JMSJMS
BillMaher

PC's are better than Mac's(ASUS,HP,IBM, etc.+Windows vs. Apple)

Started: 10/30/2012 Category: Technology

JMSJMS

Pro

During this debate, I will be fighting for PC's. The debate will be 5 rounds:
1:Acceptance/First Arguments
2:Rebuttals
3:Defence/Second Arguments
4:Rebuttals
5:Defence/Final Arguments
The time to argue will be 72 Hours

EDIT:(ASUS,HP,IBM, etc.)+Windows vs. Apple computers+Apple OS

ARGUMENT

Cost: Macs cost more than PCs and actually have a higher preformance:cost ratio than PCs, that is, they give you less per dollar(Macs)
Program avaibility: Many people argue that Macs are more secure because they are used less and so there isnt as many Mac viruses out there. There actually are less viruses for Macs(That does not make them more secure), but that also means that some programs are not avaible on Macs(Including many firewall and antivirus programs)
Security:Imagine that there was a crowd of people in white shirts and red shirts, and the red shirts outnumbered the whites 9:1 and that all the red shirt-clad people were wearing kevlar vests and the white-shirts are only hurt by pistols.If a man were to blunder in and start shooting a gun everywere, the white-shirt people are only marginaly more secure than other people in the crowd, and when they get hit, it hurts them much more. With only one person shooting, they are most likely secure, but for this analogy to work, there would be dozens of different guns firing off into the crowd, and the security afforded by white-shirt immunity provides only a very small amount of protection. While every bit helps, it would be much better to be wearing kevlar than to have the strange protection
Updates: I recently voted on another Mac vs. PC debate were this was said in favor of Macs:"Puma reworked Finder and added support for DVD, camera, 3D, printers and other hardware. In Jaguar, they revamped finder again, this time adding Mail, Address book, and a plethora of other apps used today. In Panther, there was a new UI, development tools, and Safari. Tiger updated many apps and added Dashboard. Leopard reworked the UI once again, and the UI of lion started to take shape. Snow Leopard COMPLETELY reworked the usage of RAM and rewrote Finder."While those are good updates and are nice to have around, Windows is in a completely different leauge. Every time Windows has released a new version, it has been Radicalydifferent than the previous versions. Windows makes the kind of updates above every month. The difference between Puma and Snow Leapord is the kind of thing Windows does with every new version and, as is evident, Mac does that about every 4 or so Versions

BillMaher

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for his opening argument.

Macs are infinitely better than PCs. Beautiful hardware, smooth, fast software, and futuristic features set Macs apart from PCs significantly. Plus, the ability for Mac users to integrate all of their Apple devices with their computer is not something that PCs have to offer. I shall now respond to your argument.

Cost: Yes, Macs generally cost more than PCs. But let's focus on quality, not quantity.

"Macs cost more than PCs and actually have a higher preformance:cost ratio than PCs, that is, they give you less per dollar(Macs)"

If Macs have a higher performance to cost ratio than PCs, wouldn't that mean they give you more per dollar?

Program availability: "There actually are less viruses for Macs(That does not make them more secure), but that also means that some programs are not avaible on Macs(Including many firewall and antivirus programs)"

I'm not sure what you mean by "That does not make them more secure". Isn't that exactly what having less viruses DOES do?

"but that also means that some programs are not avaible on Macs(Including many firewall and antivirus programs)"

Macs have, as some may say, a "built-in antivirus software". With this, why would Mac users need to install any firewall or antivirus programs?

Security: "Imagine that there was a crowd of people in white shirts and red shirts, and the red shirts outnumbered the whites 9:1 and that all the red shirt-clad people were wearing kevlar vests and the white-shirts are only hurt by pistols.If a man were to blunder in and start shooting a gun everywere, the white-shirt people are only marginaly more secure than other people in the crowd, and when they get hit, it hurts them much more. With only one person shooting, they are most likely secure, but for this analogy to work, there would be dozens of different guns firing off into the crowd, and the security afforded by white-shirt immunity provides only a very small amount of protection. While every bit helps, it would be much better to be wearing kevlar than to have the strange protection"

Your analogy is not entirely accurate. Yes, Macs are able to get viruses, but there is a significant difference between complaints of Mac and PC viruses. The life of almost every PC ends with a virus, but the only reason that you hear people abandoning their Macs is to get the latest model.

Updates: I entirely disagree with your point. The difference between Snow Leopard and Lion is huge, with new features like Launchpad, Notification Center, Mission Control, iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime just to name a few. The difference between Windows 7 and 8 (the most recent Windows OS) is a new dashboard and social networking integration. Mac has had those since Leopard back in 2007.

