InGodwetrust33
mbm16

Parents should be held accountable for their children in school

mbm16

InGodwetrust33

Pro

Throughout the years, I have seen parents become less and less involved in the education of their children. It seems that in some places, the only way to get parents to show up to school is to offer free food, have a dance party, or offer a raffle with the opportunity to win something. Otherwise some of them (not all) could care less. They see the school as a free babysitting service, and if the child fails or misbehaves it's something the teacher did. I call major WRONG on that. Anything the child is doing at school also happens at home and the parent is more than likely aware of it. They just may not know how or even have the desire to handle it.
My argument is that parents should be required to be more involved in any school they send their child to. Yes, work schedules are difficult but some parents don't even work, so they should be more present in the schools in a collaborative way. This does not mean they're up there trying to tell teachers how to do their job, but they are supporting the educational system that they are sending their child to and are just as much at fault if the child fails as the teacher. The teachers these days are dealing with more and more parents who would rather sit back and not pick up the phone or come to a conference. Then when the child brings home a referral or bad report card, they come up to the school ranting and raving about how the school was out of line.
Forgive me, but no. Anything a child does is the sole responsibility of the parent/guardian. It's their child. The school teacher is a part of the education process but they only govern their classroom. The parents' job is to make sure that their child does their best in school.
I'm open to all who choose to debate this, but please come up with arguments that make sense because I'm a bit tired of some of the excuses I've read and heard. Seems like some parents may need to go back to school because they missed a thing or two.
mbm16

Con

I would like to begin by thanking my opponent, in hopes for a respectful debate.
Let me start by asking the following question: who is considered a child?
Most would define a child, simply, as a "young person," who is not equipped to deal with life's struggles independently. Legally speaking, however, the definition is a little more specific; something along the lines of "a person under the age of legal competence" (thefreedictionary.com). With that, a child reaches such a point of legal competency at age 18, at least in the United States. Thereafter, this person develops, grows, learns, and - in good hopes - thrives on there own, without their parents hovering over his shoulders.
I then raise the following question: if a child does not learn self accountability before he/she turns 18, will there ever be a point at which he/she does learn genuine self accountability? Is it fair that the parent(s) of a child who is 17 years and 364 days old faces harsher consequences than the parents of an eighteen year old, based on the actions of their children? In principle, both the 17-year-and-364-day-old and the 18-year-old are psychologically competent; if one can make logical decisions in school, than so can the other.
Furthermore, in proposing a system in which "parents should be held accountable for their children in school," one is presuming functional, nuclear families, that are no longer typical in the evolving world of family structures. Many minors attend public schools without having traditional parents; they are raised by older brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and friends who would not consider themselves the "parents" of that child. What would happen in such instances? Would the child receive the brunt of the punishment, unlike his friends whose parents take the beating for them? Similarly, would a single mother who works full-time be expected to contribute as much to booster clubs and parent organizations as a married mother who stays at home?
You see, forcing parents to take full accountability full accountability for their children in school is not only unrealistic, but is counter-effective and unfair to struggling families. Those who propose a system by which parents maintain complete responsibility over children not only fail to recognize variants in family structures, but also negatively reduce the expectations of minors regarding education.
InGodwetrust33

Pro

InGodwetrust33 forfeited this round.
mbm16

Con

Once again, forcing parents to be 100% accountable for their children diminishes the responsibilities of the younger generation and assumes a perfect family condition.
InGodwetrust33

Pro

InGodwetrust33 forfeited this round.
mbm16

Con

In conclusion, it is completely arbitrary for one to assume 100% responsibility for one's children.
Posted by LogicalLib.org 2 years ago
LogicalLib.org
Of course parents should be involved but if their not, why punish the child? Their hopefully going to grow up, and sans education what have we accomplished? Another uneducated adult unable to contribute to society. Also consider why parents are less involved. This is a bad economy, many people work 2+ jobs and still struggle. This isn't the 90's w a booming economy, people have to make hard choices. I think most parents would love to go to their child's school function, but are struggling to just feed their child, I mean we have the highest childhood poverty rate among developed countries and I hardly think people are just opting out of feeding their kids.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
InGodwetrust33mbm16Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture