acipolletta88
h0lmboii

Parents feeding their children fast food

acipolletta88

Con

Everyday parents are bringing their children to fast food restaurants such as McDonald's, Burger king, Wendy's, etc. People are always wondering why their is an increase of obesity in children. Well, maybe one of the reasons could be poor food choice. Every generation of our youth is increasingly gaining more and more weight. Fast food is indeed a huge factor in this problem. Parents always give the excuse that they do not have time to cook or they need something quick for dinner, but it only takes a few minutes to boil some pasta. To me, this excuse is just a cover up for being lazy. Fast food is also a bad habit to get into. For instance, I know of a two year old child whose parents constantly give her fast food chicken nuggets. This has become such a normal routine for her that when she was given the choice of a piece of ham over a chicken nugget, she refused to eat the piece of ham. Instead she ate the fast food chicken nugget whole. This is not a good start to a healthy life style for this child. Now, it is not only the child eating this way, but the child's parents as well. Children look up to their parents as role models and if a parent is constantly eating fast food, their children, more then likely, will too. If you ever took the time to look at the calories in a Big Mac or a 12 piece chicken nugget, you would probably never step foot in a McDonald's again. Now image a five year old or even a two year old eating these kinds of foods. It's almost sickening to think that we are helping our children become obese by setting bad examples.
h0lmboii

Pro

I thank my opponent for starting this debate

I would like to start off by saying there's nothing wrong with feeding your children fast food.

My opponent stated the following: "People are always wondering why their is an increase of obesity in children. Well, maybe one of the reasons could be poor food choice. . . Fast food is indeed a huge factor in this problem."

I will have to say that fast food is not a huge factor in this problem, the main cause of increased obesity is high-fructose corn syrup (for this i will call it HFCS). Several studies have shown, when using mice, that feeding one mouse the recommended diet against another mouse with a diet with HFCS, giving them the same daily routine to do, the mouse with the HFCS in its diet gained a significant amount of fat. Given this study, I declare my opponent's statement as false. I expand by saying the huge factor in the problem with obesity is diets with high amounts of HFCS, or children who consume decently large amounts of soft drinks. Calories only start to matter when you begin to intake more than your recommended daily amount, so I say that fast food has no big part in the epidemic of obesity.

My opponent also stated: "Parents always give the excuse that they do not have time to cook or they need something quick for dinner, but it only takes a few minutes to boil some pasta. To me, this excuse is just a cover up for being lazy."

This information is false, not all parents give that excuse. And even when they do, it's not always an act of laziness. a.e. You could be on a long trip and become hungry, you could pull over and stop somewhere and boil yourself some pasta, but are you going to? I would assume not, but is it an act of laziness to not do so? I would again disagree, fast food was designed as a stop and go restaurant, where you could get fast, cheap food. Given not all "fast food" restaurants are cheap. Some people find the taste of the food very pleasing, so they purchase and consume more than others. It goes the same way for all foods, for example your pasta. You may actually boil your pasta instead of stopping at Mcdonald's or any other fast food restaurant simply because you prefer the taste and find it to be more filling. But this may not be the case. Some parents may not have the time to cook a healthy meal, or maybe they prefer it. But this does not mean they are lazy.

In short, fast food is not a huge cause of obesity and buying from the restaurants does not dictate whither a parent is lazy or not.
acipolletta88

Con

Yesterday, I discussed a reason for childhood obesity. The truth is sometimes painful to listen to or read, this topic certainly getting a lot of attention, I think. I want to raise awareness about childhood obesity and a major cause parents. While there are ads on TV for fast food restaurants that intrigue children, that's what sparked my of debate about who exactly is responsible for this problem. Many articles I read believe parents are to blame.

