EdgeOfTheInfinite
squonk

PC gaming is superior to console gaming

squonk
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 1/29/2017 Category: Games

EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

First round is solely for acceptance. Next three rounds are for new arguments and rebuttals. Last round is for rebuttals only. No new arguments please.

Please only accept this debate if you are educated on the topic and can make legitimate points and can rebut all or most of my points. Looking forward to this. Good luck.
squonk

Con

Console gaming is superior to PC gaming.
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

I'm going to be using a lot of my arguments from my last debate so if you find them on another debate that's why.
I'm going to be using the example of an Xbox One and PS4 for consoles and a game GTA V because that is a game with very high specs.
Arguments:
PC gaming is a lot more cost effective.
When you get an Xbox One not only do you have to pay for the price of the console, but you also have to pay for the online features plus the ridiculous price of games. With Steam, there is no extra cost. The only things you pay for are the games and the PC which you probably already have. The price difference between games is also unreal. If you wait for a Steam sale which is 4 times a year or you catch a mid-week or weekend sale you're likely to get your game for under 10 dollars. I payed 6 dollars for Skyrim: Definitive Edition and 8 dollars for Mass Effect 1 and 2 together during midweek sales. Even during big sales like Black Friday I only saw Skyrim only dip a little in price with a usual cost of 60 dollars.

PC gaming has a lot more variety.
A lot of console gamers bring up exclusives during any argument about PC vs Console, but the fact is we have exclusives too. World of Warcraft, League of Legends, DOTA, Smite, Undertale, Team Fortress, Firewatch, and most indie games. With things like Steam Greenlight it enables so many indies devs to create games without having ins with Microsoft or Sony meaning a lot of indie games i.e. Undertale that become really famous originate from PC. Thus we have a lot more stuff. Whereas with consoles you go to the store and you just see a AAA games you've already played before and a new title here and there with Steam you have millions of things to choose from 1.274 billion to be exact. You will never not have a game to play.

Console Exclusives
Basically the above argument cont. The fact is if you're involved in the console wars or don't have the money to put in 700+ dollars (I'm basing this off of an unbundled 500 GB Xbox One and 1 TB PS4) for consoles you only have the games from your specific console. This means when they're are exclusives on the other parties side you miss out. Whereas with Origin(EA), PSN and the Xbox app in (and PirateBay if you're down). You can play games from all mediums with only one device.

Customization
With a console you have no choice besides the colour or design of your controller and if you're going to put a skin on it. Everything is premade. You go to the store you get your box and that's it. If something happens you hope to god it's the software if not you're done. The thing that's great about PC is that if you buy your PC or you make your own you can have all the customization you desire. Yes you can put a sticker on the case, but there's so much more. You can update Graphics cards so you can always run your games in the highest quality, you can upgrade memory cards so it can hold more space, change your screen or add another one the options are endless. The best part like in my situation right now. My r key doesn't work (I have to use alt+114) and right now I'm currently awaiting my new keyboard so I can install it. If you spill water on your PC like I did you just get another one depending on the problem it can range anywhere between 12 dollars to 300 in my experience. If the same thing happens to your consoles. You have to get a new one.
squonk

Con

PC gaming is for huge nerds, though. Only huge nerds play games on PC.

League of Legends is for nerds.

World of Warcraft is for nerds.

Indie games are for nerds.

Refute that!
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

Well this was a miscalculation. My opponent is obviously not qualified for a debate so I forfeit my next arguments until he make a legitimate attempt to refute my arguments or propose some of his own. I will likely repose my debate to a qualified contender.

Vote Pro.
squonk

Con

I made a legitimate argument: PC gaming is for nerds.

Although PC gaming may be more cost effective, with more variety, free from console exclusives, and customizable...it's for nerds. I don't know any PC gamers who aren't huge dorks. PC gamers are the type of people who play Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. Furthermore, playing games with a keyboard and mouse is lame. Playing games on a monitor rather than a TV is lame. Sure, you COULD hook up a PC to your TV and connect a controller...but then you have to map the buttons and blah, blah, blah. You might as well just get a PS4 or an Xbox One and be done with it.
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

Read all of my arguments in Patrick Stewart's voice for comedic effect.
Rebuttals:
"PC gaming is for nerds."
By societies view points all gamers are nerds. If you play anything else than some mediocre sports game or occasional COD you are a nerd. Saying every person who plays a specific game is mass generalization and most YouTubers are PC gamers. Are they nerds? This is a very childish argument that cannot be backed up by legitimate evidence so no, this is not a legitimate argument.

