used console will last you and way after it's irrelevant."
I'm a bit speechless, how on earth can you make a PC with 200$ and expect it to run decent stuff? Yes maybe it will run csgo on the lowest graphics possible, just maybe. With a used console you can run the best of games no trouble with lag or whatnot.

You then rant on about how apparently you will have to buy furniture to sit on for 500$. By sofa, I think you and I both know I mean things we sit on daily and use on a daily basis. I'm sure my parents didn't buy a sofa just to game on, they bought it to relax and be a part of their normal living room.

You also claim there are more options with PC. This is overwhelming however, when you buy a console, you know it will work on any game, new or old. You don't know this for PC however, so people underpay and get a trashy PC that doesn't work on many games, or they really overpay just to make sure they get a PC that can run stuff.

I'm going to leave this and this, as I believe a lot of my points have been merged with my rebuttle.
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

I can't even have a formal argument anymore. Screw it.

Did you even read half of what said? I said and I quote "Basically the above argument cont. The fact is if you're involved in the console wars or don't have the money to put in 900+ dollars for consoles you only have the games from your specific console. This means when they're are exclusives on the other parties side you miss out. Whereas with Origin(EA), PSN and the Xbox app in Win 10 (and PirateBay if you're down). You can play games from all mediums with only one device. No limits." Meaning that you can get exclusives from both platforms without having to get both. Read my argument. I spend over an hour making them. For what purpose I don't know. To squabble with an illiterate five year old perhaps.

I can run games. https://postimg.org... This from tomb raider. No it is not a jumbled mass of pixels because PC.

Yes 300 dollars I said a little over 200.
This is 300
http://www.toptengamer.com...
This is 200
http://www.toptengamer.com...

"Well that's not including the keyboard and mouse." You shout at the computer te current gaming mouse have right noew cost me 12 dollars on amazon. Is oing into it's 2nd year going on strong.
https://www.amazon.ca...
Here is a 12 dollar keyboard because you don't need a beastly keyboard to play games. You can get these cheaper used.

Most people already have office chairs as well which are comfortable. Don't use a kitchen chair. I can sit in my chair for hours and be fine. I like how that when I make a statement. I'm "ranting" when you do the same it's just good debating skills.

Do you even Steam? Most of the non AAA games I can run. Even half of the AAA games I can run so far I have never had a problem. You act like every game is GTA 5. If you have ever used a computer you would know that is not the case.

I can't even with you anymore. Exams are coming I'm already stressed why did I think it was a good idea to paricipate in a debate with a console peasant who fails to rebutt any of my good points and when he does he seems to fall short of anything noteworthy.

At this point I'm done. Vote for con, report me, delete my account I'm done.

P.S. I said first round is for acceptance yet you put your argument there. Another example of how you fail to understand simple English.

I'm actually curious to see how you respond but chances are I'm gonna forfeit the next few rounds.

VOTE FOR CON HE'S AN IDIOT
Outmastered

Con

As a person who PC games, I have a lot of experience with gaming PCs and steam. Yes I play on steam on a regular basis. At the moment you are being really immature and childish, your points are really repetitive but still incorrect and now you've decided to call me an "idiot" , insulted my English, when I happen to be top of my class for nearly all subjects (including English), I'm in the middle of exams and you don't see me turning into some angry King Kong. You call me console peasant but that's the immature behaviour that starts these silly arguments, I used to own a console and that was 5 years ago, I only have a PC steam. I never said anything about PC being uncomfortable I simply stated that being on a sofa is evidently more comforTable.

Again you claim it takes 900$ to buy a console which is absolutely wrong, PS3 used would cost 100$ probably, and ps4 would cost 300. If you buy a whole bunch of games with it we may be pushing the 500 mark but nowhere near going towards 900$. And your comment about "both platforms" was already said before so you are essentially copying and pasting useless points. Also I nearly forgot to mention, please use full grammar and correctly written vocab, I'm starting to find it difficult to read half the stuff your saying, and you happen to insult my English...tut tut that's hypocritical good sir.

Overall, I'm keeping my cool even though the opposition is being extremely rude and immature. I'm meant to be a 14 year old teenager and I happen to have more maturity than them. Even with all the ranting the opposition is doing, I'm still making sure to keep my cool and provide valid and logical points unlike him/her.

I hope you do forfeit the next rounds as I find your attitude appalling. :)
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

Rebuttals:
"your points are really repetitive"
My points are repetitive because your points are repetitive. I'm here rebutting your same three points over and over again.
"nearly all subjects (including English)"
Same here.
"console peasant but that's the immature behaviour that starts these silly arguments, I used to own a console and that was 5 years ago, I only have a PC steam. "
That was an assumption because that's what any person with a brain would think considering you accepted a debate in which you were defending console over PC. I am actually appalled you said this because the way you argue it seems you haven't even looked at a computer before.
"PC being uncomfortable I simply stated that being on a sofa is evidently more comforTable."
That is the first time you actually said anything that I can legitimately cannot rebut. Slow clap.
"you claim it takes 900$ to buy a console which is absolutely wrong, PS3 used would cost 100$ probably, and ps4 would cost 300."
All of my statements are if you are going to buy or make it brand new not with used items. Also I am using PS4 and Xbox one in my arguments. I saw a website which said an Xbox One was 500 and a PS4 was 400 it was from three years ago sorry about that. Currently according to Walmart.ca you can get an Xbox one for 319.96 and a PS4 for 499.96 added up equals 819.92 which can be rounded off to 800 dollars so I'm about 100 off, but that is still significantly more than if you were to build a gaming PC that can run GTA 5 for roughly $500.
http://www.forbes.com...
In which you can play PS4 games and Xbox games without having to buy both. And I just got The Last of us on PC which proves that yes you can do that. If you can't find it on the Xbox app or PSN that's where Utorrent comes in.
"I'm starting to find it difficult to read half the stuff your saying, and you happen to insult my English...tut tut that's hypocritical good sir."
I thought you were going to say that. My spell check is going off with basically most of your quotes. In that argument I made before I didn't double check didn't even glance over it. I was seeing red, what do you expect? All my other arguments I personally apologize if you see errors in there because I actually double check those.
"I'm meant to be a 14 year old teenager and I happen to have more maturity than them."
I'm actually not too far off from you. I actually am normally mature far more than my age, but I can't control anger issues sorry.

