PC is superior to Mac

Started: 8/2/2013 Category: Technology

This debate seeks to educate the average consumer as to which laptop brand is of superior quality, without regard to the stock Operating System.

I SUPPORT the topic...

As a courtesy, I am allowing my opponent to administer the first argument.

Prerequisite Standards:
1. The stock Operating System of both PC's and Mac are irrelevant to hardware superiority, and are not to be included or utilized in any argument.

2. Only Mac laptops, distributed from Apple, and PC laptops are to be included in the discussion.
3. Polite conduct and etiquette is appropriate at all times.
4. Please reduce as many spelling and grammatical errors as possible.

I thank my opponent for this opportunity and look forward to an enjoyable debate!

First and foremost I think it's important to mention that the true answer to the question at hand is very dependent on the needs of the individual that is receiving the recommendation. In this case I would deem a PC superior because of not only its commercial appeal (more Windows gamers) to game manufacturers but very much their ease of replacing hardware (a graphics board comes to mind in this case) as well. On the other hand, if the user is not much into technology and simply wants something that will consistently work and won't get doomed by their malware filled, yet pretty desktop wallpaper they downloaded, a Mac is going to do them serve their needs much more efficiently. This is because of two main reasons; the first being that malware programmers want the most bang for their buck (as do most people) so they naturally aim for the bigger target, which in this case would be the PC users. Around 80% of computer users are using a PC, giving the internet bandits a much broader area of potential users to infect. The second reason that Microsoft tends to produce at a quantity over quality due to their popularity and because of this the coding is often released while still in a vulnerable state, it's pretty agreed that it is an easier task to manipulate a PC's operating system vs. that of a Mac. I worked as an I.T. guy for around five years at a small university and if every computer on campus would've been a Mac there would've been no use for my department.

With all that being said (sorry about the wall of text) I would also like to mention that I myself am a PC user, but for just one reason, Macs are way too damn expensive. Putting this aside though, what I would like to argue on the behalf of the Mac, is that if we could find a user who had no existing knowledge of using a computer it would be much easier for them to adapt-to and maintain a Mac laptop. In my experiences troubleshooting both PC's and Mac computers, I've found that its significantly easier to solve the problem on a Mac, the simple reason for this is that Mac's include very high functioning repair tools in their applications folder. Most problems on a Mac can be simply solved by running one of these tools (such as disk utility) that will go out, find the problem, and fix it for you. Windows contains more specific troubleshooting tools (that are getting better) that often offer little aid. When fixing a PC (which are higher-risk machines in general) it's a more intricate process that usually requires some knowing of how computers work, or at least the ability to make use of Google (doesn't always work anyways). A good example of this would be if a new user ran into an intermittently crashing machine. With windows you'll often have go to the command prompt and run a command that's known as "chkdsk /r" which will check the hard drive for errors and repair them. On a Mac the user (pretend it's your grandma) would simply need to open their applications folder, click on a the disk utility tool, and let the Mac do the rest. As I also mentioned in the preceding paragraph Mac's are much less susceptible to malware, making life much easier for the novice user. At the end of the day, neither OS is really superior to the other t hough, it all just depends on who's using it.

Unfortunately, you have misinterpreted the criteria of this debate. Your argument suggests that Mac is superior to PC regarding Operating System dominance. However, according to the aforementioned Prerequisite Standards this is a debate concerning the superiority of hardware, not software. So, as I have clarified, feel free to revise your starting argument.

I noticed that you mentioned you didn't want to talk about OS but I thought it should probably be pointed out to you that that's where the only real differences between a Mac and PC can be found. Hardware is generally the same between a Mac and PC, in fact to the extent that most is interchangeable between the two types of machines these days. Both companies make higher and lower end products and roughly charge the same for equivalent parts. I will also mention that during my five year stay in I.T. it was a pretty standard practice replacing PC hardware (as it crapped-out so often) whereas it was a pretty big deal if a Mac came to us with hardware problems.

Just out of curiosity, what's your experience with computers and what spurred your interest in creating this debate?

