SilencedKnight
QandA

Paedophiles Should Be Named and Shamed

SilencedKnight

Con

Paedophiles that have been convicted but then released do not deserve to be named and shamed before their community. It certainly makes sense had that person been a high-level criminal to be named and shamed but then again they wouldn't be released back into public society would they? I'll start this argument off with the fact that these people are still human, then I will resume with the impact of the community and the children in particular then I will go on to finish my argument with my own experience of this.

I am certainly not saying that all paedophiles should not be named and shamed, except for the savages that continue to leer at innocent children, but the people who have been convicted of peadophilia because some child's parents thought the way he hung out with their child was, 'creepy' and 'disgusting'. I'm sure that if you had been wrongly convicted of, let's say robbery where you figured that your child may have put a toy in your bag and you walked out with it, that you would be pretty damned upset when every time you walked past someone, they would flinch and flip out their pepper spray. This is clearly offensive and alienating.

Also by naming and shaming, then telling your children of the dangers of that person who lives on the other side of the street, your kid will be psychologically scarred. Day by day, children grow to fear everyone and therefore affect their future.

My friend was a convicted paedophile. He didn't do it of course, I was there with him. His neighbour has a son, the dad agrees to give the kid to us. He gets dirty, we help clean him up. The mum comes in and she sees, she doesn't file anything against me but she does it to my friend. He spent 24 months fighting for his innocence. Obviously that didn't work, he moved back with a criminal record and by the time he gets home from work, even if its at 3 in the afternoon, all the kids from the area are shoved back into their houses. Today, he suffers from social anxiety and every three days he visits his therapist. This kind of accusation is debilitating especially for someone who is not guilty.

These are few of the many reasons why paedophiles should be able to lead a normal lfie after conviction. Imagine the pain that these people have to go through, the children who become victims or fear rather than paedophilia and the damage done to these humans.
PAEDOPHILES SHOULD NOT BE NAMED AND SHAMED.
QandA

Pro

Thank you for the debate I look forward to a fun and interesting one. First however I would like to clear up a few things.
There is not much point in the whole "wrongly convicted" aspects in which you name. The title of the debate is "Paedophiles should be named and shamed" not "wrongly convicted alleged paedophiles should be named and shamed". They are two different topics and I request that you stick to the initial title so we don't veer way off topic here. Also it is irrelevant to pin point examples of whether this paedophile or that one has a high criminal record previously or not. It would run a lot smoother if we discuss the act of paedophilia as the only crime here.

Now you say "I am certainly not saying that all paedophiles should not be named and shamed, except for the savages that continue to leer at innocent children". There is a bit of a contradiction in that statement as perhaps if they were named and shamed in the first place it would be much harder to continue to "leer" at children. In other words it appears you are saying that naming and shaming should only be used after continuous acts of paedophilia rather than before such vile acts may occur again.

Here is an article that sheds a disturbing light on the re offend rate of paedophiles. In Britain, among those convicted of sex crimes against children, 941 have re offended since they were subject to registration requirements. Also figures obtained by the children's charity NSPCC from the National Police Improvement Agency, showed that out of a total of 61,397 sex offenders, 29,837 were for crimes against children. These figures not only show a strong number of re offenders but also show the initial huge figure for sex crimes against children. With these figures in mind I think it is fair to suggest that paedophiles should be named and shamed, just like murderers, rapists etc. are.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Now you seem to make a case against naming and shaming paedophiles because they are human and it will hurt their feelings? Indeed they are human however which do you think is worse, the hurt feelings that the offender will receive or the lifelong mental torment of the young victim?

Now you say "by naming and shaming, then telling your children of the dangers of that person who lives on the other side of the street, your kid will be psychologically scarred." Again this comes down to the question of would you rather your child be aware of who's across the street or say nothing and wait for the day where it might be too late? I think the answer is obvious.

Paedophiles when released often must return to community life. I don't see what normal parents in the area would not warn their children to be careful i.e not talk to strangers, accept items/toys/sweets from anyone, stay close to the area etc. as a result of this child offender now in the area. It could make a key difference
SilencedKnight

Con

SilencedKnight forfeited this round.
QandA

Pro

QandA forfeited this round.
SilencedKnight

Con

SilencedKnight forfeited this round.
QandA

Pro

QandA forfeited this round.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
"I am certainly not saying that all paedophiles should not be named and shamed, except for the savages that continue to leer at innocent children, but the people who have been convicted of peadophilia because some child's parents thought the way he hung out with their child was, 'creepy' and 'disgusting'. I'm sure that if you had been wrongly convicted of..."

Sounds a bit much like you are saying falsely convicted child-molesters, should not be named and shamed. Which is a truism.

Also be sure to use spell check.