Addy44
PossieTV

Pansexuality--is it a real sexuality?

Addy44

Addy44

Pro

Some people argue that pansexuality is the same as bisexuality, but actually, they're different. The word "bisexual" means someone who is attracted to both men and women. The word "pansexual" means someone who is attracted to anyone, regardless of sex or gender. The word "bi" itself means two, so bisexual would be "two genders." However, there are more than just two genders. Aside from men and women, there are the identities pangender, third gender, agender, genderfluid, genderqueer, FTF, MTM, and many, many more. So bisexuals are attracted to two genders and pansexual said are attracted to all genders.
Some people say that pansexuals just "make up" their sexuality, but you can't make a sexuality. You are born with it in you. Pansexuals are put in the world able to love anyone. Saying that pansexuals made up their sexuality is like saying animals made up their species.
In conclusion, pansexuality is a real sexuality. It is different from bisexuality and it wasn't just "made up," so it is as much a sexuality as heterosexuality.
PossieTV

Con

I would like to begin by conceding that pansexuality is real in the sense that people believe it is real. I believe a better title for this debate would be "Is pansexuality a legitimate sexuality?" I would argue that it is not. It is instead, the same as bisexuality.

Pro's argument confuses the term "gender" and "gender identity" when she states, "However, there are more than just two genders. Aside from men and women, there are the identities pangender, third gender, agender, genderfluid, genderqueer, FTF, MTM, and many, many more." She says gender with the intention of saying biological gender. She says identities with the intention of saying gender identities. Gender is a biological thing. Gender identity is personal thing. It's dictionary definition can be found at "http://dictionary.reference.com...;. A person can only be born with male or female genitalia. There is no third classification of genitalia (i.e. no biological third gender). Someone can identify as whatever gender they want to but they will either have male or female genitalia. Therefore a person can only be biologically attracted to male or female genitalia. That leaves us with only three sexual orientations: heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual. You can be attracted to the genitalia of the opposite biological sex, the genitalia of the same biological sex, or the genitalia of both sexes. According to Pro's definition of pansexual, they are attracted to any gender. This means they are attracted to both male and female genitalia. They are therefore bisexual in the natural sense. Now, they may be attracted to any type of biological male or female regardless of their sexual identity but that is an attraction to a personality trait, not a gender. It is the same as me saying that I am attracted to all women despite their political leanings. I am heterosexual but am more open minded about a certain character trait (in this case political leanings).

Thank you for your time.
Posted by Addy44 1 year ago
Addy44
Thanks very much! I enjoyed debating with you too and I also hope we can debate again!
Posted by PossieTV 1 year ago
PossieTV
Congratulations Addy! This was really fun and I hop to debate you more in the future.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Sincerely_Millenial// Mod action: Removed<

6 points to Con (Conduct, Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: (1) Con because science dictates that there are only two genders (2) Con because science STILL dictates there are only two genders (3) Tied because both of them were smart enough to use spellcheck (4) Pro did no provide any references to support multiple genders, biological proof of being born "into" a sexuality while Con did (5) Con provided one source of a globally accepted definition while Pro failed to provide any source at all.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain conduct. (2) Sources are insufficiently explained. Merely stating that one side presented a globally accepted definition doesn't show that those sources plays a significant role in the debate. (3) The voter needs to address specific arguments made by both debaters, and instead appears to spend most of this RFD examining reasons why he agrees with Con. While those reasons may be sufficient to negate on this resolution, the voter needs to couch that decision in the arguments from both sides, and not just the arguments they disagree with.
************************************************************************
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
@Sincerely_Milenial, what you are refering to are sexes, not genders.
Posted by Addy44 1 year ago
Addy44
Sincerely_Millenial, please stop. I am not making excuses. I am comfortable with what I choose. I am not making up labels. I didn't coin the term pansexual. Therefore I did not make it up. And in any case, it is my right to be able to identify with the label I am most comfortable with.

Posted by ImaRealMeanie 1 year ago
ImaRealMeanie
What exactly is FTF and MTM short for, anyway?
Posted by Sincerely_Millenial 1 year ago
Sincerely_Millenial
Dear Addy44 there are ONLY two genders. You either are male or female, there is no in between. You are either born with a XX chromosome (female) or an XY chromosome (male). You either have male genitalia or female genitalia. If there are only male and female humans, then you can only be attracted to two different sexes. Bi means two which makes anyone who is BIsexual the same thing as PANsexual not different. Stop making excuses for your choices. There is nothing wrong with be attracted to the same or opposite sex, but the fact that you are trying to put science behind your choices just proves that you are still not comfortable with the fact that you made them. Get over it. Love yourself. And stop making made-up labels for something that doesn't exist to make yourself feel better.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
First off, none of what you just said appeared in your RFD. Second, even if it had, you never directly analyzed specific arguments made specifically by the debaters, which is required for your vote to be sufficient. Third, even if you'd provided all that, that analysis would only have justified arguments and sources at most. You awarded all 7 points. You had to justify S&G and conduct, since you chose to award them.
Sincerely_Millenial
Tired of my votes being removed for no reason. I gave a reason as to why I agree with Con, it's clear that he won the debate because he is the only one who provided a source or any scientific evidence to support his argument.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame

7 point to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Science proves that there are only two physical genders making bisexuality the only physical choice you can choose when attracted to "anything". Pansexuality is not a sexuality it is a lifestyle, which is a different debate. You are either attracted to a physically biological male or female. There is no other gender.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain conduct, S&G or sources. (2) The voter appears to just provide their views on the debate and not clearly examining the arguments made in the debate.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Addy44PossieTVTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments section.