"OS ... that's where the only real differences between a Mac and PC can be found."
"Hardware is generally the same between a Mac and PC ..."
"Both companies ... roughly charge the same for equivalent parts."

These three statements are the foundation of your argument for Mac's superiority over PC concerning hardware performance; all are blatantly unjustified and essentially false. The PC and the Mac are both two completely different systems, both with unique physical qualities and features. However, to solidify the PC's component dominance over the Mac Laptop, a comparison can be made between two featured Laptops classified as Mac and PC:

HP dv6t-7300 Quad Edition [$1,294.99]

1. Windows 8 - 64 Bit
2. 3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3740QM Processor Clocked @ 2.6 GHz

3. NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 2048MB of Dedicated Video RAM
4. 15.6-Inch Diagonal Full High Definition Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
5. 8GB DDR3 System RAM (2 Dimm) Clocked @ 1600 MHz
6. 750GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
7. Backlit "Chiclet" Keyboard

15-Inch (Non-Retina) Macbook Pro [$2,349.00]

1. Mac OS X Mavericks
3. NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 650M Graphics with 1048MB of Dedicated Video RAM
4. 15-Inch Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display (1680 x 1050)
5. 8GB DDR3 System RAM (2 Dimm) Clocked @ 1600 MHz6. 750GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
7. Backlit "Chiclet" Keyboard

As you can see, the cheaper PC has equivalent and even superior specifications than the Macbook Pro, with a $1,054.01 price difference. Although the PC is predominately performance-oriented and superior in hardware components, the Macbook Pro does have a very distinguishing external design. Except, this design is worth nowhere near $1,000, and even restricts the users ability to customize and upgrade the Laptop.

In response to your question, I am a programmer with knowledge in C++, PHP, MySQL, Perl, Python, Ruby, RubyonRails, LISP, and Linux Shell Scripting. I have built a desktop PC and I have constructed my own computer from scratch for my own personal use. I have been familiarized with both Windows and Mac OS, and I personally prefer PC over Mac.

Stephen_Dedalus forfeited this round.
Posted by jamesh 3 years ago
This is my first post on the site so please go easy on me :)

"Although the PC is predominately performance-oriented and superior in hardware components, the Macbook Pro does have a very distinguishing external design. Except, this design is worth nowhere near $1,000, and even restricts the users ability to customize and upgrade the Laptop. "

I would agree with you in saying that the design is worth nowhere near $1000, but your statement about it limiting the ability to customize and upgrade the laptop is false. Macbooks use standard 2.5" drives and take DDR3 memory just like every other laptop. As for any other component, neither option of PC or Mac will allow the user to upgrade anything else.

In terms of laptops, a Macbook is very expensive. when you move into the desktop side of things, the prices become a bit more justifiable (Excluding the Mac Pro).
Posted by pspworld 3 years ago
When it comes to these PC vs Mac arguments the viruses I think should be thrown out of the debate because viruses are caused by the user. Viruses come in because people let them in, its like leaving your front door open.

For all current mac users who complain they got viruses while using a PC let me give you some tips. Don't download email attachments you don't know if or click on any links you don't know of. AV is not necessary because those free AV programs are often Trojans. Don't click on adds and download WOT (Web Of Trust) to determine whether a website is safe. Also don't be downloading weird software,just buy or ask a friend for a copy of it. I haven't used antivirus (AV) in years and never caught a virus. My computer is clean and fast. Also use a Firefox browser, its more secured than Chrome and Internet Explorer.
Posted by rajun 3 years ago
I agree with Pro and Pro has won the debate. I myself am going to vote for case con comes up with some good argument in the 3 round, that's different.
Posted by JGHOSTBOY 3 years ago
Stephen_Dedalus and readers, I apologize for the formatting issues in my Round 3 argument, if any issues cloud judgment, comment and I will clarify.

Again, my apologies.
Vote Placed by Merrit 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro because of Con's FF. S&G tied. Arguments to Pro because Con's argument depended on OS, which Pro specifically mentioned in R1 as irrelevant, and that they were debating hardware. Sources to Pro.