The-Governor
sidewinder

Pardoning Nixon was the right thing to do.

The-Governor

Pro

I will be arguing the fact that Gerald Ford made the proper choice in the pardoning of Richard Nixon in the wake of the water gate scandal.

My opponent will oppose this idea and explain their reasoning why.
The-Governor

Pro

Pardoning Richard Nixon was the correct thing to do because it ended a long and tedious scandal and that would have made people lose even more faith within their federal government and with their leadership within the nation. It would cause a stronger divide amongst our citizens that we already faced throughout the 1960s and the early 1970s. And if a trial were to start it would be very difficult for a former president to obtain a fair trial in such circumstances as this, and it would only extend the scandal and the National nightmare. By pardoning Nixon, Ford quickly and decisively ended the nightmare once and for all.
sidewinder

Con

When gerald Ford pardoned nixon he robbed the American people of justice and showed that certain members of society were above the law and needn't follow the rules of the common people. For I think rather than ending the nixon scandal and restoring americas trust in government it actually further hurt the American peoples trust in federal government because when the government was given the chance vigorously pursue corruption they instead gave the mastermind of this corruption a get out of jail free card. You might dispute that this restored trust in the government but to me history tells a very different tale for 6 years after nixon was pardoned america underwent a conservative resurgence that promised a smaller government and less government interference. These traits were popular in goverment because of the "crisis of confidence" that the american people suffered after the Watergate and its corrupt ending that let president Nixon avoide justice
The-Governor

Pro

The-Governor forfeited this round.
sidewinder

Con

I extend my arguments
The-Governor

Pro

The-Governor forfeited this round.
sidewinder

Con

sidewinder forfeited this round.