I have have read and believe parents of overweight kids ignore the problem. Strange that they think it's just that their kids will grow out of it. Maybe they are overweight themselves and don't see any problems in the future. Perhaps they just want to blame the others( the food manufacturers and fast food stores, school education for the their child's weight problem).
We can probably both say that the temptation for fast food is in every city or town, making it an easy dinner choice for parents who are over-worked and too busy to prepare a home-cooked meal. Maybe you may even agree that things like unhealthy meals at schools,kids telling parents they want to stay inside and play video games and the internet is causing kids to become obese. But can we really blame society/internet/fast food restaurants for making our kids fat? Or let's make it the Parents!! Some parent's even say that it's the kids fault. They're the ones making the choices to eat the sugar, fatty foods. They're the ones who are playing the video games. Instead of riding a bike. But who are their role models at home? and where are they getting the money and permission to eat this way?
It boils down to the parents. McDonald's doesn't do home delivery. We live in a country where two-thirds of all adults are now overweight and parents don't know how to teach healthy habits when they, themselves, don't know what to do.
h0lmboii

Pro

This is not true, while there are some cases when it is. Obesity can be genetic, I know of many people who come from families of obese people and the last few generations are no different in weight than the rest of the family. My friends may be obese, but they have a healthy diet and exercise much, much more than I do and I'm underweight with the worst eating habits. some people are just unlucky enough to be born with a lot of fat and the inability to physically lose it without surgery of some kind. But is fast food to blame?

I don't think so, in all reality you could go your entire life eating nothing but ice cream and candy and be relatively skinny, you just have to make sure you're burning off the excess amount of calories you intake. Now I'm not saying you will be healthy if you do so, because you won't. Your body need the vitamins of fruits, vegetables and the various other foods in the food pyramid. So fast food is only a problem if you're just lazy all around.

Parents can't be to blame for this. You can tell your children that you'll get fat if you eat fast food, but will that stop them? Chances are it won't. Every human has the ability to make their own choices, no matter what the situation is. But the human race in general has been searching for easier ways around everything; communication, construction and so on. So you can't really blame the parents for what our entire race has been doing our entire existence. As I said before, we have the choice to choose fast food or a home cooked meal. But when certain circumstances come up, fast food becomes by far the easiest option, so we tend to choose it to allow ourselves time to do what we need to do in the meantime.

I do agree that the parents are the role models in the house, but it's possible that the child will still choose to eat it with or without parental permission. Most kids are given an allowance to spend what they wish and when you're a child, or teenager would be more realistic, and you're with your friends in town and you pass by a McDonald's or other fast food depository, and realize you're hungry, It's more likely you'll walk in there for a burger or something small instead of journeying home for a snack. It's more realistic of the human species to do what's easiest. You can't say it's the parent's fault for teaching a kid something they will always do.

Obesity has always been on people's mind, especially of those who are obese. There's nothing we can do about it, we could shut down all the fast food restaurants but that won't stop people from making their own fried and greasy foods at home. It all boils down to a personal choice. You can eat as much fast food as you want and not get obese, as long as you give your body proper exercise to balance it out.

And lastly, pertaining to the actual reason this started, I still firmly believe that there's nothing wrong with feeding your children fast food.
acipolletta88

Con

acipolletta88 forfeited this round.
h0lmboii

Pro

h0lmboii forfeited this round.
acipolletta88

Con

Who passes the bad eating habits to the children? Parents buy the food and or gagdets that enable children to get obese and make them stay inside the house? Yes kids sometimes are stubborn and will want to eat what and where they want, but parents ultimately have the last word or say.
The children need to be encouraged doing activities outside or in the playground rather than sitting down doing nothing for their health. I can't think parents will want an overweight child, so you would think they already should be looking into the future. I think obesity is mostly caused by parents considering what they spend on their child's techno gadgets. These games, Ipods, computers, internet which encourage their child spend more time sitting, watching TV etc. Kids who have been dealing with obesity for sometime should finally tell their parents it's not just the unhealthy foods that brought us to this stage, but all the money you give me to play games, buy Ipods etc...