"PC gamers are the type of people who play Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering."
This is unbelievably inaccurate. Though some gamers of both PC AND console may have these tendencies that does not account for the mass majority of individuals that play video games on a computer. I would say these types of gamers play mostly MOBAs and strategy games, that's what magic the gathering and D&D are essentially. According to The NPD, 4.1% of the best selling video games across both console and PC are strategies and 1.1% belong to other which include MOBAs and the types of MMO "nerds would play which makes up only 5.2% of all best-selling video games. The top selling games are shooters and action. Though this is for both PC and console releases. Of Steam's top 24 best selling games 4 of the 24 are turn-based strategies. The rest being various assortments of horror, survival and shooters.

If were going into gaming culture here like I had to do in my last debate most people who game on console are casuals. Like I said before about sports games and COD. The top 10 best selling games on Xbox proves this. Most people who play games and are serious about it play on PC. That's a fact.

"Furthermore, playing games with a keyboard and mouse is lame."
"Lame"? Please provide a definition of "lame". Last time I checked we were having a serious debate or at least I was. Anyways that is a complete matter of opinion. Having been raised on PC gaming I prefer a keyboard and a mouse to a controller. It offers more accuracy and your safe from that annoying buzz every time you lose. If you're a console to PC convert then you might get a controller, but most of us are fine with WASD.

"Playing games on a monitor rather than a TV is lame."
Again a matter of opinion. Let's try to keep this professional, yes?

"You might as well just get a PS4 or an Xbox One and be done with it."
Why would I do that and have to play my games in 30 fps with unflattering graphics?

New arguments:
More options for providers
We have a lot more options when it comes to our providers. Computer wise we have countless options when it comes to companies: Dell, HP, Toshiba, Mac, Acer, Alienware, Ironhide, Vaio, Compaq. The list goes on. In terms of video game suppliers and hosts we have Steam, Origin, Amazon, GameAccess, Battle.net, Xbox on Windows 10, PSN, Gamefly, Direct2Drive, Gamersgate, Gog, Itch.io, Greenman gaming and countless others. Fact is you have a lot more choice on PC. If you don't like one company go to another if this one company doesn't have a game you want you have dozens more possibilities. It's a lot better than "Man I want to get Halo, but I have a Playstation and don't want to fork over 300 dollars for an Xbox."

A Developer of the game Crysis actually said Consoles are holding gaming back
"As long as the current console generation exists and as long as we keep pushing the PC as well, the more difficult it will be to really get the benefit of both", Crytek boss Cervat Yerli tells Edge magazine. "[The] PC is easily a generation ahead right now. With 360 and PS3, we believe the quality of the games beyond Crysis 2 and other CryEngine developments will be pretty much limited to what their creative expressions is, what the content is. You won't be able to squeeze more juice from these rocks." That is a direct quote. PCs are clearly superior to consoles that a developer wants to stop creating adaptations for consoles and move one.
Full Article: http://kotaku.com...
squonk

Con

Not all gamers are nerds; only PC gamers are nerds. It's common knowledge. Go to any store that sells Magic: The Gathering or Yu-Gi-Oh! cards or Warhammer figurines. You'll find a high percentage of PC gamers. I guarantee it.

Keyboards are designed for typing. The mouse is designed for navigating the OS. Playing video games with keyboard/mouse is like hammering in nails with a toothbrush. The PlayStation and Xbox controllers, on the other hand, were designed for gaming. That's why they're more comfortable to use for any gamer.

Playing games on a monitor, at a computer desk, is objectively lamer than sitting on a comfortable couch in front of a big-screen (or even small screen) television. That's not a matter of opinion.

Any difference in graphics between PC and Xbox One or PS4 is hardly (if at all) noticeable. Especially when you're playing on a 13" - 16" monitor. As for frame rate...only a huge nerd would sacrifice couch / controller for better frame rate on a display that's 1/6 the size.

No one cares about Crysis.

Here's a list of reasons why I bought a PS4 instead of a gaming PC:
  • I don't want to spend $1,000+
  • I don't want to play games sitting on an office chair, with a 16" monitor (at best)
  • Controllers are designed for gaming. Keyboard and mouse are not.
  • There are no good PC-exclusive games
  • There are more performance issues on PC
EdgeOfTheInfinite

Pro

Rebuttals:
"You'll find a high percentage of PC gamers."
Well in this case Nerds=PC gamers is a contraposition which basically means most nerds are PC gamers, but not all PC gamers are nerds.

"The mouse is designed for navigating the OS. Playing video games with keyboard/mouse is like hammering in nails with a toothbrush. "
Well you've obviously never played on a PC. It is very simple to game with a keyboard, incredibly simple actually my 8 year old niece can do it. I actually had a lot of trouble when I was gaming on my old PS2. It takes a lot more to learn to play with a controller and most of the time I was just fidgeting with the buttons and hoping for the best. Though keyboards were not made for gaming they are certainly up to snuff for it.

