solo
AdamCW12

Parents should teach their children to drink alcohol responsibly and in moderation before adulthood.

solo

Pro

Alcoholism wouldn't be the rampant issue that is it today if parents had taught their children to drink responsibly and in moderation before their children reached adulthood.
AdamCW12

Con

Well this seems like it will be intresting i will just go ahead and tear this down in just a few points...

1. Look to the fact the many parent ignore the fact that there child drink in the first place

2. Many religous parents would rather beat there children than talk about alchol with them especially about how much you should drink.

3. Some Teenagers dont drink. Therefore it would be a waste of time

4. Last we have live our society based on the fact of ignorance to alchol and thats how we should remain.
solo

Pro

<<1. Look to the fact the many parent ignore the fact that there child drink in the first place>>

Yes, they do. Then many are devasted and guilt-ridden after their child dies in some alcohol-related accident.

<<2. Many religous parents would rather beat there children than talk about alchol with them especially about how much you should drink.>>

And those children in turn will not only beat their own children, continuing the cycle of abuse, but probably beat their parents, should the parents ever require their children to care for them in their twilight years.

<<3. Some Teenagers dont drink. Therefore it would be a waste of time>>

Some don't, but many more do. It's a matter of responsibilty and making children aware. Many of them don't have sex, but take Sex Ed. Many don't own cars, but take Driver's Ed. Children need education about things like alcohol if they are to be safe and responsible in life.

<<4. Last we have live our society based on the fact of ignorance to alchol and thats how we should remain.>>

The number of alcohol-related deaths/injuries/crimes/violence is out of control and could easily be drastically reduced if parents were a little more responsible and taught their children how to control alcohol consumption.

The fact of the matter is this: When people are taught to be responsible, they are more likely to be responsible people.

In countries, like France, where alcohol is introduced to individuals at childhood, they are afforded less alcohol-related "drama". They have fewer drunk driving accidents/deaths. Alcoholism isn't running rampant in their country as it is in the USA. There aren't any Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) or Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD) Chapters because the tragedies that occur are so minimal that they don't require such programs. When people understand what alcohol is for and how to maintain an appropriate demeanor without losing control or good judgment, they are happy people that know how to have a good time without being a danger to themselves or others.

Thank you for the debate!
AdamCW12

Con

AdamCW12 forfeited this round.
Posted by JonJon 9 years ago
JonJon
I am an American living in Germany. I know many parents teach their kids to drink responsibly. The ones that can, do so infrequently.... then again... a few of my nieces and nephews in the US binge drink.... go figure!
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
I think you're wrong and I'm happy to agree to disagree with you on this topic. Perhaps if you encounter a level of alcoholism that unnerves you, you can think back to this debate and finally know that I'm right.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
You can arm your children with knowledge without encouraging them to drink underage. My mother never told me I could drink underage , but I always knew if I did she would come and get me no questions asked. I also was taught to never let myself get too drunk , never to go off alone while drinking. I knew never to leave my drink. I was very responsible when I drank and I still am. I resent that you make such a generalized statement of Americans , to say that Americans are irresponsible. I think there are irresponsible people in every country, there are also many Americans that are very responsible. There are also many Americans that are not fat , messy drunks and I have been to a few other countries and I can assure you that they don't all view Americans the way you do. They actually seem to have more respect for Americans than you are showing. I am not a slave to archaic notions, I just believe that a parent telling their kids to break laws is a very irresponsible parent. I suppose we should give the parents that are present while teen drinkers come to their house and party (but they won't drive so that is okay ) a medal.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
I suppose what I meant was the majority of Europe is not having a problem with it. And the countries that are, aren't having it at the same level as the US, not because of the size, but because Americans are irresponsible. It's why the world views of us fat, messy drunks. Because we do EVERYTHING in excess, in their eyes.

I think you might be a slave to archaic notions. I appreciate that you obey the laws, but I hope you reconsider your position before you raise teens. Not arming them with knowledge AND experience is a detriment to them.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I am sure that I am not wrong. The UK and Ireland are having serious problems right now with underage drinking, alcoholism is on the rise and there are huge problems with drinking and driving in Ireland, Scotland has a wonderful public transportation system so not so much there with drinking and driving. I was just there this past summer and I know it has been an issue there lately. Obviously the numbers won't match the US as we are a much bigger country. Also to encourage children to break laws is not a good thing. You can talk to your children about drinking responsibility but to teach them or encourage them isn't the way to help.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
I'm sure that you're wrong, statistically speaking. And as for the laws, they should be changed or ignored. The children's best interest should be put first. Mankind is foolish and so are many of their laws.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
European countries are having many problems with alcohol abuse and drunk driving. Some of these countries are even toying with raising the age in their countries to 21 as well. Also since you state that "Parents should teach their children to drink alcohol responsibly and in moderation before adulthood." Technically , that would be teaching your child to break the law, at least the way your wording is.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
Yeah, prohibition never works out. I think it should be legal for all and parents should introduce alcohol to their children.
Posted by Yrael 9 years ago
Yrael
I would have argued that alcohol either needs to be banned or it needs to be legal from day one. Probably the legal one.
Posted by solo 9 years ago
solo
HA! Well, it is a point that I'm passionate about, so I wanted my stance to be thorough.
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by aaltobartok 9 years ago
aaltobartok
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by Grandma 9 years ago
Grandma
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by shaffaq0589 9 years ago
shaffaq0589
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by buttercupx224 9 years ago
buttercupx224
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by JonJon 9 years ago
JonJon
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by smartcookie1884 9 years ago
smartcookie1884
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by VantagePoint 9 years ago
VantagePoint
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
soloAdamCW12Tied
Vote Placed by stevster 9 years ago
stevster
soloAdamCW12Tied