bsh1
whiteflame

PMF Debate Voting

bsh1
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

bsh1

Pro

Intro

Because Whiteflame and I had so few votes on our PMF debate, we have decided to create this second debate to hopefully attract some additional votes on it.

To that end, we have tied our first debate so that only the voting here reflects the outcome of our initial debate ("The United States should use private military firms abroad to pursue its military objectives").

Rules

Voters here must vote based on who they thought won thhe following debate: http://www.debate.org...

Any moderation that would've applied to a vote on the original debate should also be applied to all votes cast on this one.

This debate has open voting with the select winner system, just as its parent debate had. Voting will last 2 weeks on this debate, to give plenty of time for people to cast votes if they so desire.

Thanks...

...to anyone who reads our PMF debate and votes here! Whiteflame and I both greatly appreciate it.
whiteflame

Con

Looking forward to getting some solid feedback on our debate!
Posted by tejretics 6 months ago
tejretics
I have noticed that on "judge voting," judges are more committed to vote on debates because (a) it feels like they were specifically asked to do so from the start, and (b) there's so little number of possible voters that it makes judges feel like it's an obligation to vote. That might work.

For the record, I read the debate, but I simply didn't have time over the past month to write an RFD... I wrote the initial parts of one, but didn't get down to finishing it because (1) I just couldn't decide on a winner, and (2) I didn't have time.
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
I think there's some overlap there. Disengagement with voting may partially be the result of perceived difficulties involved in doing so on debates like this. If that is the major problem, then it's all the more disappointing. People used to at least read debates like this on a more regular basis. I'm getting the impression that there are very few who are doing so with this one, and if the basis for that is that this debate would be too difficult to vote on, then it's all the more frustrating.
Posted by bsh1 7 months ago
bsh1
Or, that voters are only willing to invest minimal time to vote, meaning that debates like this, which require more time, are off-putting to voters.
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
Yeah, it's pretty disappointing. At this point, it seems pretty clear that this isn't an issue of time allowed to vote. Seems like there's just a general disengagement with voting.
Posted by bsh1 7 months ago
bsh1
I don't know what else we could've done to get votes...it's really frustrating.
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
Yep...
Posted by bsh1 7 months ago
bsh1
This was really sad...
Posted by OreosAreCool 7 months ago
OreosAreCool
@hammer, private military firm
Posted by SaxonHammer 7 months ago
SaxonHammer
Dumb dumb try reading all the text first Saxon (lol)

This dumb sucker in now gonna vote - oh you don't want dumb people voting.

Well, remember you invited me to vote :)
Posted by SaxonHammer 7 months ago
SaxonHammer
I don't know what PMF stands for - hopefully it is explained - wiki gives this https://en.wikipedia.org...
Vote Placed by kasmic 7 months ago
kasmic
bsh1whiteflame
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: http://www.debate.org/forums/miscellaneous/topic/90257/1/#2518316
Vote Placed by fire_wings 7 months ago
fire_wings
bsh1whiteflame
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments. It was a great debate, and was very spectacular from both sides, an instant Hall of Fame contender. I learned a lot. From the Voter's Team.