Obliterix
Progressivist

PC or MAC?

Obliterix
Started: 1/22/2014 Category: Technology

Obliterix

Con

I think PCs are better than Macs. The reason being is that, Macs are way overpriced, and you can get a better PC for cheaper. A $2,000 Mac would equate into my $500 laptop. And I find it that Macs make things a little "too easy" for people, making them take advantage of something they can do easily, which makes someone think they are a "Pro" but they are actually 10 year old girls that just use a single app with 1 button to edit their picture for them. (No offense to the real pros that Photoshop on Macs)
Progressivist

Pro

Now, I'm countering your argument, but let me agree that I do partially agree that PC's are better than Macs.

I counter your statement in regard to software.
I will agree that the Processing, internal hardware, and etcetera, of a Mac is much less qualified than that of a PC.

I'll also agree that macbooks are overpriced.

However, this doesn't constitute that the whole computer is better.
I find that Macs are better for getting more serious work done - from photoshop to office work - in shorter periods of time.

The software for a mac is high quality, so an overpricing or a bad quality processor should not reign down on the overall quality of the actual software design.

"Content over Quality"
Obliterix

Con

Before I start, I would like to thank you for joining the debate, and wishing you good luck.

You stated "The software for a mac is high quality, so an overpricing or a bad quality processor should not reign down on the overall quality of the actual software design." Just because "Your UI looks cool" does not mean that you can do great things with the computer itself. Think again about the power of a Mac. Before thinking about the interface itself, think about what this Mac can really do. And, if you think of it on the Support side as well, PC's are better. Most Apple employees only know how to talk about what their products can do, rather than knowing how to troubleshoot.
Progressivist

Pro

Thanks! I'm glad to debate.

" Think again about the power of a Mac. Before thinking about the interface itself, think about what this Mac can really do."

The power of the mac is irrelevant when it comes to efficiency and interface.

I would argue that the most important feature of a computer IS it's interface, and the interface's ability and efficiency in allowing you to do things.

What the processor and hardware "can actually do" is irrelevant to me because, in my eyes, a processor is something independent that can easily be replaced and the interface could work better.

All in all, like I said before, I think it really comes down to whether you prefer content over quality or efficiency over ability.
Obliterix

Con

I understand your point. But if we go back to the first round, there is still a price difference. Anybody can do the same things Macs can with a PC. If you also look at it's simplicity, it isn't hard to tell that people that ONLY use Macs do not know anything about PCs at all. It's embarrassing really, and just because the UI on a Mac is more user-friendly does not mean it gets things done. A PC can do just as much, (maybe more) has more power, and costs less. And all the kids whose parents buy their Apple products for them will later have no idea how to use a PC when they need to. And if they use a PC, it helps you become accustomed to almost any operating systems. For some programming classes, yes I had to use a Mac, but knowing PCs actually gets me used to any operating system instantly. And "that Mac I used in a programming class" was really frustrating. If i didn't save my code every 5 seconds, the Mac would get the "Beach Ball of Death" many times.

I would like to say thank you again for the debate. Good luck on your last argument! -Obliterix
Progressivist

Pro

A PC may be able to do just as much, but can it do it as efficiently? (not considering the state of the processor or hardware once again)

If microsoft or some other PC-manufacturer were to purchase the mac software, deck out the internal hard drive, and adequate the cost to a reasonable amount, then yes, the mac would be better in quality - but only for certain things. If we were talking about the spectrum of gaming, then PC is obviously better due to Macs being designed for work purposes.

It's design is better for working - a mac is about efficiency whilst a PC is about recreation - if you hooked a PC and a Mac both up with the same processor and hardware, in a work-environment, I think that a mac would be able to successfully compute and be used as a tool to photoshop, office-work, and etcetera, regardless of cost.

I understand your point about the simplicity of Macs, but you have to assume that we speak for the average user. Just because the PC is more complex and gives the user a better learning experience doesn't make it a better tool for the average worker - maybe for a power user, but not the average worker.

The compatibility of one tool to the other and conversions shouldn't really matter when we're discussing the integrity of the UI and software quality.

As for pricing, It's not the software's fault that Apple can abuse it's power and overprice EVERYTHING. Apple is a whole another debate. They wrecked a good idea by exploiting their brand to the very last penny and nearly destroying the concept: but that doesn't make the raw concept any less susceptible to flaws, just exploitation by the industry.

Thanks for the debate!
Posted by Karatepkid 3 years ago
Karatepkid
Since The Contender even slightly confesses he likes Macs better, i agree with the Instigator for great knowledge of both but all in all i think of a tie
Vote Placed by Kreakin 3 years ago
Kreakin
ObliterixProgressivistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro even agreed with Con! Big mistake conceeding to Con. Pro gets S&G for better lay out. Neither used sources.
Vote Placed by TheNamesFizzy 3 years ago
TheNamesFizzy
ObliterixProgressivistTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think overall con provided better arguments