ForSerious
DarxDB

Parents should be licensed.

ForSerious

ForSerious

Pro

4 Rounds.
1st Round is for Acceptance.
No new arguments in last round.

1,000 character limit.

I recognize the topic is silly, but I would like this to be taken seriously.
If your only argument is that the resolution is ridiculous and/or unfeasible, you will have lost.
DarxDB

Con

I accept the challenge

I will be debating that parents should not be licensed
ForSerious

Pro

Parents should be licensed based on the principle of the greater good. 'Parent' is an adult seeking to become the legal guardian of a minor. Licensing would be controlled by the state. The adoption process is precedent that the resolution is feasible.

Licensing parents would reduce traumatic childhoods. Four children die daily in the US due to child abuse [1]. 30% of abused and neglected children go on to abuse their own children [1]. We can end this cycle by licensing parents.

Preparation for licensing would promote parenting standards. Now parents who would have been mediocre, will have learned the skills to guide their child through growing up.

Reducing traumatic childhoods and promoting parenting standards would create better childhoods, would lead to better functioning adults, would lead to a better future. While questions may arise to rights and feasibility, the principle of the greater good trumps worries of stepping on a few toes.

1. http://www.childhelp.org...

DarxDB

Con

DarxDB forfeited this round.
ForSerious

Pro

Definitions assumed accepted.

I. Reduce Traumatic Childhoods
-Unopposed

II. Promote Parenting Standards
-Unopposed

III. Money
Licensing Parents and regulating those licenses poses a question of cost. "According to the Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy every $1 spent on home visiting yields a $5.70 return" [1]. In addition, child abuse and neglect directly costs the US $124 billion a year [1].

As you can see, I have three strong points, and my opponent has yet to make any. Parents should be licensed. PRO win!
DarxDB

Con

DarxDB forfeited this round.
ForSerious

Pro

Since there is nothing to rebut, I will simply remind you of my points.

I. Reduce Traumatic Childhoods
II. Promote Parenting Standards
III. Save Money

Licensing parents would reduce traumatic childhoods, promote parenting standards, and be cheaper than allowing inadequate parents to be parents.

I encourage CON, if you are still on DDO, to counter my points in the last speech.
I know your chances of winning are slim to none after two forfeitures, but I am curious what the counter arguments would be.
DarxDB

Con

DarxDB forfeited this round.
Posted by ForSerious 2 years ago
ForSerious
Hey Yasa70, comment here or somehow get my attention when you want me to 'reinstate' (as DDO calls it when you cancel then uncancel) the debate I had challenged you to - assuming I am online.

I completely understand real life comes first.
Posted by ForSerious 2 years ago
ForSerious
I have sent you a challenge with the exact same timer and resolution, except you get to be PRO and I get to be CON.
Posted by ForSerious 2 years ago
ForSerious
Okay ... wait a few minutes and I'll challenge you, but with myself as CON.
Posted by yasa70 2 years ago
yasa70
I would love to accept this debate it's just that I want the instigator's side being that parents really should have to go through some sort of crash course or be approved by government inspectors before they have a child right after and at a couple stages during the child's life and although it's tough to create some sort of system like that I would love if it did happen and it can even be an extension of child services
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
ForSeriousDarxDBTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.