I also love how you missed all my other points, but if you're willing I'd love a rematch. I have so many points I didn't address and I promise to keep my cool this time. It'd also give you a chance to prove me wrong in anything.

No new arguments in the next round please. Just rebuttals.
Outmastered

Con

Oh how amusing , you didn't forfeit.

Rebuttals:

Your assumption point is extremely far fetched because your assuming way too much. This a site where people accept debates of all sorts whether they may agree with it or not.

"That is the first time you actually said anything that I can legitimately cannot rebut. Slow clap."
You have nothing to say but you attempt to merge with some sarcasm just so it doesn't go down too hard on your end, nice try.

Your argument about how Xbox and ps4 are counted as one is extremely dumb. Unless your rich or you have a legitimate reason, you only buy one console, either Ps or Xbox. That yet again, is like me saying I have to pay 2000$ on PCs, 1500$ for my gaming PC and 500$ for my Casual PC, it's not logical and it doesn't work right? So your idea of merging Xbox and ps into one and claiming its 900$ is manipulating the whole idea of purchasing a console because NO ONE BUYS TWO CONSOLES unless they have a proper reason. Damn, most youtubers even don't have two consoles. Never once in your opening debate did you mention anything about not talking about 'used' items so therefore I can and will use the point of used consoles. And you keep bringing on the prices of Xbox one and ps4 not the Xbox 360 or ps4 which is evidently because you want to boast about how apparently expensive console gaming is. If you just want to use the prices of the most newest and expensive consoles, fine I'll do it too. Fun fact: If you want to buy a PC with the newest parts it will cost you 3000$.

The rest of your rebuttals are off topic so I won't bother wasting my time on those. Ladies and gentleman, I thank you for listening to my first debate. I would also thank the opposition, but they got salty so I won't congratulate him/her.

Many thanks and vote con
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
I was trying to level the playing field by the way. I was talking about PCs that yo could build that could run the newer games like you mentioned and consoles that could do the same.
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
Outmastered, my original argument was that unless take not of the word unless, you were to buy two consoles and pay 900 (now 800) dollars for both than it is more efficient to get a PC because you can play exclusives from both without having to fish out the money to buy two consoles.
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
Jo, the reason the prices change is because there is no set price limit for PC,

I'll concede that at first PC gaming is more expensive, however over time the cost will even out, and fall into PC's favor.
The reason for this is simply because PC games are rarely ever purchased as a hard copy and the vast majority of PC games are digital. Consoles are attempting to try that now, and so far it's been working for them.

I hope that we can have a console that doesn't cap at 60fps and 1080p, so that the PC and Consoles can actually have a competition.

My big personal pet peeve when it comes to consoles is the lack of customization, you can't switch a part or two out to make your console run faster, everything is controlled and dictated to you when you are a console gamer. Speaking of which,

Indie developers know it's far more expensive to develop games for the Xbox? why? Because the Xbox is such a controlled environment, everything that is placed on the Xbox Store is controlled by microsoft. Once you publish a game on a console you have little to no control over it compared to Steam.
Steam allows developers to have much more freedom and control over their own products on their service.

Also about pricing of games... Ever seen a steam sale?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...

Steam offers so many services compared to consoles, and the best part is... It's free.

On consoles you need to pay $60 a year to use your own internet.
PS3 did fine without needing to charge it's users to play online.

http://i.imgur.com...
Posted by Outmastered 1 year ago
Outmastered
Pro has anger management issues.
Posted by jo154676 1 year ago
jo154676
A gaming pc is most certainly a luxury item. We are not talking about a laptop to write papers we are talking about computers made just for gaming. BTW Cody the prices keep going up it started at 200, then 300, now 500.

That article never defined "active users" I have a steam account but I havent been on in 3-4 years, they could consider me active if they define active as "played in the last 5 years" which they could do as they never specify. (A list of the highest selling consoles, some are higher than steam) (https://en.wikipedia.org...)

Ill have my brother critique this "console masher" for $500, but as it is a console is 200-250, a lot cheaper when you can find them on sale. Black Friday was a killing for me this year I got battlefield 1 gta V and 2 other games for $25-27 each.
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
A PC is not a luxury item. Try having a job or succeeding in school without one. A console is a luxury item.
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
Actually, Steam has 125M active users,
https://www.vg247.com...
Posted by Hawkecrail 1 year ago
Hawkecrail
I believe you forget to mention That a lot of steams userbase is not active. also, not everyone plays on the newest gen consoles
Posted by Hawkecrail 1 year ago
Hawkecrail
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
Hey jo,

People aren't stupid, most people know how to operate a computer, here's a desktop icon *double click* you're playing, on most modern computers 60FPS+ 1080p+

I have a six year old computer and I'm playing verdun, hearts of iron iv (VERY TIRING GAME) Europa universalis IV, and all those random SW games.