Parents shouldn't send their 14-16 years children to study abroad

I was very interested in this particular topic, because at the age of 15 I dreamed about studying abroad. I tried to persuade my parents to send me to England or USA to study there. But they said, that I am too young for it. Now I'm 18 and I reasearched a lot to understand their point of view. And according to my researches, I can say, that my parents were absolutely right. Therefore, parents shouldn't send their 14-16 children to study abroad for the following reasons:

1) According to the Engstrom & Mathiesen (2012) there are a lot of accidents, which happen with teenage students in another countries because of their carelessness. They are too young to think further or to think about some important things. For example, because of unknowing some laws or traditions of that country those students could be arrested or even killed. And to prove it, the authors present a history about students in Thailand. They had a bad joke, which was understood wrongly and, unfortunately, they were killed.

2) Secondly, it is harder for teenagers to go through the adoptation without any harm for themselves. According to the same article, there are a lot of examples, when students, which came to study abroad, ended their life with suicide.

3) And finaly, 14-16 years old teenagers have too much freedom in another country, because their parents are far away and can not control them. That's why they do a lot of stupid things such as drinking alchogol, getting drugs and smoking. Also the rate of unwanted pregnancy and abortion is very high between 14-16 years old teenagers, who were send to study abroad.

With the proper discipline and or program -- it can be done. It actually can give you many valuable experiences about cultures and with modern technology you can keep in contact with family. All that really needs to be done for it to be successful is a proactive family, and good preparation. If you've shown yourself to be responsible, and you have the money do to so, then there really isn't an issue. If your not doing well in the environment and you have a good parent they should just pull you out and you should be fine.
Posted by HitReaper 3 years ago
I would have made an in depth argument, but for this debate in particular there isn't much I could source.
Vote Placed by Ian159 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Well this is odd. This is one of the first times I'm disagreeing with the person whom I'm choosing to win the debate. Con, though he presented a good argument, was very weak and failed to back up his opinions with facts. Though I agree with con, pro had a better debate.
Vote Placed by ModusTollens 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: The idea that an increase in risk makes a decision untenable is not the basis for an argument. Pro did not evaluate the benefits provided by a term abroad, and therefore his/her argument basically boils down to: "There are things that aren't as safe as beign home; therefore, there's no reason to leave."