PC (pro) vs Console (con) [Gaming]

Started: 7/15/2014 Category: Games

This is a well debated topic. I enjoy debates on this topic and thought it would be very fun to do. Bring the heat on fanboys! By consoles, I am referring to the PS4/Xbox One. You may make references back to some prior generations of consoles and talk about them, but please note that the debate will be focused on these consols only!

Full Topic
[Same as stated in the title]: PC vs Console [Gaming]

Round 1 Pro: States Rules
Round 1 Con: Acceptance

Round 2 Pro: Presents his case
Round 2 Con: Presents his/her case

Round 3 Pro: Rebuts to Con's Case
Round 3 Con: Rebuts to Pro's Case

Round 4 Pro: Rebuts to Con's case [specifically adressing arguments made in Round 3]
Round 4 Con: Rebuts to Pro's case [specifically adressing arguments made in Round 3]

Round 5 Pro: Closing Rebuttals [Specifically towards Con's rebuttals in Round 4] and Conclusions
Round 5 Con: Closing Rebuttals [Specifically towards Pro's rebuttals in Round 4] and Conclusions

1. No trolling
2. All sources must be cited
3. No Forfeiting a round
4. The format I have stated must be followed
5. Faliure to follow any of the rules stated above will result in an automatic loss

Character Limit

Time to Post Round
3 Days
I look forward to a great debate!

I accept, let's do this...

I thank for accepting this debate. I hope it will be a lot of fun!
Fact of the matter is that a PC Gaming is going to cost you less than Console Gaming in the long run. The reasoning for this is quite simple, look at this picture(If this picture is too small - then check out the website) [1]:

Now this graph shows a couple of key things. It is more expensive to buy a gaming PC. It is an undeniable fact that a PC costs more to buy. Then this chart shows that the average PC game is $40 and an average Xbox/Play Station game is $60. The chart then uses an example in which someone were to buy 40 games between now and the next generation of consoles (buying 40 games in 8 years is quite common. That's 5 games a year).

Here is where we start seeing the cost diferences. Since Console games are more expensive, in 8 years a person would spend $2,400 on games, where as a PC gamer would only spend $1,600. Furthermore, we must account for 8 years of Xbox live/PSN susbscription fees. Xbox will have $480, while PS4 will have $400. Considering everything that is present in the graph - taking the Route of PC Gaming will cost you $2,248 while Console Gaming will cost you $3,200 - $3,380.The chart also has some notes that it makes, and it's a good idea to go over these.

First of all, the Gaming PC that was $650 is able to run games at 60 FPS (The consoles can run games at 60 FPS as well). So we aren't talking about a crappy PC here. We are talking about something that can run pretty much every game. It's clear that a PC will save you money in the long run, but it will actually start saving you money as short as a year. And lastly regarding the use of used games for consoles... the answer to that is simple - Steam Sales

Conclusion: While the intital cost of a PC might be more than the cost of the Consoles, the PC will start saving you money in as short as a year. Over the course of 8 years (until the release of the next generation of Consoles), you will save $1,036 (Xbox One) or $856 (PS4). No matter which way you look at it - taking everything into consideration , PC Gaming is cheaper than Console Gaming.

Mods are modifications that players can make to games. Currently, none of the consoles have mod support. Mods add more content, and an enhance one's gaming experience.

For example, let's take the game Skyrim. Skyrim is a great game, and it has hundreds of hours worth of content packed into it. However, as awesome as it is, the modding community makes it 100x better. Why? Because players can add things into the game that may not be there. Is there an item that you want in the game? Done. Are you done with the game? Do you want more content? There are mods that add more content than DLC's! Want a certain type of armor in game? Done. Practically anything you could think of can be added with mods. They enhance the user's experience with the game.

Not everyone may like downloading mods, and that's fine. But we have to look at the whole community of gaming. Many people would like the opportunity to download mods so that it can enhance their game, and consoles just don't support mods.

Conclusion: Mods are only supported on PC and not Console. Mods enhance the user's experience of the game by adding items, content, etc. (virtually anything). We can conclude that being a PC Gamer will envoke a better experience with games than a Console Gamer, because Console Gamers don't have access to mods.

Game Titles

Some people think that consoles have exclusive titles. Now this is a very very contrevertial topic. Reason being that PC's and Consoles both have exuclusive titles. However, I personally find that the PC's exclusive titles far surpass the Consoles.

