rawritsmichelle
PryorPirate93

Parents Should be Blamed for Their Child's Obesity

rawritsmichelle

Pro

My opinion is that parents should be blamed for their child's obesity, whether it be partially or fully, they do influence their child's weight. The parents of children are the ones who provide food for them, so they have direct control of what their child is consuming, so they should be able to help their child maintain a healthy weight. Parents also have control over what their children do, resulting in the fact that parents could enroll their child in an excersize program or at least stop them from sitting around inside all day.

This debate is not focused on those who gain weight due to disease; it is focusing on children becoming obese due to food consumption.
PryorPirate93

Con

I really disagree that parents should be blamed for their child's obesity. It's not like the parents are shoving the food down their child's throats. Kids are soley responsible for what they consume. Kids dont just eat at home. They can eat at school, with their friends at McDonalds, ect. So childrens parents arent the main influences in what thier children eat.
rawritsmichelle

Pro

"It's not like the parents are shoving the food down their child's throats"

The parents are, however, buying the majority of food that their children eat.

"Kids are soley responsible for what they consume."

Their parents are the ones who buy the food that is available at home, so how could the children be 'soley responsibe'?

"They can eat at school"

The majority of schools have supplied healthy foods for students due to rapidly increasing rates of obesity; also, have you considered the many students who bring food from home?

Thank you for accepting this debate. :)
PryorPirate93

Con

1ST OFF YOUR WELCOME AND WOULD YOU PLEASE ACCEPT ONE OF MINE PLEASE?????
Yes some schools do supply healthy food choices but that is only as far as i know for 1/3 of the schools population. And have you considered that schools have alternatives to just a tray lunch such as, as it's referred to at my school Ale Cart. Which includes fries, burgers, nachos, everything you can find on the McDonald's Menu. So the parents buy what the kids eat at home but parents do pay attention to what they do buy their kids for food. not every parent buys their kids Fruit by the Foot, Tootsie Pops, and all that other junk that causes childhood obesity. So the parents can and do enforce healthy eating habits!!!!!!!!!
rawritsmichelle

Pro

"not every parent buys their kids Fruit by the Foot, Tootsie Pops, and all that other junk that causes childhood obesity."

Then again, not every child is obese. The parents who carelessly buy fattening foods and leave it in the house already influence what their children will eat, because why choose to eat vegetables when junk food is lying there? Children do not understand this, and therefore will eat the food that is bought by their parents. The majority of children do not eat their food outside of home except for at school, and at school, I know that many countries are opting for a change in food, and this will probably happen.

Also, once again, parents could urge their children to excersize or play outside instead of sitting around all day.
PryorPirate93

Con

Okay many countries are opting for healthy food but that hasn't happened yet so as of now it's not there. And how can parents urge their kids to play outside or whatever when their busy buying food thats not good for their kids as you previously stated!!!! And I know you said we aren't debating with diseases and stuff but it is an inevitable fact that obesity is in the gene pool. So like it's already in the genes and the parent has no controll over that. So how is it the parents fault?!?!?!?!?
And this is off the subject but do you have any idea where i can find decent Values and Value Criterion for school debate cases!?!?!?!?!
And how can kids play outside when they have homework!?!?!?!?! Where I go to school there is alot to be tackled; like the debate case I have to have done by 4th period tommorow for instance..........
rawritsmichelle

Pro

"And I know you said we aren't debating with diseases and stuff"

Then why bring it up? I clearly stated in my opening statement that we are not debating about diseases and such, but food consumption. Therefore, for everything mentioned about diseases, I will call it out as invalid.

"And how can kids play outside when they have homework!?!?!?!?!"

How do people do extra curricular activites? Homework, on average, takes up thirty minutes to two hours for an elementary school, and perhaps one hour to two hours for gifted. Most schools release children from school around 3:00. This leaves them with four hours at the LEAST with the maximum amount of homework.

"And how can parents urge their kids to play outside or whatever when their busy buying food thats not good for their kids as you previously stated!!!!"

Parents do not spend their lives in grocery stores; they could at least mention excersize OR allow them to do extracurricular activities after school. However, when parents notice that their child is obese, they should at least try to change their lifestyle a bit, because a family's lifestyle really does make a difference for a child's weight. Who directs the family's way of life? The parents.

"Where I go to school there is alot to be tackled"

Based on your profile, it says that you are in highschool. Highschool is VERY different than elementary school in the amount of work and such people get.

