Cristnogol
mondaynightdebator

PC gaming is superior to console gaming.

Cristnogol
Started: 9/5/2014 Category: Technology

Cristnogol

Pro

In this debate I will argue that PC (personal computer) gaming is superior to console gaming.

Rounds:

1st - Acceptance
2nd - Arguments
3rd - Rebuttals and closing arguments
Cristnogol

Pro

I want to start by thanking my opponent for accepting this debate and I look forward to it.

1. Graphics/Performance/Hardware
I will start with the comparison of next-gen consoles like the Xbox One and the PS4 to PC in terms of performance and graphics. Next-gen consoles these days have a native resolution of 720p and run games at a most of 30fps (frames per second). Conversely a PC built with the same budget as the price of a console can support a native resolution of 1080p and can push most games to 60fps. Next-gen consoles seem to be just overpriced mid-range PCs that don't hold up performance wise compared to their price as previously pointed out. PCs also support storage in the Terabytes while next-gen consoles sport only 500 Gigabytes of storage. PCs have a much higher graphics and performance potential for just the same price. PCs are also extremely upgradeable to fit you any desire. Graphic cards prices change very quickly and it is easy to be able to cheaply buy a new graphics card to run newer games on max settings. The PC is your own gaming machine that you tailor fit to your level of eliteness. The console will never be your machine. It will always be the box that tells you how to play the game.

2. Cost
Against popular belief, PC gaming actually is a lot cheaper than most might think. Even if you go with a more high end rig for PC that for example might cost $1000, you still will end put saving much more money. Though the initial investment for a higher end PC does surpass next-gen consoles, the amount you same in payment for games is substantial. The average price for next-gen console game amounts to be around $60; the average price of a PC is closer to $40. For example let's say that a PC gamer and a console gamer both bought 40 games (which is a pretty average amount). The initial investment for the PC gamer is $1000, $500 for the Xbox One gamer, and $400 for the PS4 gamer. Then the PC gamer ends up paying something like $1600 for their 40 games, and the next-gen console gamers both spend $2400 then on their 40 games. That amounts to the PC costing $2600, Xbox One costing $2900, and PS4 costing $2800. Even just in terms of cost you can see that PC would be the better choice not even counting the superiority of PC vs console. This example doesn't even include the price of Xbox Live and PSN which would add more money. This example also does not take into consideration the very reduced prices for games during Steam sales, and the massive amount of free-to-play games offered on PC.

3. Controller
Whether you prefer mouse-and-keyboard, a gamepad, or even those wonderful controllers that come with consoles; it can be connected to a PC, ensuring that whatever you prefer, it's available. Mouse-and-keyboard though, the usual default controller for a PC, tends to assure that they play can have the maximum amount of input to control. This ends up making mouse-and-keyboard much superior to a controller in a modern FPS or really any game.

4. Exclusives
I am going to base this section on one simple list alone. This list does not by any means have every exclusive game there is, but it give the general idea. http://imgur.com...

5. Game Titles / Mods
Not only does PC outclass next-gen console in terms of exclusives, but also in sheer terms of the amount of games. On Steam alone there are over 3000 games and growing. Also PC supports the use of mods in games which can allow for games to become a completely different game. Mods are only supported on PC and not Console. Mods enhance the user's experience of the game by adding items, content, etc. (virtually anything). When a game releases on a console, you get the content that comes with that particular game, and that's it. When that same game is on the PC, however, the community playing it continuously creates new and interesting content for others to enjoy. Even old, outdated games can be injected with new life through the installation of a new texture mod.

6. Online Play

Multiplayer gaming, in it’s modern form, was born on the PC in the late 1980′s/early 1990′s. It has had over two decades of maturity which is far from anything I can say about the gamers screaming profanity into the headset of your XBOX live experience. It’s almost a given that any PC game worth anything has multiplayer capabilities. Of course, a huge part of PC online gaming is that… it’s FREE. Free as in: all you need is an internet connection worth its salt. There is no xbox live fees or extra cost for the online feature. FREE.

