Axelthane
Njlamp

Pair of Pants(PRO) vs. A Pant(Con)

Axelthane

Pro

The first round is acceptance, no new arguments in the last round. This is a debate on whether we should keep calling pants (jeans, shorts, khakis, etc.) a pair of pants, rather than calling one of them a "pant". No trolling. I am on the side of continuing calling them Pairs. Cite all of your evidence.

definition: Pant- an outer garment covering each leg separately and usually extending from the waist to the ankle "usually used in plural

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Njlamp

Con

I accept your challenge. This is an issue I have no experience in and this is my first debate, but I will give it my best shot.
Axelthane

Pro

Hello! Welcome to Debate.com!

I believe that pants should be kept the way they are, because of many reasons, but one I will discuss now is the fact that pants are essentially two objects, and two objects that are meant to be used together are by definition a pair. This brings me to my second point, which is that originally, pants WERE actually two different articles of clothing. You put each one around one of your legs and then tied them around your waist. Somewhere along the line, someone had the brilliant idea to connect the two to create 'one' cloth that you wore.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com...#
Njlamp

Con

While pantaloons used to be 2 separate leg pieces with no hip or crotch that were typically worn under your trousers, they were rarely used separately, and were made 2 parts mainly for convenience and ease of manufacturing. Making 1 garment that could easily fit, be adjusted, be comfortable and be cheap enough to bring in any revenue from the masses was too difficult at the time, so instead they resorted to the easier to make, easier to sell and easier to replace, pantaloons.

Those, however, are not pants. Pants and the term "A pair of pants" was typically used to describe the outer garment and under garment as a pair, and became so synonymous with what you wore on your legs that they never bothered correcting it when pants or a pair of pants as we know them now were invented. So if the under and outer garment was called a pair, than 1 on their own should be called a Pant.

One grammar question that I find interesting is if you could call 2 "Pairs of pants" a Pair, and if so, would it be a pair of pairs of pants?
Axelthane

Pro

Answering your grammar question, 2 pairs of pants would be called just that, 2 pairs of pants. When I said that they were two different articles of clothing, I thought that it came with the understanding that they would be used together. You said,
" typically used to describe the outer garment and under garment as a pair, and became so synonymous with what you wore on your legs that they never bothered correcting it when pants or a pair of pants as we know them now were invented." The undergarment under your pants is what I'm assuming is what is covering your lower half, to some extent. This is due to the fact that your crotch and backside would not be protected very much, due to the pants being two legs that are not connected at all. If they became synonymous and then were attached to each other, the resulting pair of pants is still, by that standard, two articles, and therefore is a pair.
Njlamp

Con

Njlamp forfeited this round.
Axelthane

Pro

Axelthane forfeited this round.
Njlamp

Con

Njlamp forfeited this round.
Posted by Njlamp 2 years ago
Njlamp
Sorry, Ive been busy, i forgot about the debate
Posted by skipsaweirdo 2 years ago
skipsaweirdo
I always thought they were called pants because that's what you do while putting them on. Some of us breathe harder, most of us pant.