bossyburrito
BigSky

PC gaming is, on balance, better than console gaming.

BigSky
Started: 2/18/2013 Category: Technology

bossyburrito

Pro

Pro will argue that PC gaming is better, on balance, than console gaming.

PC gaming will be defined as the following: "PC games, also known as computer games, are video games played on a general-purpose personal computer rather than a dedicated video game console or arcade machine." {1}

Consoles are defined as the following: "A video game console is an interactive entertainment computer or customized computer system that produces a video display signal which can be used with a display device (a television, monitor, etc.) to display a video game. The term "video game console" is used to distinguish a machine designed for people to buy and use primarily for playing video games on a TV." {2}

Console gaming will therefore be defined as gaming on a console.

First round is for acceptance
Second round is for opening arguments from both debators.
Third round is for rebuttals.
Fourth round is for further rebuttals and closing. No new arguments will be presented in this round.
{1}http://en.wikipedia.org...
{2}http://en.wikipedia.org...
BigSky

Con

Sure why not. I think the burden of proof is shared, you have to prove why the PC is better for gaming, and I'll do the same for the console. I'll be using the Nintendo 64, the X-Box 360, and the Wii.
bossyburrito

Pro

Graphical fidelity and computational power
A high-end gaming computer is able to handle more than a current-gen console. This is mainly due to two things: price and age. Consoles such as the XBox 360 have relatively low prices and as such have to compromise on power. They are also using very old hardware, with the XBox 360 being released in 2005 and the PlayStation 3 being released in 2006.
As shown in the videos{1}, the quality of graphics on the PC are better than on the XBox 360. Adding on to this, many console games run first-person games with a lower field of view. This can cause motion sickness in some people. This video{2} shows a comparison between different FOV values. Most console games also only run at a resolution of 720P, which is then upscaled to 1080P. Consoles also usually run at lower frame rates than PC's, which mean that they deliver choppier gameplay.

PC's also have the option to upgrade hardware, while consoles do not.

Modding capability

Games such as Skyrim are able to be modded easilly, while the same game on the console cannot without a modified console. This increases the lifespan of a game, increasing value for money.

Choice of games

The PC has a wide choice of games, as many games are multi-platform releases. With that, the PC also has many exclusive games such as MMO's like World of Warcraft, Tera Online, Eve Online, and Guild Wars 2. MOBA games are also fairly exclusive to PC's, such as League of Legends and DOTA 2. Also, many small indie titles are PC exclusive.

{1} http://www.youtube.com...
{2} www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G7wKzDoUMY

BigSky

Con

Thanks to my opponent for creating this debate.
I will refrain from rebutting my opponent"s arguments until the next round, and start by listing reasons as to why the console is superior to the PC.

1)Consoles have turned out better and more successful games than the PC.
When one mentions the Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64, almost everyone knows what you"re talking about. Why? Because the Ocarina of Time was the best game ever made. It came on a console, not a PC. And even though a PC can play it today, it was ultimately the console that brought it forth in its E-Rated glory.
Ocarina of Time has had the most sales in the Zelda genre at 7.6 million, and has received a 99/100 on Metacritic, and 10/10 on IGN. It has been named a masterpiece and the greatest game of all time. I have yet to hear that honor given to World of Warcraft.
http://www.zeldawiki.org...
http://www.ign.com...

2)Television
Honestly, who wants to play on a little computer in a dimly lit room in an uncomfortable chair when you could be playing in front of a nice 60 inch plasma screen TV in a nice comfy chair?

3)Keyboards or Controllers?
I"m going to leave this one up to the voters but personally I would rather be holding my nice fat X-Box controller than playing on a keyboard and a mouse.

4)The Console is Just Easier to Use
Here are a few situations that make me hate the PC. When I first bought The Battle for Middle Earth2 back in 2008, I may have been the most excited person on the face of the earth. Turns out I needed to upgrade my graphics card, so I said "Fine." Did that, started up the game played for like an hour and then my computer just straight up crashes. Did some research and found out my computer couldn"t stay cool enough to play while crashing. A year later I bought a $3,000 XPS laptop to try and play the game again. It worked for a month before freezing up. Here is an example of the same type of situation, except with an X-Box 360. Bought Halo 3, I was giddy as a school girl, and just enjoyed it. No crashes, no failures, just straight up fun. There is no getting around it, PCs aren"t better until you"ve paid $3,000 plus dollars for them, and then spend 5 hours on the Microsoft help page trying to figure out what the problem is, and there is always a problem.

5)The graphics are better on the PC, but wait until the PS4 and X-Box 720 come out.

