lord_megatron
Alycelilylilan2

Paper(con) vs typing (pro)

lord_megatron

Pro

Why waste paper? Type all the stuff out, no handwriting and ink issues either.
Alycelilylilan2

Con

I think typing to save paper is a very reasonable idea. It is also good for the environment. But I typing also causes eye problem. When you're typing, you blink your eye less than when you are writing. This can cause dry-eye. People then go to the doctor or buy eye drops, which spends money. I think writing is better than getting health problems by typing.
lord_megatron

Pro

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Blink rate while reading paper - 4.5 mean avergae
https://www.uihealthcare.org...
Blink rate while working on computer (typing)- 5.1 to 6.6
As you can see reading paper does more damage, although my sources as they claim that research into blink rate and computer vision syndrome isn't complete. But I am sure that reading does almost as much damage as typing. For the money issue, calculate the amount of pen and paper you bought in your lifetime, versus cost of laptop and glasses. They should come up to be roughly equal, or at least close to each other.
Plus, writing consumes ink and uses up paper, which is against the environment. And my handwriting is terrible. In typing font remains constant unless you change it, but while writing sometimes font can change depending upon speed of writing. Plus this debate is typed. Transferring paper across countries would be far too difficult.
Another point to add is that pen can not be undone, but typed material can be. Once, I chose a wrong essay topic and had to rewrite my whole essay, wasting ink and paper as erasing would consume far too much time. But while typing, I could have easily selected the text and erased it. And I could bring it back if I wanted with control z. Typing helps avoid major grammatical errors through automated spelling and grammar checks.
Save paper, start typing!
Alycelilylilan2

Con

http://learningenglish.voanews.com...

http://www.medicaldaily.com...

Just at these articles says, writing is more effective for remembering than typing. Also while you are writing an essay, you could get a message from a friend and get distracted. Getting distracted when you are focused on something is irritating.

When you make spelling mistakes while typing, the computer will underline it or automatically corrects it. But is this really good? When you write you make spelling mistakes. But you review what you wrote and correct you're mistakes. I think this is very important because it help you to know how words are spelled correctly. If you have been typing for a lot and don't realize your mistakes, you will remember those words in an incorrect spelling. What happens if you don't have an electronic device or dictionary next to you and you have to write something? You probably would make a lot of mistakes and get a bad score on it.

Sometimes you have to have to study or write an essay until late at night. But the computer's light starts hurting your eyes.
But when you write on a paper, you can continue until you get sleepy!

In human race, being civilized is important. Writing is one of the reasons that explain why humans are considered civilized.
lord_megatron

Pro

As for the civilized argument, you mean to say the human race couldn't be considered civilized before the invention of paper? You want to say that we aren't debating in a civilized manner at the moment?
"Also while you are writing an essay, you could get a message from a friend and get distracted. " Exactly, while typing you could open multi-windows and be multi-tasking if you are up to the challenge. Or you could simply disable the wifi. While writing, your phone would beep as well.
Spelling mistake correction- Yes, I agree that typing sometimes can ruin spelling. But then if we convert fully to typing, then we would never have to "write" essays, and therefore spelling wouldn't matter so much. Also, the synonyms button really helps increase my vocabulary, otherwise my clumsy memory wouldn't be able to remember many words. I learnt new words through the synonyms button.
Hurting your eyes- Dude, what is wrong with you? The light only starts if you work continuously for 4-5 hours. Otherwise it is tolerable. Plus, paper requires an additional source of light, which ain't good. Suppose if you are somewhere where you don't have an additional light source (say, camping/forests) and you have to take notes about a new species you found, what will you do? You left your torch back at camp, and your pen is out of ink. But having a laptop is good enough. The battery can run out, but then it has a good lifetime. (I know, not a plausible scenario, but still)
Plus, if you run out of paper, you are doomed. But no such problem on laptop or phone, surely a 50 kb file won't hurt your storage. Gel pen ink smears a lot as well. Someone can use a pen as a weapon to poke your eye, but no one is mad enough to break a laptop.
Also, paper can be easily damaged by water, but laptops with waterproof cover won't. And a drop of water will make your writing illegible but laptop won't crash so fast.
And trees my friend, trees! Can't you endure a little bit eye-damage to make sure global warming is stopped? Think of yourself as a war hero, and the eye damage as a battle scar.
Alycelilylilan2

Con

Well its the same with typing/using a computer. If you run out of battery you can't use your computer anymore unless you charge it. While when you write you can erase you wrote and continue writing on the same paper. ( In this case, im reffering to using a pencil or erasable ink)
You also said that, "if you run out of paper, you are doomed. But no such problem on laptop or phone, surely a 50 kb file won't hurt your storage. Gel pen ink smears a lot as well. Someone can use a pen as a weapon to poke your eye, but no one is mad enough to break a laptop."
Firstly, if you're computer breaks, you can't type too.
Secondaly, not all people use ink. Some people use pencils or mechanical pencils.
Thirdly, some people will use their laptops as a weapon. They just have to buy a new one.

"And trees my friend, trees! Can't you endure a little bit eye-damage to make sure global warming is stopped? Think of yourself as a war hero, and the eye damage as a battle scar."
Sadly, i have to agree on this one. But using a computer also contributes to global warming. Do you know how electricity is made?
Posted by lord_megatron 11 months ago
lord_megatron
Tell airmax to manually activate your voting license. That's how I did it
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
I feel like Pro takes the win. Pro's points about using a computer include: Less trees being cut down, ease of reading others' works, and the computer pointing out spelling mistakes. Con concedes the trees argument. Con then ignores the argument about Spell Check. This site itself shows that Spell Check exists, helping Pro, and negating Con's argument. Pro was able to refute various constructive arguments from Con, like the lighting damaging your eyes. Pro then says you can make numerous Word Document entries. Con tries to refute this by claiming your computer could break. The thing is, though, I believe a lot of people take care of their belongings, especially computers.

Overall, I think Pro had the better arguments. Pro had good grammar, while Con kept using "you're" instead of "your". S&G goes to Pro. Conduct was alright. I usually don't read sources, so I won't give an opinion on that. I still have yet to activate voting privileges, though, so you won't be seeing my vote soon.
Posted by dr_sepheroth 1 year ago
dr_sepheroth
I do not believe that we will be typing on our computers for very much longer. The way Speech Recognition is going, very soon we will be talking to our computers with perfect perception on the part of the computer and perfect clarity on the part of the recipient. Weather it is a letter, chat, or spread sheet, Artificial Intelligence is brining to computing a new level of, human to computer, interaction.

Once we get past the stage of speech recognition I would imagine, we as a species would be using a device very similar to an Electro Encephalo Gram to communicate directly with our computers.
In this way all we would have to do is think what we want to say, and the computer would type the words on the screen.
Posted by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
You have to have some butter and salt on that corn as well. That's the only way to eat it.