benbig1
ConservativePolitico

PC vs XBOX360

ConservativePolitico
Started: 5/23/2012 Category: Technology

benbig1

Pro

As a gamer, we all love to play games, no matter what platform it may be. Now, I've came across a debate with a friend over the XBOX or the PC. So I thought I'd share my thoughts on the computer.

First off, PC is a much more advanced gaming system. How? Their are more buttons than the XBOX controller has. The keyboard and mouse have a ton of different functions. One weakness that XBOX has is the lack of combos. What I mean is pressing different buttons in a certain order to do an action. Why can't XBOX have this? Because of the lack of buttons, that's why.

Another thing is macros. Essentially, macroing is binding a key to do a certain action. This could be to aim, shoot, change weapon, or of course, do a combo with the press of one button. Why cant XBOX do this? Because ALL of the buttons are needed for the games, and it isn't possible to do so.

That's all I'll say for now, and I'll argue against any points that I see invalid in the next round.

ConservativePolitico

Con

While Xbox controllers might not have as many buttons as the computer doesn't make it an inferior gaming machine. Xbox alleviates this problem by adding menus, skill wheels and combos that utilize the available buttons. If you play a game such as Skyrim on the computer and on the Xbox the differences are very slight by way of controls and controllers.

Graphics and Hardware

The biggest advantage the Xbox has over a computer is convenience and uniformity. Every game that comes in an Xbox 360 box will run on any functioning Xbox 360 while computer games are finicky and require specific system specs to be able to run. On Xbox you can get all the great graphics of the latest games without having to buy a top of the line rig to get them to play. I can play Skyrim on my Xbox but my older laptop can't handle it. It is inconvenient.

Also, the graphics on a flat screen TV running on the Xbox can be much, much better than they are on the computer. If you have an HD TV and a game such as Batman Arkham City it looks a lot better than it does on the computer. Another thing is Xboxes don't lag. Computers tend to lag if you don't have the right equipment which can disrupt a gaming experience.

Types of Games

Xbox also has a wider range of games you can play than computer. The computer genre is usually limited to RPGs, strategy and first person shooter games. Now the XBOX can play all of these and more. You won't find any (decent) sports games for the computer because the key board is not conducive to running it. You can't play Madden on the computer but you can on the Xbox. Xbox is more diverse in it's selection of games than the computer is. Most games on the computer also come on Xbox but most Xbox games cannot be transferred to the computer.
benbig1

Pro

I understand where you're coming from. Now, admittedly, the graphics are a tad bit better. However, the hardware is a downfall for Microsoft. Reading from a forum, and some other websites, it seems the typical XBOX360 can last from 6 months to 3 years, and sometimes a tad bit longer. Yes, you can indeed fix it when it dies, but what if it breaks again? A PC, however can last longer, by about a year or two(or three). If it does break, it is possible to fix it without contacting the manufacturer. Of course you need some knowledge on the hardware, but what does Microsoft tell you about their hardware?

Of course graphics better, but its only an advantage, when the thing is alive. A PC can give somewhat good, playable graphics, and can last longer than the typical XBOX does.

Also, yes. The XBOX does have more games. However, an emulator is a fix to that. You can buy an emulator for pretty much any game that is on the XBOX. Of course a keyboard is harder to play sports' games, however an XBOX360 controller is designed to be used with a computer as well. This means by installing a driver, you can play a sports game, say FIFA, on the computer(cheaper) with an XBOX controller. Now yes, you can use a keyboard on the XBOX, but can you use it for anything other than typing? Maybe on some games, but definitely not all of them.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk...
http://petesgameroomforum.com...

Thanks for taking the challenge, and I wish you the best of luck for this round.
ConservativePolitico

Con

"admittedly, the graphics are a tad bit better"
"Of course graphics better"
[sic]

As you can see my opponent has ceded the point about Xbox graphics being better than computer's graphics.

Now, my Xbox has been in working order for well over 5 years and so have my friends. I want to point out that people usually only go to a forum when they are looking for a solution to a problem because they have problems. I've never posted to a forum about Xbox hardware problem because I've never had them. The vast majority of people with strong long lasting Xboxes will not post to these forums so I think your source is a little skewed. The 360 was predicted to have a "very long" life span [1] and was released in 2005. [2] If you tried to play Skyrim on a computer from 2005 it wouldn't even run so in order to play Skyrim you would have to have gotten a brand new computer or some SERIOUS updates to your 2005 rig. However, my Xbox from 2005 plays Skyrim just fine.

Everything breaks, I'm sure I can find a forum where people's computers break just as fast if not faster. And I highly doubt that the average population (take my little brother for example, he games) has any sort of knowledge on how to fix a computer without contacting someone.

Also, after 3 years a computer will no longer be working in peak condition. If an Xbox runs (until it breaks) it runs at the same performance as always. Computers get bogged down, they get slower and out of date. I can assure you that your computer after 3 years will not be playing the brand new games that come out with any sort of smoothness.

Next, you cite the use of an emulator. Emulators can be expensive (since you have to purchase the emulated games) and difficult to manage. They are not conducive to average gamers. As you can clearly see it is more convenient to use an Xbox over a computer. If you want to use a computer to do things the Xbox can do you have to install all sorts of drivers, configure your computer and purchase and use an emulator. And then there is no guarantee that all of these things will work properly or that your computer will be strong enough or up to date enough to handle it all.

The Xbox 360 is clearly better than the PC.

[1] http://www.xbitlabs.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
benbig1

Pro

Great argument indeed. I don't really know how to reply, so.. I'ma forfeit. You played well. Perhaps computers aren't gaming machines, and best for things like coding, editing etc. You won, very well done.
ConservativePolitico

Con

Thank you for the respectful concession.

Good debate!
Posted by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
Yes, but the net benefits outweigh that.
Posted by ConservativePolitico 5 years ago
ConservativePolitico
Yes but see you had to spend an extra 400 bucks. I couldn't do that. Xbox is convenient for the common man.
Posted by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
"On Xbox you can get all the great graphics of the latest games without having to buy a top of the line rig to get them to play. I can play Skyrim on my Xbox but my older laptop can't handle it. It is inconvenient. "
PC gaming is an investment. My computer cost only like 400$ more than a regular one, and it can handle a lot of stuff with max settings.
ConservativePolitico
It was actually a very good debate. Esp. since it was his first.
Posted by SuperiorArsenal 5 years ago
SuperiorArsenal
I'm glad to see someone actually concede respectfully in the face of a superior arguement. It shows positives for BOTH sides. The winner obviously won, so much so that he completely convinced and opposite view point. The loser shows that he actually understands the arguement and doesn't relentlessly pursue victory in the face of greater facts.

So congragulations, both of you.
Posted by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
I want to debate this now.
ConservativePolitico
Shh.

How did you figure that out so fast? You know too much...
Posted by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
CP, You are crazy.
Vote Placed by daytonanerd 5 years ago
daytonanerd
benbig1ConservativePoliticoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded. Con put up the better argument.
Vote Placed by Ixaax 5 years ago
Ixaax
benbig1ConservativePoliticoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
benbig1ConservativePoliticoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded, though Con carried arguments throughout anyway.