First of all it's worth noting that a LOT of popular games on consoles were orginially PC games. For example, Call of Duty [2], Battlefield [3], Minecraft [4], etc. Furthermore, it is to be noted that you can't play any MOBA games, nor can you play MMORPG games, nor can you play RTS games on Consoles. For example, you can't paly League of Legends or Dota 2. You can't play 99% of all MMORPG games. With the release of the PS4 and Xbox One some MMORPG's are coming to consoles. But very few are, and I must note once again - they were all originally PC titles. But even with that, really good MMORPG titles such as Guild wars 2, Rift, World of Warcraft, etc. cannot be on consoles. Also - the amount of indie games on PC far outweighs the consoles. Most indie games are going to be on PC. Some will become successful enough to go to consoles (Ex. Minecraft), but they all start on PC.

There aren't many Console Exclsives that grab my attention. The only titles I can think of are Gears of War or maybe Halo. But even these titles aren't as good as the PC exclusives such as, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2 (This game is 100x better than Halo). None of the Console titles truly are interesting to me - and the ones that are were once PC titles. If my opponent wants to make a list of good console exclusive titles and try to convince me that there are good exclusives on console - he can [try] to do so.

Conclusion: PC games have just as many exculive titles as Consoles. They have many more indie games that tend to come to consoles. Many popular games that are currently Consoles started out onna PC. Since none of the Console exclusives are very interesting, and since their PC counterparts are a LOT better. PC games are better than Console games.

Now I admit that this one comes downto personal preference. I agree that the Consoles have an edge on this one, since you can relax on a couch and play with the controller, while on a PC you must sit up straight, and be in a more concentrated position. First of all, many PC shooters give the option to use controllers, but obviously no console will give you the option to use a Mouse and Keybaord. Second, The precision of the Mouse and Keyboard far surpasses that of a console. If hardcore Call of Duty players that playd on Xbox were to play hardcore Call of Duty players on PC, the Xbox players would lose.

Conclusion: At the end of the day, this one comes down to personal preference. However it is to be noted that playing on a mouse and keyboard will give more precision when playing.

Esports are somewhat new, but they are defiinetely growing. I'm not sure how competetive Console Gaming is, but PC Gaming can get VERY COMPETETIVE. I'm sure that they are lots of competitions for prizes for Console Players, but there is just a LOT more for PC gamers. Some of the biggest Esports tend to be MOBA's such as League of Legends and Dota 2, which aren't availaable on the Console. And this is BIG. For example:

League of Legends World Championships
As you can see there are a LOT of players that get involved

Conclusion: PC gamers tend to be more competetive. As a result the Community of gaming tends to grow. Such big sporting events are not possible on Consoles.
I will stop right here. Overall PC gaming is better for the reasons i have mentioned above. I look forward to my opponents arguments. Next round will be rebuttals =)

DeathsaintX forfeited this round.

I have won. I'm not gong to be able to post anything for future rounds. I have own since my opponent resigned first.

DeathsaintX forfeited this round.

Once again, my opponent has forfeited. As per rules, I win. Vote for pro.

DeathsaintX forfeited this round.

this is very sad... This is one of the very reasons i look for serious debaters only. I'm afraid that something like this will happen. At the very least - I wish that my opponent would have had the courtesy to tell me that he would not continue or someting of the sort. Looks like i'm going to have to redo this one. Vote Pro.

DeathsaintX forfeited this round.
Posted by Irrelevance 2 years ago
Set it so they can only accept above a certain age, so kids can't do it and also I have set it to having completed a debate, because I messed up my first one and I don't want to be against a first timer
Posted by Irrelevance 2 years ago
He hasn't been online since 1 day after he joined DDO. This debate looks a little like my one... Much better and more sophisticated don't get me wrong but it was my first debate and it wasn't long ago... They didn't use any solid proof. The only support for consoles are pricks who didn't do research and have a few friends on the XBone or the PissPoor.
Posted by mrPrime 2 years ago
might not wanna site wiki so much... sure it appear accurate more often than not but it's generally frowned upon when debating and the opponent can easily challenge your credibility.
Posted by KingDebater369 2 years ago
I look forward to your argument, DeathsaitX. This debate has officially begun!
Posted by Suryayan 2 years ago
I thnk too it wll be an epic debate. I thnk pc is good but we can play any game in console.
Posted by DeathsaintX 2 years ago
Well then, indeed this shall be epic in magnitude..
Posted by KingDebater369 2 years ago
Good? oh no my friend. Great? Not even close. It will be EPIC, FANTASITC, THE GREATEST DEBATE EVER. I really do look forward to your arguments. And you better be prepared, because mine are pretty damn good =)
Posted by DeathsaintX 2 years ago
Okay, this should be good
Posted by KingDebater369 2 years ago
Ok thanks =) It's just that when I see an account that's just oh so recently made (like yours) I get a real bad feeling it's going to be a troll. But you actually took the time to respond to this comment, and your response of acceptance was not trollish. I'm probably going to post tomorrow or maybe the day after.
Posted by DeathsaintX 2 years ago
Im ready when you are, good luck.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.