solo
BrianFranklin

Parents should be required to pay for their offsprings's college education.

solo

Pro

A high school education is not cutting it in the real world for many people. More of the jobs that pay a salary that allow individuals to live at the Standard of Living (http://en.wikipedia.org...) require a college education.

No person should be burdened with the responsibilty of paying for their own higher education. That is a duty that should fall to a person's parent(s).
BrianFranklin

Con

I come down on the "children should foot the bill" part of the divide. Parents paying for college is a wonderful privilege, but, at the end of the day, I find it reprehensible to suggest that it's some sort of enormous burden that a child shoulder the load for his/her own choice. If a kid chooses an outrageously pricey school - *cough*like I did*cough* - then that's on the child.

I would have loved for my parents to even cover the Expected Family Contribution portion of my financial aid package from UChicago, but it didn't happen. So what? It's my education. If I wasn't willing to invest in it, then I had no business there. Two years later, I don't feel like my $200 a month loan payments are any huge boulder weighing me down. The education was well-worth it.

You are an adult once you reach 18, it's your responsibility to take care of yourself!
solo

Pro

<>

It was not the child's choice to be born in the first place; nor was it the child's choice to be responsible for the poor judgments of past generations that led to an enormous burden of monsterous debt. Choice is not the issue here. The Standard of Living is something that all people should be able to earn when they become adults. It cannot be widely reached without a college education.

<>

Yes, but if a kid chooses a modestly priced school, there is not a requirement for any parental duty to be met.

<>

I live in the USA and find it reprehensible to expect an eighteen-year-old to be responsible for taking care of him-/herself in today's economy without having been properly armed to do so. Yes, once you reach eighteen you are an adult. That should not mean that the parents of an eighteen-year-old that needs to pursue a college education to provide for him-/herself should be free from such an obligation.
BrianFranklin

Con

The parents have spent a lot to take care of you in the past 18 years.
They also have their own expense needs to be cover and save up for their retirement.
You can take couple years off and apply for financial aid from the federal government, grants from school and other organizations.

I made it, so do many others. I believe you can, as well!
solo

Pro

The parents have made an investment to raise their kids because it was their choice to have children and do so. I simply think that they should be obligated to finish what they started. I realize that they my have their own expenses, but if they were responsible they should've anticipated this necessity to help ensure their kids' financial success in life.

I congratulate you for making it, but the point of this debate is not about being able to make it on your own. It is about the obligatory responsibilities parents owe their offspring.
BrianFranklin

Con

What if the parents don't care you go to college or not?

It's good for you, not necessarily good for them. They can refuse to pay due to they don't want their products in a better market.Period.
Posted by infinity 9 years ago
infinity
Parents should not have to pay for a childs education...at that stage in their life they should either get a job to pay for itor ......what I believe should happen ...is that we have "UNIVERSAL" education ..just like Universal Health Care.Education supersedes all other issues.All other priorities either support Education (Health,Nutrition,Shelter) or served by Education.Education is the foundation required to providing jobs, research,health care,nutrition,shelter for it,s citizens.Education allows nations to resolve conflict in a peaceful manner and in solving environmental issues.Education is necessary to raise the standard of living in impoverished countries which are breeding grounds for extremists and protecting human rights.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
Alex, since you're not going to read the debate, I'm not going to read your rant or whatever junk you have to spew. Do you not understand the nature of this website???? DEBATE.ORG Figure it out.
Posted by alexthemoderate 9 years ago
alexthemoderate
This doesn't make any sense.

I haven't read the debate, nor do I intend to read it after I write this rebuttal.

a) Some people can't afford to pay for there kid's college because of financial plans that they have of their own.
b) What about people that wait to attend college? What if someone waits till they are 35? 45? 65? Are you going to make them pay for them then?
c) College is not a guarantee in this country. Even if it was, that still wouldn't mean that parents should be required to pay for something that they may not have agreed to do.
d) The fact is that you don't decide for your kids whether they are going to college or not. Some may have little choice, but ultimately it is neither a requirement nor a guarantee that one will attend an insitution of higher learning.

This argument makes no sense, but that's why it is fun.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
Honestly, I don't think parents should pay for it. I just thought it would be interesting to debate. However, I don't think I'd mind seeing the government pay for higher education the same way they pay for public school.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
solo, Not every parent can afford college. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have children. As for not wanting your child to go to college, many kids put themselves through college themselves and even appreciate it more and tend to be more motivated to succeed. Sometimes bein a responsible adult and doing things for yourself can make you appreciate what you earn more.
No offense taken by the way:)
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
Ugh... Sorry kels1123. I just re-read this and it sounds totally different now than it did in my head when I typed it. Not attacking, just being uppity and poor at expressing myself.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
I'm curious, is this how you'll justify bringing a life into this world and not take responsibility for its well-being should you decide not to pay for college tuition?
.
If people are going to have high expectations of today's youth, I don't see why they don't put high expectations on themselves. Isn't it bad enough that their parents and the parents before them (and so on) have made a mess of their economic futures. And now they're expected to not only deal with that, but make things better for their kids.

Thank you for your input.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I'm with the con on this one, if your parents can pay great , if not you need to provide for yourself ... as an adult it is time to learn responsibility and be self sufficient.
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 9 years ago
JBlake
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by cLoser 9 years ago
cLoser
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by Grandma 9 years ago
Grandma
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by SperoAmicus 9 years ago
SperoAmicus
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by infinity 9 years ago
infinity
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by Raisor 9 years ago
Raisor
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by hark 9 years ago
hark
soloBrianFranklinTied
Vote Placed by Mangani 9 years ago
Mangani
soloBrianFranklinTied