It has to be summed up as a whole, the PC is just a superior gaming platform compared to consoles. You can’t pin-point one definitive reason why, because there are a multitude of reasons. It looks aesthetically better too; consoles are designed to look ‘cool’ to teenage boys, but a PC is a sophisticated utility that looks smart in your house. Overall it has to come down to simple facts. The PC hardware outstrips the console hardware. It can do more, it can evolve easier, it offers more gameplay, the graphics are far more crisper…. PC gaming is superior.

mondaynightdebator

Con

Graphics/hardware/ performance/add-ons vs. cost
There is an old stale argument that consoles just cannot compete with a PC when it comes to graphics, this argument is outdated, and specious. As an owner and gamer on both PC and console I will take this opportunity to clarify the minor differences. First and foremost for all sense of clarity I do own a PC and PS4, The PC I own is an Alienware 18, and as I stated the console I"ll be comparing to will be the Sony PlayStation 4. We will start with the Alienware 18 which I purchased for $3,400 which includes a top of the line processor and graphics card. My Ps4 is has admittedly far, far less computing power. Wait what? Did I just admit the PC can produce better graphics? Yes, I did that is common knowledge. Of course it can it is just more powerful. That however not what my argument is about what it is comes down to is cost. Let"s face a fact, not everyone is able to buy a PC worth thousands of dollars like I have. Or spend the hours upon hours of correctly modding their games to really achieve the best quality. In all honesty there is not a big difference between my Alienware and my ps4 even with the PC on ultra-settings. Minor Differences such as shadows, lighting, partials, and frame rate can encourage a gamer to switch to PC but I ask is the hefty price tag worth the extra shadows? To be honest it"s not noticeable unless you are very specially looking. But once you move past the native and ultra-settings into mods things begin to change. I spent hours and hours modding my skyrim game and I"ll admit I highly doubt any console on the planet can produce the result, simply said it looks amazing. But even this was not as easy as downloading a mod and installing. It took months to tweak, months to get it just right and even after all that work it can result in bugs or glitches. So as performance and graphics are concerned PC would beat any console if you put in the hours of work, and buy a nice PC. (Note: you can build a PC for far substantially less money and produce amazing results; however you are still nowhere near the realm of the cost of one PS4.)
So if you do have the money and you decide to go with PC let"s talk add-ons. First it is not true you cannot use a controller on PC. I use my DS4 controller even on my PC so that is a myth that should be busted; also you can use a TV which is another thing some people may not be aware of. But how about other hardware such as PlayStation move, or vita, no you cannot use these kinds of hardware on a PC.
Online Gaming
Why would anyone play on PC? Pc servers are riddled with people using tools such as aim assist, lag switches, and other hacking tools to improve their score and take away from your experience. I will not play my battlefield on PC due to these reasons, and it sucks, I wish I could that is my favorite game. But what is the point if everyone is cheating?
Exclusives and Games
The lack of exclusives for PC is rather disappointing, not to say there is not any because there is. But console win this battle time and time again. The majority of console exclusives have been some of the highest ranking games in history. Which bring me to games in general, hey PC gamer, how do you like GTA 5 ... oh I forgot you will not know until October, I have beating this game 3 times already and you have yet to play it if you are on PC. I don"t think it"s fair exactly but that"s how it works. Wrestling fan are you? No luck you have no games for your platform. There is not a big enough selection when it comes to pc.
The future
Welcome to the future, the steam box. What is it? This is a console platform that powers steam services and is upgradable. Finally a console that has PC specs, powered by steam, portable, and upgradable, all my problems are solved. WAIT? What I still can"t play Sony or X-box exclusives on this .. F**K! Oh well I guess the war rages on.
PC gaming is great if you have money, Patience and hours to spend on modding. Consoles are great if you enjoy playing games, not worrying about endless cheaters online. And enjoy getting games before PC. Simply put PC gaming is amazing experience for certain people but there are unforeseen problems, and expenses involved with PC gaming. Both are great experience, and a recommend any person do both. To say one is better than the other is complete bulls**it. But as for the average consumer I would suggest a console is a way to go.
Cristnogol

Pro

Before anything I would like to remind my opponent of the outline I gave in the first round. The second round was specified for arguments alone, which was not the result. I just want to point this out for voters and my opponents knowledge.