6)Japan!
Nintendo just destroys the PC on everything, and the great part is, the GRAPHICS DON"T MATTER!!! The Wii has the most sales of any console ever, and its graphics don"t even compare to the PC. This is because one, its family friendly, and two, the PC doesn"t have Wii bowling.
http://www.vgchartz.com...

Thanks again to my opponent for making the debate, I anxiously await his response.
bossyburrito

Pro

"When one mentions the Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64, almost everyone knows what you"re talking about. Why? Because the Ocarina of Time was the best game ever made. It came on a console, not a PC. And even though a PC can play it today, it was ultimately the console that brought it forth in its E-Rated glory. Ocarina of Time has had the most sales in the Zelda genre at 7.6 million, and has received a 99/100 on Metacritic, and 10/10 on IGN. It has been named a masterpiece and the greatest game of all time. I have yet to hear that honor given to World of Warcraft."

Since OoT can be played on a PC, owning a console to play it is not better than owning a PC.
Also, just because the game was made for consoles originally does not mean that the console itself is better. Since it can be emulated, this point is invalid.

"Honestly, who wants to play on a little computer in a dimly lit room in an uncomfortable chair when you could be playing in front of a nice 60 inch plasma screen TV in a nice comfy chair?"
You could use an HDMI cable and a wired 360 controller to play PC games on a TV.

"I"m going to leave this one up to the voters but personally I would rather be holding my nice fat X-Box controller than playing on a keyboard and a mouse."

Again, you can plug in any number of peripherals that you want on a PC.

"When I first bought The Battle for Middle Earth2 back in 2008, I may have been the most excited person on the face of the earth. Turns out I needed to upgrade my graphics card, so I said "Fine." Did that, started up the game played for like an hour and then my computer just straight up crashes. Did some research and found out my computer couldn"t stay cool enough to play while crashing. A year later I bought a $3,000 XPS laptop to try and play the game again. It worked for a month before freezing up. Here is an example of the same type of situation, except with an X-Box 360. Bought Halo 3, I was giddy as a school girl, and just enjoyed it. No crashes, no failures, just straight up fun. There is no getting around it, PCs aren"t better until you"ve paid $3,000 plus dollars for them, and then spend 5 hours on the Microsoft help page trying to figure out what the problem is, and there is always a problem."

The question here is is the greater control you have over a PC worth the trouble that can bring? I say yes. Also, consoles can be afflicted by any number of problems. For example, two of my XBox 360's got an error related to overheating and died.

"The graphics are better on the PC, but wait until the PS4 and X-Box 720 come out."

The power of a 400 dollar machine can't possibly match that of a 2000 dollar gaming rig. Sure, they'll help close the gap, but they won't be able to surpass PC's. Also, since PC's are constantly updated, the gap will have a lot of time to widen. After all, look at the current console generation: it's been going on for about eight years!

"Nintendo just destroys the PC on everything, and the great part is, the GRAPHICS DON"T MATTER!!! The Wii has the most sales of any console ever, and its graphics don"t even compare to the PC. This is because one, its family friendly, and two, the PC doesn"t have Wii bowling."

PC's have family friendly games as well. I concede your last point, as PC's do not in fact have Wii Bowling.
BigSky

Con

Thank you for the response.

“Also, just because the game was made for consoles originally does not mean that the console itself is better. Since it can be emulated, this point is invalid.”

That is quite opinion based, if you contribute a system’s games to how good the system is, then you can make an argument that the N64 was superior because of its revolutionary games.

In fact my opponent did make this very same argument when he said earlier:

“The PC has a wide choice of games, as many games are multi-platform releases. With that, the PC also has many exclusive games such as MMO's like World of Warcraft, Tera Online, Eve Online, and Guild Wars 2. MOBA games are also fairly exclusive to PC's, such as League of Legends and DOTA 2. Also, many small indie titles are PC exclusive. “

My opponent makes the point that small indie titles made for the PC are exclusive, and why else would have put that on the debate if he hadn’t meant that the PC was better because of the games it produces. My point was not that the OOT was better on the N64, just that the N64 (a console) has produced better games then the PC does. Playing a N64 game on an emulator is great, but you surely can’t make the case that this makes the PC better. Without the console, that game never would have existed.

“You could use an HDMI cable and a wired 360 controller to play PC games on a TV.”

Yes, you could. But a big factor in this debate is how the console entertains better then the PC, and convenience is a big factor of entertainment. While there are people who can set that up easily with an HDMI, there are more people who couldn’t figure it out. It’s sad, but true, consoles are more people friendly.

“Again, you can plug in any number of peripherals that you want on a PC.”

Again, which is more convenient, going to the trouble to figure out how to hook that stuff up, or just buying a console and sticking the cords into their designated slots? It’s so much easier.