I await my opponent's response.
JMSJMS

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for his argument.

Allow me to correct myself: COST:PREFORMANCE Ratio is higher, more cost, less performance per dollar

Aesthetic beauty is a nice thing to have in a computer, but not when there is ZERO personalization. Maybe I don't like silver as a color and would prefer red. With a PC, I can change this, with a Mac, I cannot

The life of almost every PC is quite long, and generally ends due to hardware failure. My Astronomy teacher has a PC that is 9 years old. I have never heard of anyone with a Mac that old. Oh, and Macs need to be new to have all the latest things? Well PCs are upgradeable. If I want the newest drive, GPU, RAM chip, Windows version, I can get it installed on my existing computer; I don't need to break out another thousand dollars on the newest model.

PC's come with inexpensive warranties that often cover complete replacement of the device

The analogy is quite accurate, there would be a 1:9 ratio of Macs to PCs, and quite a few people with guns. Actually, you're right. It's more like a zombie apocalypse. About half of the time someone gets shot, they pick up a gun and start shooting. And, when Macs get hit, they get hit hard. And as Macs get more popular, these risks will increase. And I hear someone leaving their Mac because of a virus more often than I hear them leaving a PC for the same reason, Because 99% of the time a PC gets a virus, even if the computer gets a virus like Trojan.Ransomlock, there are ways to get rid of the virus. On a Mac, when you get a virus, You have to throw the computer in the trash and go buy "the latest model". In addition to having more viruses, Windows also has more tools to remove them, and also more effective tools. And even if I need to replace the computer, It does not cost nearly as much as it would if I owned a Mac.

As for the difference between Snow Leopard and Lion, they may have added a few programs, but Windows reworks the system every time. The difference between Mac versions may be large, but the difference between Windows versions are much larger. And we don't really need dates, different OSs add different features at different times. If one person picks up a gold watch and wears it, while another person picks up a gold ring and wears it instead of a watch, neither of them is necessarily better.

PC has Safe mode, Windows has Command prompt, you can boot discs and drives that are capable of removing even the most severe of viruses. Does Mac do this?
BillMaher

Con

BillMaher forfeited this round.
JMSJMS

Pro

I would like to wonder why my opponent could not be bothered to reply to my argument.

“Futuristic features”

If I had a clock that was made out of marble, cost $500, and had 3 clock faces, but couldn't’t tell good time, than I would probably be better off with a slightly less beautiful clock that could give good time.

“Futuristic features”

What futuristic features? Rounded corners?

Security:

• In a world with at least 71,000 known weapons and millions of attackers, being immune to “some” of the attacks is not nearly good enough
  • Some attacks, such as DDoS attacks, will not discriminate. The will hit Macs and PCs and Macs won’t be equipped to handle the attack
  • “With this, why would Mac users need to install any firewall or anti-virus programs?” Uh, maybe because the built-in features are crap? Haven’t you ever seen IE(Pre v.9), Safari, or Windows Firewall? Built-in features are almost always crap, but on PC, I can get antivirus and firewall to defend myself.
  • I would like to direct you to this VERY interesting website: http://www.defenceindepth.net...
  • And to here: http://www.tomshardware.com...

I don’t need built-in software to sync devices, I can get software for that for free on the Internet

Most free software is only compatible with PCs. Software that people actually care about. People at Mac spend so much time working on hardware that they let their software applications fall behind, a big problem because most Mac-compatible software is built by Apple.

“The only reason people leave their Macs is to get the latest model”

Now why would someone be silly enough to do that? For both PCs and Macs the difference between different models is a few small hardware updates. Why would someone waste upwards of $1600 on such small things? I think this statement was made to exaggerate a fallacy (“The life of almost every PC ends with a virus”)

As for Mac OSX updates, On the scale of Operating Systems, these features are no more significant than Minecraft’s “Secret Friday Updates”

BillMaher

Con

BillMaher forfeited this round.
JMSJMS

Pro

now this is just dumb.
BillMaher

Con

BillMaher forfeited this round.
JMSJMS

Pro

JMSJMS forfeited this round.
BillMaher

Con

BillMaher forfeited this round.
Posted by JMSJMS 4 years ago
JMSJMS
Okay, he needs to start showing up to this debate if he wants to have a chance at winning
Posted by BillMaher 4 years ago
BillMaher
I believe we are talking about the platform and its native OS as a package.
Posted by TheElderScroll 4 years ago
TheElderScroll
It seems that we are talking about PC+Windows? Mac can run Windows OS (via Parallel for example) and some other unix based OS while PC can run Mac OS as well. So are we talking about PC in terms of its capability or we are arguing about whether Windows OS is better than Mac OS?