Parents are at fault for their child's obesity because they buy the food. They are in charge of what their children do, and they lead the lifestyle of their children. Children need excerize and healthy food. Parents are responsible for both areas. Lack of these things will cause obesity. Parents have control over this, and can stop it. Children's schools are not guilty, because the majority are changing their menu to stop the rapid growth rate of obesity. Fast food places do hold a bit of the blame, but like my opponent has said before, "its not like they're shoving food down the kid's throats".

My opponent has failed to prove any clear points as to why parents should NOT be blamed for obesity; he has only provided counter-arguments. Hopefully he will state many points in the final round.
PryorPirate93

Con

YEAH IM KNEW TO THIS WHOLE DEBATE THING.....
OKAY MY OPPONENT SAID that diseases were out of the debate but the fact that obesity IS a DISEASE so how can we leave disease out of the entire thing?!?!?!?!
My opponent killed the main factor of why kids are obese in the first place.
Dude in case you didn't know Obesity is a disease!!!!!!!!
My opponents argument should be completely thrown out because as I have previously stated
OBESITY IS A DISEASE
MY OPPONENT FAILED TO RECOGNIZE THAT SO THE CASE IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU TO MY OPPONENT AND ALL VOTERS!!!!!!!!!
Posted by stfuss 7 years ago
stfuss
In some of the cases, it is parents who are responsible for child's obesity because being a responsible parent one should take care of their children by telling them the consequences of over eating. As this is one of the important issue in children, parents need to be more educated on this issue before and help their children with all the important information.
http://www.troubledteensguide.com...
Posted by babykg 9 years ago
babykg
I think parents are NOT to blame for their childrens obesity, because some kids are just born with it or its some vitamins.
Posted by PryorPirate93 9 years ago
PryorPirate93
Thanks to whoever voted for me yo!!!!!!!!!
Posted by PryorPirate93 9 years ago
PryorPirate93
Good debate yo I'll bring better game next time!!!!
I was just bored..
Congrats on the huge win!!!!!
Posted by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
If a child is obese (not including obese due to certain diseases or health issues.) then it is the parent's fault. The parent's provide the child with their food and have authority over them. And no, obesity is not a disease. Also, both the person's lifestyle and their food choices lead to their body shape. I too eat a lot of food which is unhealthy, but just becuase I am not considered obese, this does not mean that I am extremely healthy either. If a person eats only ice cream, they are not supplying their body with the proper nutrients needed. Also, about cafeteria food, if the parent was concerned about their child's diet, then they should pack a lunch for the child. This is true for restaurants also. Nothing is forcing you to buy cafeteria food or forcing you to eat at McDonald's. The parent is in charge of the child and buys the food that he or she eats. Therefore, the parent is responsible for the child's weight and diet.

P.S. If you disagree with me, challenge me to a debate. :)
Posted by GaryBacon 9 years ago
GaryBacon
Obesity is NOT a disease. I'm sick and tired of people that always want to shun responsibility and blame someone or something else. In most cases, the only one at fault for obesity is the obese individual. The people that wish to label it as a disease are fake.
Posted by proaz 9 years ago
proaz
Lack of exercise is what creates kids obese. I eat a lot and my parents buy a lot of fattening foods and I am thirty pounds under weight. I think that it is the childs responsibility to control his or her weight. But i voted
for the pro because he had a better debate
Posted by rawritsmichelle 9 years ago
rawritsmichelle
No problem! Good luck to you too! :)Oh as for the obesity is a disease, I was talking about your "gene pool" etc. etc. counter-argument
Posted by PryorPirate93 9 years ago
PryorPirate93
Good Luck Dude!!!!!!!! Thanks for starting this debate
Posted by PryorPirate93 9 years ago
PryorPirate93
Sorry for attacking countries then.... And any help with values and value criterion would be really helpful dude!!!!
To anyone out there any suggestions please?!?!?!?!?!?
Vote Placed by KingDebater 1 year ago
KingDebater
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by cookielove13 7 years ago
cookielove13
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by vaclav 9 years ago
vaclav
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by babykg 9 years ago
babykg
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by Kmille11014 9 years ago
Kmille11014
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by dairygirl4u2c 9 years ago
dairygirl4u2c
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by slammin 9 years ago
slammin
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied
Vote Placed by skizzils 9 years ago
skizzils
rawritsmichellePryorPirate93Tied