gildardito3
Wylted

Parents should not push religion into their kids

Wylted

gildardito3

Pro

Religious parents typically push their religion into their kids when they are young. They take them to church, show them books about the religion (bible is the common one), and tell them stories that their religion says. I believe parents should not do that but instead show them the different religions or simply give them the books of multiple religions but let them decide. Have them explore religions at an older age in order for them to understand it not just believe in anything they are told which kids usually do. In the other hand, most atheist (non religious) parents do not show religion to their kids. My parents are not religious but allow me to look into other religions and if I believe in one of them they will support me without a problem. My sister goes to church with her friends and we even bought her a bible when she decided to look into religion.
Wylted

Con

Parents Should Push Religion Onto Their Children

Introduction

Thank you pro for having this debate. I'm going to show that parents have a moral obligation to push religion onto their children. Particularly if the parents are Christian. I'll keep my arguments short and elaborate on them as necessary.

Body

Christianity teaches that in order to reach heaven, you must accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. The alternative is Hell. If a parent just sits back and doesn't push his beliefs onto his kid than he is taking a wait and see approach. This wait and see approach might be fine with other things, but with something as precious as your soul, you're not going to want to take any chances.

As a parent you have a moral obligation to do whatever it is in your power to insure your kid avoids burning for eternity in a lake of fire. If you aren't pushing religion onto your kid than you are playing a very dangerous game with your kids fate.

Parents have a moral obligation to insure their kids don't burn in hell. I look forward to my opponents arguments.
gildardito3

Pro

Religion can't be proven right nor wrong so lets not assume because you believe in something it means its true. We all know that just because you believe in something, it doesn't mean that everyone does. What if your kids don't believe in that? You're making them believe something simply because you do. Why don't you show them multiple religions instead of one? You said its about pushing religion into them in order to save them. Does that mean only your religion can save them? I am NOT against religion, I just think they should be allowed to think for themselves before you push your ideas into them.
Wylted

Con

"Religion can't be proven right nor wrong so lets not assume because you believe in something it means its true."

If you believe something is true than it's only rational to act as if it is true. So if believing in a Christian God is something you do, than you have a moral obligation to save your kids from a path you believe will lead them to eternal torment.

"We all know that just because you believe in something, it doesn't mean that everyone does."

This is irrelevant. Put your feet in the shoes of someone who believes other religions are a path tho hell. If that's you than nothing anyone else believes in that respect matters. You can't save everyone, but you should be able to at least have some influence on your child's fate.

"What if your kids don't believe in that? You're making them believe something simply because you do."

Some of these statements from you are irrelevant. What if your child doesn't believe shooting himself in the head will kill him? Do you respect his beliefs and let him do it?

Sure he may be right, but why risk it. Just go with your beliefs and stop your kid from putting a bullet in his head.

"Why don't you show them multiple religions instead of one?"

Because allowing your kid to pick the wrong religion is like allowing them to put a gun to their head. The stakes are your kid's soul. You don't just let your kid play Russian Roulette with his soul.

"You said its about pushing religion into them in order to save them. Does that mean only your religion can save them?"

Obviously, if their fate was inevitable be it heaven, hell or nothing then clearly it wouldn't matter too much what religion they pick. You'd still push other beliefs you have on them though. One belief you might push on them would be; if you thought murder was wrong you'd push that on them to hopefully prevent your kid from killing people.

"I am NOT against religion, I just think they should be allowed to think for themselves before you push your ideas into them."

But you're pushing your ideas into them. Your belief being that you shouldn't push beliefs into people is being pushed into them. Do J have to point out how hypocritical that is.
gildardito3

Pro

gildardito3 forfeited this round.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
If it makes you happy.
Posted by nonprophet 3 years ago
nonprophet
@Wylted Can I stalk you now?
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
make it 3 rounds and I'll accept
Vote Placed by Rhodesia79 3 years ago
Rhodesia79
gildardito3WyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con put down the facts, while Pro just shared their thoughts about it.
Vote Placed by Sswdwm 3 years ago
Sswdwm
gildardito3WyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm not sure of Wylted is doing another one of his famous devil's advocates, but his point regarding parent's beliefs and acting as if they were true does hold weight (helped by the forfeit). Perhaps we do need to be more sensitive towards parents who indoctrinate their children because they genuinely believe it's the right thing to do, and would as Con puts, feel like suicide to do otherwise. It's a sad shame.