"The power of a 400 dollar machine can't possibly match that of a 2000 dollar gaming rig. Sure, they'll help close the gap, but they won't be able to surpass PC's. Also, since PC's are constantly updated, the gap will have a lot of time to widen. After all, look at the current console generation: it's been going on for about eight years!”

This is when we ask ourselves a question. Do we want a $400 dollar piece of equipment that is very affordable, easy to use, and arguably just as fun. Or a $2,000 dollar piece of equipment that has slightly better graphics, is more complicated, and has a history of more technical problems than a console?"

"The question here is is the greater control you have over a PC worth the trouble that can bring? I say yes. Also, consoles can be afflicted by any number of problems. For example, two of my XBox 360's got an error related to overheating and died.”

X-Box’s are known for overheating, but as time went on, Microsoft came out with the touch sensor x-box’s that are much more cooperative, and hardly ever overheat. Whereas a PC may be advanced, but as soon as you push it to its limits they are prone to overheating, crashing, etc.

“PC's have family friendly games as well. I concede your last point, as PC's do not in fact have Wii Bowling.”

Exactly, PC’s aren’t advancing and developing new technologies that consoles are. With Wii motion plus, Kinect, and whatever you call it for PS3, the systems are finding new ways to entertain. You can even exercise with videogames. Higher graphics on the PC just aren’t anything special.

bossyburrito

Pro

"My opponent makes the point that small indie titles made for the PC are exclusive, and why else would have put that on the debate if he hadn’t meant that the PC was better because of the games it produces. My point was not that the OOT was better on the N64, just that the N64 (a console) has produced better games then the PC does. Playing a N64 game on an emulator is great, but you surely can’t make the case that this makes the PC better. Without the console, that game never would have existed."

If you could not play the games on a PC your point would be valid. However, just because the game was produced for N64 does not matter if a PC can play that same game. It does not make the PC better, it makes it equal.

"Yes, you could. But a big factor in this debate is how the console entertains better then the PC, and convenience is a big factor of entertainment. While there are people who can set that up easily with an HDMI, there are more people who couldn’t figure it out. It’s sad, but true, consoles are more people friendly. "

You literally just have to plug it in to the PC and then to the TV...

"Again, which is more convenient, going to the trouble to figure out how to hook that stuff up, or just buying a console and sticking the cords into their designated slots? It’s so much easier."

You do the same on a PC. Just plug in a controller and you're good to go. Even if you have to download a few drivers, this process is relatively simple and straightforward.

"This is when we ask ourselves a question. Do we want a $400 dollar piece of equipment that is very affordable, easy to use, and arguably just as fun. Or a $2,000 dollar piece of equipment that has slightly better graphics, is more complicated, and has a history of more technical problems than a console?"

The $2000 dollar piece of kit. For one thing, it can output much better graphics and do things like support more objects on screen at a time. Also, a PC really isn't that hard to figure out. If you can't, ask someone on a tech forum for help.
As for the technical problems, if one part fails you can replace it without replacing the whole rig. If it is a software problem, you can easily have someone who knows what they are doing help you fix it.

"X-Box’s are known for overheating, but as time went on, Microsoft came out with the touch sensor x-box’s that are much more cooperative, and hardly ever overheat. Whereas a PC may be advanced, but as soon as you push it to its limits they are prone to overheating, crashing, etc."

I concede the overheating point.

You have to know the limits of your PC and build it accordingly. You can't expect an overclocked rig to be able to be cooled by one small fan. Most of the time, problems like these are the fault of the consumers not knowing what they are doing.

"Exactly, PC’s aren’t advancing and developing new technologies that consoles are. With Wii motion plus, Kinect, and whatever you call it for PS3, the systems are finding new ways to entertain. You can even exercise with videogames. Higher graphics on the PC just aren’t anything special."

Sure they are. They constantly update hardware and the base of programmers making new software is enormous.

I would dare to say that things like Kinect are gimmicks that aren't of real value (at least not yet). However, things like the Razer Hydra are able to fill that void on the PC market.

That was a fun debate. Thanks for reading!
BigSky

Con

“If you could not play the games on a PC your point
would be valid. However, just because the game was produced for N64 does not
matter if a PC can play that same game. It does not make the PC better, it
makes it equal. “

Of course it makes the console better. It shows us that the console as a whole has
been able to introduce to the world better titles then the PC. So even if you
can play the game on an emulator, the gamer always remembers the feeling they
get from playing it on that console for the first time, and it just isn’t the same
as on a PC.

“You literally just have to plug it in to the PC and
then to the TV...”

If my opponent gave those instructions to the greater majority of the American
population, they would still be clueless. It is a fact that you will need some
background knowledge in order for a PC to cooperate with you, and you don’t
need background knowledge to work the modern 7th gen. console.