I think there are some simple ways parent's can address or change their kids habits and make them healthy again. First you would probably want to turn off the television, Ipods, PCs, Computers and game systems. All that is addictive. It's true for parents, and it certainly is true for kids, who spend most of the day sitting in school, watching TV , texting, typing, looking at you tube. This is valuable time they could spend riding a bike, tossing a ball, shooting hoops, swimming, helping around the house etc... It's up to the parents' in charge and to take charge, to set limits, as challenging as that might be with their kids.

Second and most important is to set an example or be their role model. Telling your child to exercise regularly and eat well doesn't mean they will( squat ) if you're unwilling the unwilling parent to do the same or set that example. Please teach by example. Make walking, choirs, and physical activity a priority in their and your day. Plan active weekend outings for the whole family to participate, and daily activities like: walking after dinner, biking to the local store, stroll around the park.

Parents can make a difference, just observe some of your friends!!!!
h0lmboii

Pro

I would just like to say that my arguments against techno gadgets, games and the rest of the other points would be in fact pointless and void since this is about fast food. I feel that yes indeed fast food corporations can be a liable cause to obesity in America, but it does not quite seem so legitimate of a statement. Only 4.1 percent of American's make sufficient enough money to go out and eat fast food such as McDonald's on a regular basis. With that being said, increments of fat is a healthy addition to a daily diet. Thus it is safe to say that it is not that big of a factor. Besides that, it is in fact possible to get a healthy meal at a fast food restaurant. On a final note, I think also that you can just as easily go into a supermarket and buy equally unhealthy food choices. So if eliminating the chain of fast foods, why not just eliminate all unhealthy snacks and items that you can get at a supermarket? It would be the next best thing for these binge eaters.

The two leading causes of obesity in America are people that eat when they are not hungry, and habitual junk food eaters. One or both of these, on average, can be found in most of the families throughout America. If you were to just never have junk food in your house and never let your children have them, then what's left for them to do? I think it's most likely going to cause them to want to go out and eat with friends or even sneak snacks while their parents are not watching.
acipolletta88

Con

So in conclusion I will finishby saying that fast food restaurants are not responsible for childhood obesity, because the parents/kids who purchase and consume unhealthy foods are responsible for their own food choices. Fast food restaurants (Mcdonalds,burger king,wendy's,arby's) should not be held responsible for childhood obesity, even if their menu options encourage unhealthy eating. Parents need to take responsibility for the food choices that they make for their children. No restaurant picks you up at your door step and forces a family to eat their food or dictate what or how much is ordered off the menu. In simple thought it would be trying to hold liquor stores responsible for someone driving drunk or developing alcoholism. Unless parents take responsibility for their own decisions and influences the decision of their kids real change will not occur.

A parent should teach a child to heed hunger cues and to not fill his stomach till he/she feels sick, try putting limits. Although eating should be enjoyable, at the end of the day, it is about properly nourishing the body with the right amount of calories and nurtitious food. The Children and their parents are at fault. Don't fault the company, don't point the finger.. when someone ends up doing something that is bad for their well being they are responsible for it, and so are their parents.

So to end this debate I will have to conclude we are creating a perfect formula for childhood obesity with the media, advertising, and inactivity,video games, and computers. Parent's and society couldn't do a worse job at this time in history of keeping children overweight and unhealthy. Please parents in America do the right thing for your children and yourself!! Be a role model to your kids and do it today!!!!

Thanks to my opponent for participating!!!
h0lmboii

Pro

h0lmboii forfeited this round.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
So true. Tempted to take this debate and just point out the conveniences of fast food (i.e. time saved when you may not have much of it, money saved compared to a home-cooked meal, etc.) and ignore the health harms, since they can come from a whole bunch of other places. There's a specific logical fallacy to her arguments, but I can't think of what it is right off the top of my head. Maybe affirming the consequent? I could be wrong.
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 4 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
Rather then criticizing fast food, how about looking at all the video games and technology. One meal of fast food every 2 days is nothing compared to letting kids sit on their @$$es all day everyday. :)