There is an old stale argument that consoles just cannot compete with a PC when it comes to graphics, this argument is outdated, and specious.

I don't know where you are getting this from but it is wrong in every way. Even with a PC similarly priced to a console that one builds will beat that console in every way. Not to mention just a little bit more money and you will have a PC that fairly outclasses a console (you can get this money from all the money you save from being a PC gamer).

The PC I own is an Alienware 18, and as I stated the console I"Li be comparing to will be the Sony PlayStation 4. We will start with the Alienware 18 which I purchased for $3,400 which includes a top of the line processor and graphics card.

I am very sorry for you that you were convinced of buying a laptop from $3,400. If you were to take that same amount of money and buy PC parts to build one you would have a PC that does actually have the top of the line processor and graphics.

Minor Differences such as shadows, lighting, partials, and frame rate can encourage a gamer to switch to PC but I ask is the hefty price tag worth the extra shadows? To be honest it"s not noticeable unless you are very specially looking.

Minor Differences? With a similarly priced PC you will see something closer to the console, but it still will always run those games at 1080p and 60fps. Console on the other hand will only run some less performance intensive games at 720p and 60fps (or then 1080p at 30fps). PC also has the ability to go beyond this threshold, with the ability of 4K display and 144 hertz display which brings you into 120fps + on games.

In regards to your section about modes and "To be honest it"s not noticeable unless you are very specially looking."

Modes just make all the upsides of PC gaming ever better. PC takes the cake for better graphics and performance even at the same price. Modes can make a game even better, a game which is already running and looking better than a console game. Modes also allow for a new experience for games and can basically make one game into many more games. You must have been installing some really unstable modes, or frankly do not know much about modding. There is really not much to know if you just the one playing the modes, it really is just downloading and dropping the files into you game folder. What you have described as heavily modding Skyrim that took months should really in reality only taken an couple hours.

(Note: you can build a PC for far substantially less money and produce amazing results; however you are still nowhere near the realm of the cost of one PS4.)

I agree with you first statement in this sentence, but the you have it wrong in the second. Here is a pc priced at $343 that would beat any console.
http://pcpartpicker.com...

First it is not true you cannot use a controller on PC. I use my DS4 controller even on my PC so that is a myth that should be busted; also you can use a TV which is another thing some people may not be aware of.

I cannot understand what you are trying to say here due to grammar, but given the situation I will say that your claiming you cannot use an controller on PC and you can't use a TV with a PC. Even though mouse-and-keyboard is best in the terms of accuracy, PCs can have almost any possible controller input you would like. Whether it be some older controller or gamepad, and even modern day controllers for consoles you can use it on the PC. Also there is no reason why you couldn't use a PC on a TV as well. It is exactly the same as plugging a console onto a TV. You plug in the power and the HDMI cable (or other video input) and your ready to go.

Why would anyone play on PC? Pc servers are riddled with people using tools such as aim assist, lag switches, and other hacking tools to improve their score and take away from your experience.

This sounds all to much like the console online experience. Any server on whatever platform experiences hackers. While PC has the most modern and most effective anti-hack software, console does not. Yes they do have protection against hackers, but if you were to look into this more you would find that hacking, lag switch's (no such thing on PC), and the like is more a problem on console that PC. As well as the fact the on console piracy is much more a problem then on PC.
https://software.intel.com...

But what is the point if everyone is cheating?

Yes what is the point is everyone is cheating? Almost anyone will find that consoles experience much more cheating and hacking in games than on PC. So why would you play on console if more people are cheating?

The lack of exclusives for PC is rather disappointing, not to say there is not any because there is. But console win this battle time and time again. The majority of console exclusives have been some of the highest ranking games in history.