“You do the same on a PC. Just plug in a controller and
you're good to go. Even if you have to download a few drivers, this process is
relatively simple and straightforward. “

If you gave those instructions to any American, they would try to plug their Nintendo 64
controller into a PC. Then, after an hour of trying, they would give up, and
probably cry themselves to sleep.

“The $2000 dollar piece of kit. For one thing, it can
output much better graphics and do things like support more objects on screen
at a time. Also, a PC really isn't that hard to figure out. If you can't, ask
someone on a tech forum for help."

"As for the technical problems, if one part fails you can replace it without
replacing the whole rig. If it is a software problem, you can easily have
someone who knows what they are doing help you fix it. “

In many
situations, it’s better to just by a new PC. If you send it in to get it fixed
it could be weeks before you get it back, and when you get it back, it may
still not work. Now, this same situation has been known to happen to the X-Box,
but the X-Box has a better history of returning working consoles.

“I concede the overheating point.

You have to know the limits of your PC and build it accordingly. You can't
expect an overclocked rig to be able to be cooled by one small fan. Most of the
time, problems like these are the fault of the consumers not knowing what they
are doing. “

Who wants to buy a new fan for their PC just to play a
game? By that point, it’s too expensive and too complicated to keep going. Many
PC owners would just give up. Remember: Convenience, convenience, convenience!
Americans want things now!

Thanks to my opponent for an interesting debate!

Posted by IAmTheMasterDebater 3 years ago
IAmTheMasterDebater
PC blows the console out of the water. Better graphics. Better games. More abilities to do. Better controls. Nuff said.
Posted by TheSlenderMan 3 years ago
TheSlenderMan
Sorry, I have to comment again. Con, you say that it's easier to hook up a console and even if you told people how to hook up an HDMI cable for the PC the console would still be easier? You have to plug the console into the TV also! haha it even has more hookups than HDMI.

I'm NOT trying to be a fanboy for the PC but you're arguments are very illogical. I can only assume that fanboys are the ones voting you up. (leave it to console gamers to vote something irrational...haha a little joke, no offense to console gamers).
Posted by TheSlenderMan 3 years ago
TheSlenderMan
"That is quite opinion based, if you contribute a system"s games to how good the system is, then you can make an argument that the N64 was superior because of its revolutionary games."

Con, you can argue that the games were revolutionary and that the console should be recognized but that doesn't mean it's the best gaming system. Every console has revolutionary games. Badur's Gate on PC (among many many others) are considered the turning point of RPG's. You sound like you're the one using opinion.

I have a high powered gaming laptop. I haven't opened it in months because I keep it hooked up to a big screeen tv and use it basically like a console. I can hook up a controller from just about ANY system. You say that's not as easy as just using the console. IT'S MUCH EASIER...I just have to plug in a contoller (it's easy)...you have to completely switch systems and hook the new system up to the TV. I can emulate any game and use the dedicated contoller it was meant for...or I can use a keyboard and mouse. The option is mine. Shooters are much better because I have more precision.

"My opponent makes the point that small indie titles made for the PC are exclusive, and why else would have put that on the debate if he hadn"t meant that the PC was better because of the games it produces" Because the games you talk about can be played on the PC...the games he's talking about can't be played on your consoles....you see the difference??

I can go on and on and on and on but I don't want to make this too long. But I'll go on if you want me to.

I used to console game (and still do) but after going to PC....Pfft..PC blows everything out of the water.
Posted by Witeout177 3 years ago
Witeout177
I think that PC does offer more in the way of graphics and mmo heavy games but consoles have better games like halo 4 which is only on Xbox and a bter way to play with friends.
Posted by qopel 3 years ago
qopel
Likewise
Posted by kata0ka 3 years ago
kata0ka
Neg contentions 2-4 were all very subjective. Aff could have pointed that out
Posted by BigSky 3 years ago
BigSky
You know that if you keep doing this I have no other choice but to report you.
Posted by BigSky 3 years ago
BigSky
Posted by qopel 3 years ago
qopel
This is only the beginning.
Posted by BigSky 3 years ago
BigSky
qopel this is why I love you lol
Vote Placed by THEVIRUS 3 years ago
THEVIRUS
bossyburritoBigSkyTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have tried both, and on pc you ownload steam, then the game, then sign up, then use the link in the verification email, then go back to the game for an update... then the computer restarts to "make changes". Just to reopen the game, sign in, and wait for the actual game to load up. Also, the console exclusive games are better than the pc exclusive games
Vote Placed by Apeiron 3 years ago
Apeiron
bossyburritoBigSkyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter qopel's VB.
Vote Placed by qopel 3 years ago
qopel
bossyburritoBigSkyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Vote bomb much? What goes around, comes around