PC is better than Mac part II

Started: 6/17/2011 Category: Technology

Sorry I messed up the first one. Let's have it again. I changed the time as well

All right Jason, I accept the debate and hope you will make it this time! :)

I will wait for your opening arguments and then start the debate.

Jason77 forfeited this round.

Jason, if you are having trouble posting an argument within the time limits, you can change this with the debate option.

It is advisable to give yourself some time so you won't forfeit debates unnecessarily.

I am still waiting for your opening arguments.

Sorry. I went to bad and didn't realize the time would be over by the time I would come back.

So basically my argument is simple.

The market share of Macs is around 10%. If Macs were better than PCs, why wouldn't the market share be higher? The fact that people prefer to buy PCs show that they are better.

Also, Macs are way too expansive and don't even allow to play games on it.

The way I see it, is that Apple stuff in general is hip and totally overpriced and this is why people think they are getting a better product when they buy a computer that costs double as much as a pc.

I see you were you are coming from, however just looking at the market share is not an appropriate indicator for which product is better.

For example, in 2011, Ferrari sold 639 cars in the US while Mazda sold 103,072. [1] Now if you only look at the market share you might think that Mazda builds better cars than Ferrari, but of course few people would argue that that is the case.

There are a multitude of reasons why Mazda sells more cars than Ferrari other than building a better product, for example they sell cheaper cars or cars that accommodate different needs.

The same can be said about PCs and Macs.

Macs come in a few configurations, and are built by Apple following detailed specifications. Apple not only sets the specification for the hardware, they also provide the software, which allows the machine to run more efficiently than a PC that is built together from parts that come from several manufacturers and run another manufacturer's software.

Even though Apple still has third party components in it, they are designed to work in a unit.

Macs are more expansive than most PCs because of several reasons, including the old supply and demand, but also because of a higher quality.

MacBook Pros have an aluminum unibody which is robust and light, compared to the plastic body of most Windows laptop.
They have functional designs as well. An iMac for example comes with one cable and that's it. You pull it out of the box and there is no mess on your table.

Every mac also comes with useful software. You have software to burn dvds, make photo albums, video and music right when you buy it and you don't need to be a pro either.

On the other hand, a lot of professional in fields such as photography, music and video still use Macs.

A Mac also has fewer viruses and comes with one year warranty and technical support over the phone, and unlike a PC that cannot run Mac OX natively, a Mac can run a Windows operating system, and as I have pointed out in the other debate, a Windows Mac is faster than most other PCs using the same operating system.[2]

The Mac gives you more flexibility and options, and is easy to use as well. There are tons of games designed to run on a mac [3], and in case you really want to play a title that's not available, you can always run Windows on your mac.

There is no doubt that Macs are more expansive, but they also offer a higher quality product.

Vote Placed by Deathbeforedishonour 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Basically a forfeit for pro and bad conduct for waiting till the last round to post arguments
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was spoiled by Pro not getting around to making any arguments until the last round, when technically there are not supposed to be any new arguments. The market share argument was overcome, and Pro was wrong about games. I don't think Macs are easier to use than PCs. The user interface is a little better, but if you have a problem, the Mac is designed with lots of hidden files and other features designed to keep out users. But that didn't come up.