"Playing games on a monitor, at a computer desk, is objectively lamer than sitting on a comfortable couch in front of a big-screen (or even small screen) television. That's not a matter of opinion."
Yes it is. In my OPINION, I prefer sitting on my comfy chair for hours playing a game. I personally find it more comfortable.

"Any difference in graphics between PC and Xbox One or PS4 is hardly (if at all) noticeable."
I have an eye for these things so maybe it's just me, but I see a difference. https://i.kinja-img.com...

"As for frame rate...only a huge nerd would sacrifice couch / controller for better frame rate on a display that's 1/6 the size."
Two words: Dual monitors.

"I don't want to spend $1,000+"
https://www.youtube.com... 350 dollars, that is less than your PS4 and runs it better.

"I don't want to play games sitting on an office chair, with a 16" monitor (at best)"
That's your preference, but I personally prefer my comfy office chair with back support to my bed where I'd have to crane my neck to see the game. It all depends on your setup I guess.

"Controllers are designed for gaming. Keyboard and mouse are not."
Well that's not accurate. Just because it's designed for one thing doesn't mean it can't be used for another. Keyboards have superior accuracy over controllers that's most likely why you don't see eSport players on a PS4.

"There are no good PC-exclusive games"
In your opinion, but I can still get The Last of Us on my PC for free and Halo.

"There are more performance issues on PC"
I don't have any problems. I'm not running a beast either.

Ladies and gentleman, my opponent never fails to impress. With an immaculate vocabulary consisting of words such as "lame" and "nerd" and the exquisite wordsmithery such as "no one cares". I would not be surprised in the slightest if you, the voters, saw his exceptional nature and voted him the winner of this debate. For now all I can do is sit and wait for defeat. It's been the most splendid of debates, Mr. Squonk. Congratulations, you have earned your victory.
squonk

Con

Ultimately, the reason PC gaming is worse than console gaming is because you miss out on so many great games. No Super Smash Bros., for one thing.

I have played games on a PC, and it's unintuitive. You have to re-map all the keys to end up with a control scheme that's marginally comfortable, and even then, sometimes you hit "F" instead of "R" to reload. F*** that! That's 1 reason why 40,000,000 people choose PS4 instead.

"I actually had a lot of trouble when I was gaming on my old PS2. It takes a lot more to learn to play with a controller and most of the time I was just fidgeting with the buttons and hoping for the best."

You must be retarded. There's only 4 buttons, start/select, 2 joysticks, and 4 triggers. They purposely designed it to be easy to use.

"I prefer sitting on my comfy chair for hours playing a game. I personally find it more comfortable."

You're lying, because you're a nerd. Your chair is not comfier than a couch. That's flat-out impossible.

"Two words: Dual monitors."

Two words: Matrix nerd. Some of us don't live in our parents' basements. We don't have time for that nerdy s***.

"I can still get The Last of Us on my PC for free and Halo."

Those are both on consoles, anyway.

I'm sure my opponent will win all the nerdy dork votes.
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
Pathetic moderation, But I think it's clear that the debate in the comment section was better than the actual debate.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: JimShady// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Con's use of factual evidence and very good grammar makes me decide this way. Pro fails to explain his argument.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter is required to specifically assess arguments made by both debaters in order to award points on this debate. Merely stating that, in general, one side had better evidence and good grammar while the other didn"t explain something is not sufficient.
************************************************************************
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
No problem.
Posted by squonk 1 year ago
squonk
OK, you caught me. I was totally trolling. Sorry if you were hoping for a serious debate on PC vs. console; I guess I f*cked that up for you.
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
Everyone leave squonk alone, he's trolling. He is no an idiot I've seen his other debates. I have no idea why he's doing it, but just let him be and he'll tire himself out.
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
Squonk, It is obvious that you are unable to sustain a basic argument with someone that is younger than you.

You rely on ad-homs, non-sequiters, and other fallacies to get... what point across?

You have 0 facts, and only personal attacks.

K and M are superior because they are more accurate and allow for far more options, that is the reason why you are limited in terms of strategy and MMO's.
Posted by squonk 1 year ago
squonk
Keyboard and mouse are far superior if you're a 15-year-old, overweight, pimply nerd who'll only ever f*ck his fat nerdy wife he'll meet at age 27 in a D&D session. You know it's true.
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
@Squonk Is that why you need auto-aim in your console games to make up for the fact that the keyboard and mouse are far superior than the controller?
Posted by squonk 1 year ago
squonk
The only game worth playing on PC is Age of Empires 2. Other than that, they're all worthless or better played on consoles.
Posted by EdgeOfTheInfinite 1 year ago
EdgeOfTheInfinite
What ever let's you sleep at night.
Vote Placed by paintballvet18 1 year ago
paintballvet18
EdgeOfTheInfinitesquonk
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Round 3 by Pro, "so I forfeit my next arguments" means that Con wins debate. You don't simply forfeit and then come back to the debate after that.