Let me stop you right there. These are the most logically skewed sentences I have read so far. PC has more exclusives the every console game combined and much more. The worlds most popular games are found to be PC exclusives. League of Legends and Dota 2 both have MILLIONS of players online every day! Even just those to games really push the popularity of PC exclusives and the presence of them compared to console. PC has so many games compared to every console game combined. Basically every word said in those two sentences is false.

PC has so many more exclusives and large amount of free games.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
https://en.wikipedia.org...

Which bring me to games in general, hey PC gamer, how do you like GTA 5 ... oh I forgot you will not know until October, I have beating this game 3 times already and you have yet to play it if you are on PC.

Okay why should I or any other PC gamer care? PC gamers can have patiences because there is plenty of other games to play which are extremely cheap or free while we wait for anything.

I extend all arugements and stand unopposed as my opponent has not given any standalone arguments of his own. PC gaming is superior to console gaming in every way. I really cannot put it better myself as PC gamers have stated it on reddit:

Personal Computers are awesome gaming and work machines for a multitude of reasons, including but not limited to:

• Works with any TV or monitor (even multiple of each)
  • Works with any controller
  • Free online services (Steam, Galaxy, Desura, Mumble, etc)
  • Bigger and better online services, for FREE
  • Localized multiplayer, up to 16 players in some games
  • Using a modern GPU yields 60+ frames per second during gameplay. Consoles can barely handle 30.
  • Usable for work, education, as well as entertainment
  • Faster than a PS4 or XBox One, even for $400
  • Cheaper games (Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle)
  • Better-rated games (by MetaScore)
  • Free game modifications and enhancements
  • More games, much larger library
  • More exclusive games
  • Healthy independent developer scene
  • Lots of free games
  • Free abandonware titles
  • Can emulate many console games using freely available emulators
  • Cheaper hardware
  • Big Picture mode for couch gaming
  • Easier to repair
  • Very modular
  • Backward and forward hardware compatibility of ~2 years
  • No punishments for repairing
  • Can be upgraded if desired
  • Easier to upgrade
  • Better price-performance than consoles
  • Higher framerates (smoother)
  • Higher resolution (native to your display, amazingly sharp). Consoles struggle, even at 700-900p!
  • Higher graphical details (lighting, textures, foliage, particles, shading, weather)
  • You're probably going to own some sort of PC anyways, why not pay a bit more on top to make it a gaming machine? That alone makes it cheaper than a console.
mondaynightdebator

Con

mondaynightdebator forfeited this round.
Posted by Snuphalem 2 years ago
Snuphalem
PC gaming obviously. Way more benefits. You have more control and manipulation of your games. A larger variety of games, and in my opinion a much better community.

It also educates to be a PC gamer much more then a console gamer which is a huge plus.

The list goes on and on but people need to drop their overly advertised, branded xbox controllers and get a PC.

I've been a console gamer all my life and yes it was awesome. I had some of the greatest experiences of my life. But now adays we are more advanced and power and performance is much more important.

The topic is superiority of the two. Obviously PC is superior in every way. Don't even try to argue.
Posted by fapislazui 2 years ago
fapislazui
I respect that, and I'm a Divine hybrid. So, I could see both, and love both.
Posted by Cristnogol 2 years ago
Cristnogol
My argument is that PC gaming is superior. I am not bashing on console gamers. The problem with console gamers is the console and not the gamer. PC gamers and more specifically PCMR (PC master race) gamers only argue against console to prove how much better of an experience you could be having on PC. We recognize fellow gamers anywhere and just want to expose more people to a much better experience.
Posted by fapislazui 2 years ago
fapislazui
Personally, I find that Both console and PC are eye to eye. Graphics and cost are essentially the same. One is not superior to the other. They both play games. and both look semi-good to good. I still have yet to find people who understand this. I play mostly PC, but that doesn't mean you have to be a dick to console gamers. We all like to play games, Right? So this argument is Very one sided.
Posted by Natsu_Dragneel 2 years ago
Natsu_Dragneel
I agree with Pro, and have no wish to play devils advocate. Good luck!
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
CristnogolmondaynightdebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
CristnogolmondaynightdebatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture