repete21
DrAcula

Paintball is a healthy sport, which creates usefull skills.

Started: 12/13/2007 Category: Sports

repete21

Pro

I personally am an avid fan of the sport paintball, and upset at attempts to stop this sport, which builds character, teamwork, and both physical, and mental strength, I would like to debate someone who is familiar with the sport.

1-Paintball builds many skills which can be used later in life.
Paintball is a sport which builds skills such as teamwork, stealth, respect, physical, and mental strength, awareness, and social skills, because the game is often played with people you don't know.

2-Paintball is safe when proper precautions are taken.
When proper precautions are taken paintball is safe, and there is minimal damage to an aware, and prepared player.

3-Paintball is misrepresented.
People often think of paintballers as the kids who drive around shooting old people with paintball guns. This is not the case, but is a rare few, and most of these people do not actually paintball, but only own a gun.
DrAcula

Con

1-Teamwork I can see, but stealth? C'mon, we're not all going to be Navy Seals. I can see where you are coming from but playing a game that can be considered barbaric is not a good way to appease the soccer moms. Paintball COULD be helpful, but learning such skills would be easier and more convenient if you went to a team building camp. That's more focused on getting you through multiple obstacles, not just getting shot at.

2-Laser Tag is safe also. I don't want to CP, but you could also go water gunning, nerfing, things like that, that could be more cost effective (Paintball guns are sorta pricey, I'm sure you have to make, or buy your own paintballs, which aren't reusable, and your own gear). These could be as cheap as buying a ticket, or paying a rental fee.

3-I don't believe it is misrepresented. It seems pretty mainstream, events have been on ESPN, I believe, and lots of kids at my school go do it.

Maybe ten years ago (if it was out then), it was misrepresented, but not now.
repete21

Pro

DrAcula, you don't seem to have taken a side on this debate, I didn't say that paintball is misrepresented as a good sport, I said it is misrepresented as a way to cause havoc by shooting old people. You also seem to overlook the fact that the point of paintball is fun, the benefits are just side effects, for lack of a better word. So a boot camp/training camp cannot be paralleled to paintball. Also, I did not say anything about the cost of paintball being cheap, honestly, I would rather play with someone who is willing to work to get their gear, it shows me that they are serious about the sport, and not some yahoo who is trying to make a bad name for the sport. On your argument pertaining to water guns, and laser tag, neither of these two provide the same skill as paintball. In paintball you need to be able to be aware of your enemy, and be alert at all times, in a water/laser fight, your enemy has to be at a rather close range for a "kill" and such skills are not required, also, laser tag, on the scale required to build these sills, is a very rare thing. You don't build teamwork running around in a room full of mirrors shooting everything you see, nor do you build any of the other skills which you do in paintball, and I agree with you on the stealth argument, but it is a skill you learn, regardless of how you use it later in life.
DrAcula

Con

Well excuse me for taking your title literally.

I never made a correlation between Boot Camp and Paintball, but again, it's not misrepresented. If people are willing to pay for it fine, I don't really see where this debate is going, but I will argue anyway.

Have you ever played a "real" game of Laser Tag? That's not people running around, it's people moving slowly, using hand signals, etc. It is actually like a real military operation. If some idiot runs around shooting everyone in a serious match, he'll most likely be taken down.

Your perception of Laser Tag seems like the same perception a "yahoo" would have of paintball. In paintball, it is my understanding from paintball, is that you can hit someone anywhere, it a serious game of laser tag, you have maybe six places you can shoot at to hope to hit. It's more precise.

There are different levels of gaming between the two, but I believe paintball is taken seriously, and Laser Tag really isn't, judging from your perception from it. The advantages from paintball can be found in any team activity in the world.
repete21

Pro

You have said nothing to negate the fact that paintball is healthy, and creates good skills, therefore, I have no more arguments.
DrAcula

Con

If your statement is that it's healthy and creates good skills, then there's really nothing to argue about. The thing is though, there are a lot of other things that are just like this. It's not really significant, the healthiness, or the skills. You could go running, and burn calories, you could participate in group activities, to get those skills. There's just other things you can do.
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
trains you good for taking on islamic terrorists if you ever decide to live in Israel
Posted by repete21 9 years ago
repete21
Thank you wheelhouse, I agree, and cannot believe that I didnt mention preparedness
Posted by wheelhouse3 9 years ago
wheelhouse3
I agree with you repete21. I personally love the sport and believe that it has many beneficial values to it. You mentioned a good few of them, but I think you have overlooked a very important value that will help you argue your point to someone who believes that paintball leads to violence and is dangerous to players and society. The Eagle Scout motto is to always be prepared. Well, in my opinion, paintball gives to its player a level of preparedness. Are we really so secure as a country to say that no enemy will ever invade or attack us? No. If something ever should happen who do you think would be more prepared for it; dedicated paintballers who have spent a lot time to have the skills required in that sport (which I think we all know what they consist of) or someone with none of those skills?
Posted by nrw 9 years ago
nrw
lol repete

he's right.

no arguments were made that disagree with the claim that paintball promotes useful skills

a better argument would have been if someone were to argue that the skills paintball promotes are not "useful" - that would have been interesting

this "lazer tag is like a military operation too" thing really doesnt matter - thats fine, lazer tag is sweet, maybe even better, but its irrelevant - as far as this debate has gone, paintball still promotes usefull skills, thus i vote aff
Posted by repete21 9 years ago
repete21
I was looking for someone who believes that paintball leads to violence and is dangerous to players and society, anyone with this opinion, feel free to challenge me.
Vote Placed by behindblueeyes 9 years ago
behindblueeyes
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by Wharrel 9 years ago
Wharrel
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by Schnozberry 9 years ago
Schnozberry
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by frank_gore_is_da_best 9 years ago
frank_gore_is_da_best
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by hattopic 9 years ago
hattopic
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by JoeDSileo 9 years ago
JoeDSileo
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by the_conservative 9 years ago
the_conservative
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by MWorley 9 years ago
MWorley
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
repete21DrAculaTied
Vote Placed by ilovelennyl 9 years ago
ilovelennyl
repete21DrAculaTied