Pandavas were the rightful heirs to the throne of Hastinapur

Through this debate, I wish to challenge the highly decorated belief that the Pandavas were the rightful heirs to the throne of Hastinapur. I am of the opinion that the Kauravas instead were the ones who deserved to rule the throne.

It is my simple argument that once you renounce any power/authority/status, you lose all rights to command any sort of control over it. Building on the aforementioned argument, I believe that when Pandu renounced the power to rule Hastinapur and his brother Dhritarashtra was crowned the king, the latter assumed all rights to rule the kingdom in any way he wanted, i.e., he became the ultimate owner of it. As a consequence of that, naturally the sons of Dhritarashtra would hold the rights to inherit the kingdom from their father.

I firmly believe that it was wrong of Pandavas to even demand any stake to the throne of Hastinapur.

I would expect the following from my challenger,
  • Response to my argument
  • Any other argument that he/she may deem fit

read thisto tradition the elder son inherits the throne after his father retires
but Pandu having the upper hand(due to obvious reasons) took the throne while Dhritarashtra assisted him. But after the passing of Pandu the throne was of Dhritarashtra.

Now coming back to your question;Duryodhan was rightfully the crown prince for two main reasons:

He was the eldest son to the present king.
This automatically makes him the crown prince and justifies his claim to the throne.Also he was theoretically elder to Yudhishtir which further justifies his claim over that of Yudhishthir.

Yudhishthir was adopted.
As we all know, the Pandavas were not exactly sons of Pandu.Each one of them were a "gift"(which I presonally doubt) from the Gods which in no way makes them the royal blood. Pandu could not touch either one of his wives due to the curse and hence could not impregnate them. All the five Pandavas were merely adopted by Pandu just so that he has someone to carry his name.

So when Duryodhana claimed the throne of Hastinapur,he actually deserved it being the eldest Kaurava. Yudhishthir, on the other hand, didn't even deserve Indraprastha for crying out loud!
Written 30 Aug 2014 " View Upvotes
More Answers Below.